Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada's new ETA system and Air Canada's dual-citizen passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada's new ETA system and Air Canada's dual-citizen passengers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Air Canada may not have immigration policing authority, but it has duties and obligations imposed by law. All airlines have these duties and obligations. In Canada, an airline is subject to a penalty for a passenger allowed to board without proper documentation that allows entry at the destination. The airline also assumes the responsibility of returning the passenger to his/her point of embarkation. It becomes an expensive proposition if an airline keeps getting bogus pax. There are some routes where the "unauthorized" travelers are a problem and there is more attentive screening.
Yes - that is why you show Air Canada BOTH passports - one that will let you do pre-clearance at your point of origin, and one that will let you enter your destination visa-free. I do that EVERY SINGLE TIME I travel outside of North America. The red herring being tossed about in this thread is that you can only give a single passport's information to Air Canada.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
I fly on both UK and Canadian passports. I change the APIS info on ac.com to suit & enter UK & Europe on my UK passport and return to Canada on my Canadian passport. It is perfectly possible to enter Canada on a "foreign" passport as a Canadian citizen, it just involves a discussion with the CBSA agent. I've used my citizenship card for secondary ID but a driving licence would work just as well.

Thread drifting slightly, on another forum that I post on, there is a recurring discussion about the risks of being denied travel when returning to Canada with a visa-waiver passport and no Permanent Resident card. (An immigrant can be a PR of Canada permanently should they choose not to apply for citizenship. In reality most PR's will apply for citizenship when they've accrued enough residency time.) The theory is that AC or another airline will deny boarding as the visa-waiver passport doesn't guarantee entry into Canada. The reality is that this never happens and it's possible to enter the country as a PR without your PR card.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
The theory is that AC or another airline will deny boarding as the visa-waiver passport doesn't guarantee entry into Canada. The reality is that this never happens and it's possible to enter the country as a PR without your PR card.
I travelled many times as a PR, and, while I always had the card with me, Air Canada never asked to see it. Though that may have been because I was on a return flight from Canada, rather than a one-way ticket going the other way.

Never had a problem so far with giving them my Canadian passport on the way out and using my UK passport to go into Europe.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Kind of late to the party here, but I have a lot of recent experience with this as a dual Canadian / EU citizen.

Originally Posted by WestonC
Interesting. I am dual citizen Canadian/Euro. I use my Canadian passport for all of my flight bookings. When boarding I show whatever passport comes out as ID - since it really doesn't matter. When I land in whatever country - Asia, Europe, Australia, SA - wherever - I show whichever passport is the most convenient - regardless of using my Canadian passport to purchase the ticket. Of course the USA is different - that's what Nexus is for.
In a nutshell, that's exactly what I do, too.

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
From what I understand. You are not supposed to be carrying more than 1 passport in many parts of the world.
Depends where. Some countries absolutely require you to enter on that country's passport if you're a citizen, so if you're also Canadian then you'll automatically be carrying two passports. But generally, making it known that you're carrying two passports makes passport control officers think you have something to hide.

Originally Posted by The Lev
I've never had a problem booking with my Canadian passport but then using my other passport at my destination.

Where I have gotten into a bit of trouble is showing one passport to enter a country and accidentally showing my other one to leave (to customs/immigration - airline couldn't care less).
Rule #1 of travelling with multiple passports: use the *same* passport to enter and leave a country.

Originally Posted by Guava
That's true re: showing up with multiple passports. To the OP, I think AC only cares what passport you show up at check-in. Say you are flying to the EU from Canada, you are welcome to use your European passport since you are already in Canada, the ETA is irrelevant to AC. But if you are flying back to North America, of course, you want to use your Canadian passport because European passport will require to do ETA and ESTA if you are flying to Canada via the U.S. and you have to pay for both.
I'll also add that when entering the EU with a EU-issued passport, it has never received anything more than a quick glance... it's usually swiped through a computer when leaving the EU, but I swear some passport control officers don't even look at the picture. They definitely don't care what's in the AC PNR since they don't even bother looking!

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I say that, next time any of the people in this thread that thinks there is 0 issues with carrying to passports travel, they step up to immigration and say "I have two different passports from different countries on me right now, is that ok?"
As I said earlier, you want to avoid publicizing the fact that you have two passports. It saves you from having to explain that it's not illegal and you're not trying to hide anything

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I frequently fly out to Europe on one, and return on the other. They just swipe it at check in - or enter the info on OLCI.
This ^

The *only* time someone has known that I was carrying 2 passports was when an OS check-in agent in Moscow was looking for a Russian visa which was in my Canadian passport. I had OLCI'd in with my EU passport and presented it when I went to drop off my luggage. I showed him the Canadian passport, he found the visa, and I continued on my journey "checked in" under my EU passport. No problem at all.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Having 2 passports was just one of the issues I had crossing the border from Greece to Turkey in 2008. Driving a Serbian registered rental car and having a camera all meant that this border crossing took over 4 hours to complete!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4su013xXltQ

Unfortunately the passport issue is not actually recorded on the video since that arose once my camera had got temporarily confiscated by the Greek border guards.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:26 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Good Question...

Why would you ever even think about entering Canada on another passport anyway? You have a right to enter Canada with a Canadian passport, with any other passport you are subject to questions and there is no right to entry, just a privilege.[/QUOTE]

The reason for me doing this is because my US Passport is the one listed in GE & Nexus. I literally NEVER use my Canadian passport when entering or exiting Canada strangely enough!!!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
The reason for me doing this is because my US Passport is the one listed in GE & Nexus. I literally NEVER use my Canadian passport when entering or exiting Canada strangely enough!!!
It's strange that you can't have more than 1 passport listed in Nexus / GE especially considering part of the application process specifically asks about multiple citizenships!

