Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mauricio23
Date: Saturday May 30 CONFIRMED
Time: 6:00 pm-ish
Sign-up list to attend is now closed but you can add yourself ot the Waitlist (below) which will get you in to the event but may not receive party favours.

PLEASE SEE LINKS TO T-SHIRTS (MEN & WOMEN) AND PUT THE SIZE YOU WANT NEXT TO YOUR NAME.
For eg. Male - Size XL

NOTES:
1. T-shirts are only for FT attendees, not +1s
2. If you do not select a size by Thursday night May 21, the default will be Large.
3. T-shirts are white

Men: http://mygildan.com/p/64000/
Women: http://mygildan.com/Categories/T-Shirts/Short-Sleeve//p/64000L

UPDATE
As co-hosts of the YVR Do - Special Edition, Sean Peever and 24left would now like to introduce you to the Lead Host of this event, Dorian Banks, who has been most generous, taking care of the venue, party favours, drinks, appetizers and sweets.

Your hosts: Dorian Banks, Sean Peever, 24left, Anonymous Host

Plus
- Customized party favours (you don't want to miss)
- Take home sweets
- Open Bar

Venue
http://wildtale.ca/

Take-home Sweets from
https://instagram.com/sweetbakeshop/

We hope you can join us!

CONFIRMED
Dorian - Male L
Sean Peever - Male L
24left - Male L
roastpuff+1 (Male XL)
chx (Male XL)
cairo604
canadiancow - Male L
i59bravo - M XL
BlueMilk (M XL)
Argonaut1000 - Male L
Nitehawk +1 - Male M
YVR guy - Male M
dafonz +1 - Male M
YVRgary +1 - Male L
Chowtime - Male L
philelite - Male S
Suncana +1
adam.smith +1 - Male 2XL
jaysona - Male L
YEG2MM - Male L
Lights_a_blur - Male 2XL
superangrypenguin - Male L (& thanks!)
keitherson +1 - Male M
Jeremy Humboldt - Male XL
CanuckOnFire - Male 2XL (please & thank-you)
cooleddie - Male 2XL
sulfur - Male M
ESC
DrunkCargo - Male M
FastSRT8 - Male L
hkfam - Male L

Waitlist
beepyou - Male M
YEG USER - Male XL
polarpacific - Male XL

MAYBE
Gabriel Pasternak

REGRETS
tomvancouver - have to work
ridefar
nomadic.relief
Geoflying
yyznomad (DAMNIT!)
drvannostren (way more disappointed now that I see there's open bar, without penguin there might be something to drink left too hah!)
Plumber
maradori
pewpew - scheduling conflicts
yerffej201
margarita girl
Mauricio23 - sick kid, sorry!

Fine Print:
EXCLUSIVELY for those who have been FT members for 3 or more months

Space is limited

Print Wikipost

YVR DO - Special Edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:53 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Can someone explain this open bar? Who exactly is paying for it?
That was my first question as well. My cynical side is always wary of "free" and "anonymous" together, as in "no free lunch." So what's the catch? The first things that popped into my mind were Amway and Scientology, but a frequent flyer bulletin board seems a little obtuse for either of those groups.

Nevertheless, I also have a nosey side, and as luck would have it it seems I know a guy who knows a guy... who knows a guy. Inquiries were made.

Given the Friday evening bustle and some language difficulties, I'm not really sure if it was organized BY, or organized FOR. In any case the guy's name is Gabriel Pastermak. Beyond that my contact would not give me any further information. (Though as I type this out it occurs to me that they might not actually have had any further information to give, so perhaps that's not really significant.)

I might try looking him up later but right now I have a movie to catch.

But as interesting as this "do" might appear, I'd be inclined to proceed with caution.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KenHamer
That was my first question as well. My cynical side is always wary of "free" and "anonymous" together, as in "no free lunch." So what's the catch? The first things that popped into my mind were Amway and Scientology, but a frequent flyer bulletin board seems a little obtuse for either of those groups.
But as interesting as this "do" might appear, I'd be inclined to proceed with caution.
I think the friendly funny troll (saying this with all due respect in a JOVIAL manner) was trolled - Mr. Peever posted upthread the when I inquired. I don't think there's an open bar, it was just to get people to come (I surmise) And before anyone starts to think that aliens are coming and that penguins can fly*, I've met both of these fine individuals. They are both upstanding people. I, however, am anything but!

