Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada's new ETA system and Air Canada's dual-citizen passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada's new ETA system and Air Canada's dual-citizen passengers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
You might be right. I never meant to mislead anybody. It is my experience only and I have clearly stated it as such. I definitely fit the low risk profile but I think most of us on FT do after all
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Last time I renewed my Nexus card, these immigration officers wanted to see my two passports actually.

One cannot hide anymore.
I just *as in yesterday* went to YVR to update my Nexus with my EU passport, the Canadian side entered it, the US side said it was unnecessary.

Consistency is NOT the name of the game.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I just *as in yesterday* went to YVR to update my Nexus with my EU passport, the Canadian side entered it, the US side said it was unnecessary.

Fascinating, as it was the US side who gave me the reminder to be sure to bring my new EU passport in for updating their records. Why am I not surprised?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief

That's precisely what happened to me in YUL when I went a couple of years ago. At least they're consistently inconsistent
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim
That's precisely what happened to me in YUL when I went a couple of years ago. At least they're consistently inconsistent
Indeed. They never asked my wife to show her other passport. although I suspect it's because they are not aware of it?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: AC 75K
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jc94
Just to say, for those only in possession of a non Canadian/US passport that do not require a visa, but do require an eTA, this is being enforced at least in MUC and FRA by AC. The leniency period means nought and they were actively checking everyone against a paper list before boarding.
I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this experience? Or maybe has a suggestion in terms of other airports to fly to Canada through that aren't being as strict?

I'm stuck in a family emergency where I need my starving artist brother to fly to the old country for a week ideally today or tomorrow, but he's never even applied for a CDN passport before & now there definitely isn't time. He's only ever entered Canada on a birth certificate & is convinced this whole eTa thing is no big deal, but (big sister) is terrified he's going to get stuck on the way back at MUC or FRA and miss important exams.

I'm thinking of getting him to apply for a temp passport when he gets to Germany, but if anyone thinks that process could be avoided, or sees an alternative, I'd be grateful to hear it.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itineranthistorian
I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this experience? Or maybe has a suggestion in terms of other airports to fly to Canada through that aren't being as strict?

I'm stuck in a family emergency where I need my starving artist brother to fly to the old country for a week ideally today or tomorrow, but he's never even applied for a CDN passport before & now there definitely isn't time. He's only ever entered Canada on a birth certificate & is convinced this whole eTa thing is no big deal, but (big sister) is terrified he's going to get stuck on the way back at MUC or FRA and miss important exams.

I'm thinking of getting him to apply for a temp passport when he gets to Germany, but if anyone thinks that process could be avoided, or sees an alternative, I'd be grateful to hear it.
If he has no passport he won't even be able to leave Canada. If he is a permanent resident but not a Canadian citizen he'll need a PR card too. If he is in Canada illegally he better continues hiding and avoid travelling alltogether.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: AC 75K
If he has no passport he won't even be able to leave Canada. If he is a permanent resident but not a Canadian citizen he'll need a PR card too. If he is in Canada illegally he better continues hiding and avoid travelling alltogether.
He has an EU passport & is a dual-citizen (sorry, I thought that was obvious from the title of the thread).
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

Assuming he has a Canadian birth certificate, he can re-enter Canada. The problem is getting an airline to take him back to Canada when he doesn't have a Canadian passport. I very much doubt you will be able to get a temporary passport abroad for him. These are usually issued for serious emergencies like natural disasters, wars and civil unrest, not for convenience. Here are some ideas:

1. Since he doesn't and hasn't ever had a Canadian passport, just apply for an eTA on the foreign passport (which isn't technically allowed for dual citizens), use that to get on the plane, then use the Canadian birth certificate to enter the country. Dual citizens are not supposed to apply for eTAs on their foreign passport - but he doesn't have any way of proving to an airline that he is Canadian and we are still in the "leniency period" until September 30.I doubt the government's IT systems will figure out he is Canadian and if they do after the fact, so what? He's a citizen, he has a right to come home.

2. Assuming his foreign passport qualifies him for visa-free travel to the US, book a ticket to a US border town (BUF, BLI, etc) and then take a bus across the Canadian border, again using his birth certificate to get back into the country

3. Find an airline (not AC) that isn't enforcing the eTA requirement yet (not sure if any such airline exists - I know AC, LH and BA are enforcing it now)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He has an EU passport & is a dual-citizen (sorry, I thought that was obvious from the title of the thread).
I beg to disagree with suggestions for short cuts. He just should apply for a Canadian passport on an expedited/emergency basis before he travels.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:59 am

I beg to disagree with suggestions for short cuts. He just should apply for a Canadian passport on an expedited/emergency basis before he travels.
+1

He can even go and enter Europe on his EU passport, so long as someone fedexes him the Canadian passport soon as it's ready, presumably before his return.

Cheers
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
To get a first-time Canadian is a bit more paperwork than a renewal in terms of the guarantors and the form etc.
It could be easier and pretty quick if the brother lives near a passport office that offers next-day delivery. It's more expensive, but peace of mind. Your documents never leave your hands. (I wouldn't want to be in EU on another passport while my original documents were in the mail to Passport Canada.)
To be honest, I always apply for my renewal 2 or 3 days before I travel so that I am eligible for the expedited service. It is worth the money to me to have it faster.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)

As has been stated, the issue is the airline, not CBSA. That's not to say CBSA won't be very unhappy with you and it may be a long delay getting into the country ... but they can't legally stop you as a Citizen.

If you decide to go to the US, make sure you get the right visa or ESTA. Only US and CDN passports are completely exempt. Not all EU countries allow ESTAs, Croatia for example requires a full visa. I can't see what type of EU passport it is.

You will definitely be able to get into the US (with the above) and the border tends to be easier; for example you wouldn't need a PR card either.
You can also apply for the ESTA right now and it'll give you a quick answer as it's more established than the eTA that can take hours/days/weeks.

Now that said, it could again be a delay. Rainbow Bridge had 6h waiting times for PR entries two weeks ago. I suspect a non-passport with birth cert. is going to be low on the list. Pick a quiet crossing.

As others have said, the best case is to delay the flight for two days, drive to a major passport office with the ticket printed and pay for speed.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:16 am

I just saw news reports about the pending change.

Does this impact Nexus holders? When travelling US-Canada you technically don't have to show your passport.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Youponder
I just saw news reports about the pending change.

Does this impact Nexus holders? When travelling US-Canada you technically don't have to show your passport.
The concern is more for travelers coming from overseas who use a non-Canadian passport to board the flight but some other proof of citizenship to enter Canada. They'll no longer be able to board the flight with a non-Canadian passport because, as a Canadian citizen, they won't be eligible for an ETA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.