Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Can children 'redeem' aeroplan miles for others?

Question: Can children 'redeem' aeroplan miles for others?

Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*G, BA, DL
Can children 'redeem' aeroplan miles for others?

Looking at aeroplan's T&C, it would seem even infants can have their own accounts and earn miles. But my question is, can they redeem miles for an adult? say their parent...?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Yes..
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SAllen
Looking at aeroplan's T&C, it would seem even infants can have their own accounts and earn miles. But my question is, can they redeem miles for an adult? say their parent...?
Why not? You can redeem miles for your kid too..
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:49 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The infant will only start to earn miles once they have their own ticket, which I think is when they're 2? That's how long my Aeroplan account has been active. Not sure what my parents did with all the miles I earned when I was a kid, I think they might have just accumulated in the account, but you can redeem for anyone you want from any Aeroplan account.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SAllen
Absolutely. My kids have been earning and redeeming miles with my guidance since they were 2.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*G, BA, DL
Thanks all. That's great. I thought an infant can't make decisions and thus cannot redeem miles. Does he/she even have a password!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:51 am

Bonus on kid's account, super long expiry, until they're 18 I think?

I transfer some AMEX MR to children account
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Bonus on kid's account, super long expiry, until they're 18 I think?

I transfer some AMEX MR to children account
Hmm. I thought the names had to match though?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Who says they don't?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:05 pm

Confirmed: AMEX -> anyone's Aeroplan #
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Confirmed: AMEX -> anyone's Aeroplan #
Thanks ^ For some reason I remember a "Confirmed" thing being listed and something about the names matching. Maybe that was SPG? Anyways, thanks ^
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:58 pm

Thanks ^ For some reason I remember a "Confirmed" thing being listed and something about the names matching. Maybe that was SPG? Anyways, thanks ^
AMEX -> SPG requires EXACT name match, I'm almost certain

AMEX -> Avios, I'm not quite sure. But BA's household account kind of provides a workaround
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I have been collecting Aeroplan miles since I was 3. I actually still have some miles in my account from many years ago.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:33 pm
Suspended

AMEX -> SPG requires EXACT name match, I'm almost certain

AMEX -> Avios, I'm not quite sure. But BA's household account kind of provides a workaround
My wife asked me this tonight and I have no idea. I was talking about this thread with her (yes, she's on the receiving end of all of your posts! (the FT community)

If MR to AE names don't have to match, what about the VISA Aerogold? Do the names have to match? Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:25 pm

My wife asked me this tonight and I have no idea. I was talking about this thread with her (yes, she's on the receiving end of all of your posts! (the FT community)

If MR to AE names don't have to match, what about the VISA Aerogold? Do the names have to match? Thanks!
Beats me on the TD/CIBC side, I think that one doesn't need match either, but since it's not instant like AMEX is, plus you provide it at application, it's a bit risky to not provide the accurate Aeroplan # in case of future investigation

Heck, it took 3 months/statements for TD to correctly input my Aeroplan # to credit my 25K miles... imagine if it's ANOTHER Aeroplan # of mine in the system somewhere...that will mess up things

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.