I went to the Nexus office once I received my EU passport. The number was added to the Canadian system because it can store multiple passports. Meanwhile, the CBP officers literally said "we don't care about this" and threw it back at me once the CBSA lady handed it over to them
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
The reason for me doing this is because my US Passport is the one listed in GE & Nexus.
Originally Posted by ffsim
It's strange that you can't have more than 1 passport listed in Nexus / GE ...(
I don't think that is so

When I applied for Nexus it was made pretty clear that ALL passports I held had to be listed. IIRC one of the statements I had to sign my name to on the application was that I had no other passport than those listed.

Both my UK and Canadian passports are listed
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Geoflying
I don't think that is so

When I applied for Nexus it was made pretty clear that ALL passports I held had to be listed. IIRC one of the statements I had to sign my name to on the application was that I had no other passport than those listed.

Both my UK and Canadian passports are listed
You definitely have to list all passports you hold at the time of the application. That is correct.

At the time I applied, I didn't have my EU passport. Knowing it was part of the application process, I went to the Nexus office to tell them I now had another passport. The Canadians cared (and duly entered the EU passport information in their system). They then handed it over to the Americans while telling me, "I don't think their system allows more than 1 passport to be associated with your Nexus." The American took the passport, said, "I don't care about this," and threw it back at me.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by ffsim
You definitely have to list all passports you hold at the time of the application. That is correct.

At the time I applied, I didn't have my EU passport. Knowing it was part of the application process, I went to the Nexus office to tell them I now had another passport. The Canadians cared (and duly entered the EU passport information in their system). They then handed it over to the Americans while telling me, "I don't think their system allows more than 1 passport to be associated with your Nexus." The American took the passport, said, "I don't care about this," and threw it back at me.
Similar - but different. First time applying for NEXUS I only had my Canadian passport that was valid. When I received my renewed Euro passport I took it to a NEXUS office and was told by both US and Canada that they don't care about it and it did not need to be registered. Interestingly I am going for a NEXUS renewal interview in August and will be taking both of my passports to see what they say. I did ring NEXUS during the renewal process online and asked if I can enter my second passport as it was not allowing me to and I was told there is no need for that. Hmmm - where is the consistency?

And I will add a reminder as has been done by several - when exiting a country that requires you to 'stamp out' then you must show the same passport you used when you stamped in.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by WestonC
Similar - but different. First time applying for NEXUS I only had my Canadian passport that was valid. When I received my renewed Euro passport I took it to a NEXUS office and was told by both US and Canada that they don't care about it and it did not need to be registered. Interestingly I am going for a NEXUS renewal interview in August and will be taking both of my passports to see what they say. I did ring NEXUS during the renewal process online and asked if I can enter my second passport as it was not allowing me to and I was told there is no need for that. Hmmm - where is the consistency?
Cool, thanks for the additional info. Inconsistent as usual.

And I will add a reminder as has been done by several - when exiting a country that requires you to 'stamp out' then you must show the same passport you used when you stamped in.
Also be sure not to show a passport that doesn't contain the stamp it's supposed to
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
I fly on both UK and Canadian passports. I change the APIS info on ac.com to suit & enter UK & Europe on my UK passport and return to Canada on my Canadian passport. It is perfectly possible to enter Canada on a "foreign" passport as a Canadian citizen, it just involves a discussion with the CBSA agent. I've used my citizenship card for secondary ID but a driving licence would work just as well.

Thread drifting slightly, on another forum that I post on, there is a recurring discussion about the risks of being denied travel when returning to Canada with a visa-waiver passport and no Permanent Resident card. (An immigrant can be a PR of Canada permanently should they choose not to apply for citizenship. In reality most PR's will apply for citizenship when they've accrued enough residency time.) The theory is that AC or another airline will deny boarding as the visa-waiver passport doesn't guarantee entry into Canada. The reality is that this never happens and it's possible to enter the country as a PR without your PR card.
maybe they are from a nation that does not permit dual citizenship and want it to be much easier to move back home once they have lived here long enough?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:31 am

Huh. Interestingly I have been doing the dual passport thing almost all my life and it has never even occurred to me that showing my Canadian passport at check-in and my EU one at passport control could be a problem! Not once.

Always do it, and in that order, whether going or coming - always Canadian passport at check-in no matter where I am going to/coming from because it is instinctively what I think of as my "ID" then Canadian passport leaving/entering Canadian passport control and EU one entering/leaving EU (and a handful of other countries). It's never been an issue. But then as others have mentioned, never ever try to exit on a passport you did not enter on - that'll get you all sorts of other questions!!

As for not showing 2 passports, I recall once arriving somewhere (can't recall where, but I will acknowledge being young and naive at the time) and handing passport control both passports and asking which would be the smarter one to use.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
As for not showing 2 passports, I recall once arriving somewhere (can't recall where, but I will acknowledge being young and naive at the time) and handing passport control both passports and asking which would be the smarter one to use.
Do you recall how that worked out for you? lol
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Huh. Interestingly I have been doing the dual passport thing almost all my life and it has never even occurred to me that showing my Canadian passport at check-in and my EU one at passport control could be a problem! Not once.
It has never occurred to you because it cannot be a problem. What you show at passport control is none of the airline's business. All they care about is that you check in and board with a passport that will grant you entry into your destination country. If you then manage to clear customs with an ID card from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, more power to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.