However, there is a bridge I can sell you in Brooklyn though

PS strangers do in fact do nice things for others. The last YVR Do I lost count of the amount of kind gestures where people were concerned for my well being after I had too much cheesecake. People I've never met, (some people I still don't even remember...sorry) - I'd call them strangers at that point in time, made sure that I was OK given my lactose intolerance, when I had to leave the Do. Just saying. There are still some awesome people in the world, and if you weren't at the YVR Do that I hosted, let's just say I put myself out there!

* Actually did you know recently the BBC found a breed of penguins that can fly? True story! See the short documentary (only 1 minute 30 secs for this short ad version) Watch on the BBC for the full one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dfWzp7rYR4

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Apr 24, 2015 at 10:06 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
That was my first question as well. My cynical side is always wary of "free" and "anonymous" together, as in "no free lunch."
There was going to be an open bar, then it got 'enhanced' for 2015.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yvrgary
There was going to be an open bar, then it got 'enhanced' for 2015.
LOL. The wine, all over my screen now. HAHAHAHA Thanks for that.

The best part? The person who was going to pay for the open bar got a pension for $7xx,000/year
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC S100K
The first things that popped into my mind were Amway and Scientology...
In such case it would be legend.

Sign me up for the audit and I hope to meet you there Ken.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Aeroplan Diamond, NEXUS
Is there another one after this? I would be leaving SYD to YVR on that day.
I can't be fast enough to catch.. I would love to meet fellow FTers.

*regrets*
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
@SAP

An acquaintance of mine, whom I respect dearly, has asked for my assistance with this event, I assure you on my and their reputation that the open bar is no bait and switch, and is in fact a real benefit of the do that will not be enhanced .

I am also impressed with the level of effort Ken Hamer has put into trying to figure out everything about the do! I greatly respect the effort made.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K
Argh. I'm scheduled to be in Uganda that week. Plans do change, so I'm wait listing myself.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:04 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I think the friendly funny troll (saying this with all due respect in a JOVIAL manner) was trolled - Mr. Peever posted upthread the when I inquired. I don't think there's an open bar, it was just to get people to come (I surmise)
Well, it's not like it would be the first time. Though the Wiki still shows "Open Bar" (which in my understanding has always meant essentially free service, as opposed to "Cash Bar".)

And I'm still a little perplexed about what went down in the restaurant. (Unless of course they too were in on the troll. If so, then well done!)
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:19 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
@SAP

An acquaintance of mine, whom I respect dearly, has asked for my assistance with this event, I assure you on my and their reputation that the open bar is no bait and switch, and is in fact a real benefit of the do that will not be enhanced .
OK, so now I'm really confused again. Are you saying that there is still really a "free service" open bar? If that's the case, then we're back to who the hëll this Pasterak guy is, and more importantly exactly what is the catch? 'Cause the way this is playing out it seems inevitible.

Is SP's friend Pasterak, or is there still some anonymous intermediary?

I am also impressed with the level of effort Ken Hamer has put into trying to figure out everything about the do! I greatly respect the effort made.
Uhhh, well, it wasn't really that much effort. I just went for dinner.

As it turns out this new Wild Tales place used to be called Glowbal (notorious for it's blue lighting) and/or Global, that was an old hangout of mine. But it seems that while restaurants may come and restaurants may go, the wait staff remains fixed in place.

So I just asked one of the servers who remembered me. That led to a series of escalating "who wants to know" routines, and me needing to concoct a story about a friend of mine who may or may not have booked the 30th or 31st. Of course my story fell apart once they asked my friend's name, at which point I claimed that it was actually a group of friends and I wasn't sure who was in charge of making the arrangements.

It's no comment on the restaurant or its food (which was outstanding -- all the more reason to be suspicious) but rather on my ineptitude (and, well, embarrassment) that I was relieved to have settled up and quietly snuck out.

Last edited by KenHamer; Apr 25, 2015 at 2:36 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Ken, just let it go.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:58 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Ken, just let it go.
Are you kidding?

Clearly there's something going on here. It may or may not be nefarious.

But aren't you at all curious about just exactly what's going on here? I've been to a lot of DOs in my time, but I don't think I (or FT) have ever seen one quite like this.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I don't see how the movie Wild Tales has anything to do with the DO restaurant... other than extremely similar names.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am supposed to be in Vancouver that weekend but already have dinner plans with family and friends at Bluewater ,not that far away.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
@SAP

Oops sorry. The just confuses me I'm not a very smart penguin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.