Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ- CPT question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan 50K
YYZ- CPT question

Flying YYZ to CPT through LHR. AC ticket but the second leg is operated by BA. Flying J. Does anyone have any suggestions as to:
-how to get a seat assignment on BA and subsequently a boarding pass and
- how to spend the 12 hour stopover-- is it worthwhile going into town?

Thank you.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Do you have the BA confirmation number? Easy to select seats on ba.com on fully flexible tickets under the 'Manage my booking' icon. Some more restrictive business class fares I believe don't allow complimentary seat selection until 48 hours prior to departure.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 27, 2015 at 7:59 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:38 am
Original Poster

I do not have a BA confirmation no.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
How to spend 12 hours in London? Tu n'est pas serieux. London has nothing to do and definitely not worth it.

http://wikitravel.org/en/London

Last edited by Bonaventure; Apr 25, 2015 at 5:18 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Take the tube or train into London for a few hours. We've intentionally planned these mini stopovers to do this Stretch your legs, walk outside if it's a nice day, hit the British Museum if it's raining.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:34 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Had you purchased this from a professional travel agent they would have given you the BA file and complimentary seat selection on BA. Would have saved you time and effort.

AC.com is the single worst place to purchase any AC ticket with an interline/codeshare for international flights
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Definitely go into the city - you'll have no problem filling the time with the usual London museums/parks/restaurants.
I flew this route in March with Mrs. TD, but all on BA, with an 8 or 9 hour layover. I was worried about spending two consecutive nights on a plane so I wanted to fit in a bit of activity between flights. We had breakfast in the BA arrivals lounge, stored our carry-on bags at T5 (Ł10 for the day), and then took the HEX to Paddington (Ł50 round-trip for 2.) We were lucky, it was a beautiful day, so from there we walked along Regent's canal to the Camden Locks and had lunch. Then we wandered around a bit and walked back through Regent's Park to Paddington and HEXed back to T5 with enough time to spare for dinner and drinks before our flight in the BA Concorde Room. I google-mapped it afterwords and we walked over 10 km that day.
You'll have a terminal change, which complicates storing your carry-on, but there's a storage facility at Paddington which would work.
Other things we considered were visiting Richmond/Kew Gardens (45 min on the tube), or a little town like St. Albans (probably would need a car service.)

Oh, and although we were booked on a paid BA business class ticket, without Oneworld status, we couldn't get advance seat assignments.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:05 am

Another option is to get a day room at the Sofitel in Terminal 5...
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Seats can be assigned if you phone in an pay.

I appreciate all the comments. I was able to get seat assignments on B.A. although not online. If you have the booking reference number (which A/C will give you) you need to call in and the agent will do it for you. The only catch is that you have to pay - which is annoying after paying full fare Business Class.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
You should've been able to call your elite line, get the record locator for the BA portion, go on their website and pick a seat. Not sure about BA's seat selection policy, but maybe that explains paying for it?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA silver
I did this combo in the summer. BA does seat assignment by status: gold and silver at booking, bronze t-7 days, and then anyone can pick a seat at check in. Yes it's annoying when you don't have status, but after that it's a nice perk since selection is usually very good even close to departure. If you're on the 747 to CPT I hope you got upper deck!

Yes go into London. You'll arrive at T2; after using the arrivals lounge for a shower and breakfast, if you have bags, transfer to T5 via the tube (buy a day pass for 8.5 pounds off peak). The T5 bag storage is literally above the tube station, turn left in the terminal (arrivals level) and there it is. 10 pounds for a bag for a day. That way when you come back you just go to T5 arrivals, get the bags and up to departures.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:51 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Sadly - that's accurate. Another ancillary fee for BA for seat selection. . . . . .even in business.

First Class gets free seat selection, regardless of reward or paid ticket.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:03 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Sadly - that's accurate. Another ancillary fee for BA for seat selection. . . . . .even in business.
Except if you deal with a professional TA who has complimentary seat access from BA, even with AC Interlines. The OP in this thread wasted so much time and effort to find his BA file, then call BA, then pay them more $

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.