Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Check-In agents unaware of how to process gift cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM
Thumbs down AC Check-In agents unaware of how to process gift cards

I gave my son an AC gift card to pay for his checked luggage fees at YHZ yesterday.

The check in agent there had no idea how to process this and "had never seen it before". After a long time and a lot of hassle it was eventually processed by a method that was probably incorrect (involving setting the gift card up as a credit card with a fake expiry date) but which nevertheless worked.

Why don't these folks get proper training - at least in how to read the manual on such unusual circumstances (assumes the manual is complete and easily searchable!!)???

Incidentally there was no way to use this gift cert at OLCI either

Last edited by Geoflying; Apr 25, 2015 at 7:43 am Reason: Add comment about OLCI
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Did your son check the balance of the card afterward to see if it was actually taken off?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Did your son check the balance of the card afterward to see if it was actually taken off?
Just checked - it was indeed taken off
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
These kinds of things happen all the time with front level staff (not an excuse, just a fact). And it's not just AC (not defending, just a fact). Happens to me at Tim Hortons at least 2x a month when I want to pay with my iphone passbook.

FYI: if you ever want to pay with your iPhone passbook and the tim hortons person doesn't know how. Just tell them to select the regular gift card like they would if it was physically there to swipe, and then just use the scanner instead. Yup - I found it easier to learn myself and tell them than to rely on them.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Perhaps Ben L could provide us with the instructions to give the Check-In agents in the future (per Sean Peever's suggestion) ???
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by Geoflying
Perhaps Ben L could provide us with the instructions to give the Check-In agents in the future (per Sean Peever's suggestion) ???
That's a whole thread there--possibly a sticky:

"Procedures we need to train check-in agents."

Top of my list is how to SDC a latitude flight pass.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
These kinds of things happen all the time with front level staff (not an excuse, just a fact). And it's not just AC (not defending, just a fact). Happens to me at Tim Hortons at least 2x a month when I want to pay with my iphone passbook.

FYI: if you ever want to pay with your iPhone passbook and the tim hortons person doesn't know how. Just tell them to select the regular gift card like they would if it was physically there to swipe, and then just use the scanner instead. Yup - I found it easier to learn myself and tell them than to rely on them.
I found it rather funny watching the staff at a local Tim's try to figure out how to use the CIBC Double Double Visa--after about 10 minutes, they finally got it to work. Firstly, I didn't understand why anyone would get such a card (and I've only ever seen one used on time, and I'm usually in Tim's twice per day). Secondly, it's their own branded credit card, that collects rewards at their store--they should know how to redeem them like any other gift card.

Poor training on the front lines seems to exist everywhere.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: *$ Green
I have a feeling I read this exact thread not too long ago...

Too bad I can't find it.

Maybe it was to pay for preferred seats? Hmmm...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: AC Altitude 50K, BA Blue, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, DVC, NEXUS
Funny - I only considered the gift card usable for flights. I never thought of the option for baggage fees.

Sounds like something I could consider giving people for Christmas! *GRIN*
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I have a feeling I read this exact thread not too long ago...

Too bad I can't find it.

Maybe it was to pay for preferred seats? Hmmm...
I thought it was for baggage fees, so the same situation...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond

At least twice per year in YYC I get a priority check in agent unsure how to remove baggage charges for a SE travelling on an AE ticket. Given this issue has been around for years, you would think agents would know how to do this.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Here it is.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...d-useless.html
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sean Peever

I remember flying a UA mileage run when I was E75K, but only had an E35K card, and I didn't want my number on the booking. I learned very quickly how the lounge agents could verify I was *G

JF-AEROPLAN_NUMBER*AC

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
That's a whole thread there--possibly a sticky:

"Procedures we need to train check-in agents."

Top of my list is how to SDC a latitude flight pass.
I've never had an issue with that. If I'm changing to a legal FP routing, I've just called reservations to process it as a regular change. They can do it in 30 seconds.

When I want to do something that's illegal to book through the FP system but legal for a SDC (i.e. extend a connection past 4 hours), I've just emailed the concierge right at midnight and asked for it. Then even if they don't know how to do it, they can ask around or look it up, and I don't have to wait on the phone. Although I guess you have to be SE for that.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've never had an issue with that. If I'm changing to a legal FP routing, I've just called reservations to process it as a regular change. They can do it in 30 seconds.

When I want to do something that's illegal to book through the FP system but legal for a SDC (i.e. extend a connection past 4 hours), I've just emailed the concierge right at midnight and asked for it. Then even if they don't know how to do it, they can ask around or look it up, and I don't have to wait on the phone. Although I guess you have to be SE for that.
I agree the SE phone desk knows how. Airport agents are not consistently able to do it under the time pressure as I stand before them 5 minutes before the check-in deadline.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wolvie007
At least twice per year in YYC I get a priority check in agent unsure how to remove baggage charges for a SE travelling on an AE ticket. Given this issue has been around for years, you would think agents would know how to do this.
This!

I was going to say, nothing ever seems to be "easy". They're always eager to introduce these new streams of revenue (gift cards, charges for checked bags on more itineraries, etc.) without having a proper system in place. Want to use an AC gift card to pay for checked luggage fees? Too bad!

Want to use your gold status from another airline to avoid paying for a checked bag on an AE redemption? Too bad! You'll have to pay the fees and then contact AC following your trip for a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.