Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Five star airline: How 'bout that wine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I discovered this little nugget last weekend after flying YYZ-CPH-YYZ.

YYZ-CPH dinner service, everyone had a glass of wine. Then everyone went to sleep, and no more wine was consumed.

10ish hours later on CPH-YYZ, the drink cart comes around, and I ask if they have the Spanish Temp. The SD said not since April 1, but he had a couple red wines I could try. He brought out a bottle that was half finished. I was in row 1. No one else had been served a drink yet.

A conversation ensued, where I learned that they're being told to reseal the bottles and keep them for the next flight, to save money.

Are they serious?

The SD did not seem to like the practice either, and he opened a fresh bottle for me. The wine still sucked.

Note to self: I'm buying one of these for my travel bag: http://www.amazon.com/Vinara-V070613.../dp/B00DT76RM6

--------------------------------------------------

We then began discussing AC wines in general, where I mentioned the only two they've had in about 3 years that I've enjoyed where the Temp and the Picens. He said I was the first person who he'd ever had complain about AC's wine. He said most customers say something like, "This is pretty good for airline wine!"

He also mentioned one $45 wine they used to have. I told him the best wine I've ever had can be purchased for $15/bottle at Safeway. He was very surprised.

When the conversation ended, he said he liked "no BS" (full word, not "Ben Smith") customers like myself.

I liked this SD.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
When the conversation ended, he said he liked "no BS" (full word, not "Ben Smith") customers like myself.
Wait, but aren't you a cow?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: *$ Green

YYZ-CPH dinner service, everyone had a glass of wine. Then everyone went to sleep, and no more wine was consumed.

10ish hours later on CPH-YYZ, the drink cart comes around, and I ask if they have the Spanish Temp. The SD said not since April 1, but he had a couple red wines I could try. He brought out a bottle that was half finished. I was in row 1. No one else had been served a drink yet.

A conversation ensued, where I learned that they're being told to reseal the bottles and keep them for the next flight, to save money.

Are they serious?

The SD did not seem to like the practice either, and he opened a fresh bottle for me. The wine still sucked.

Note to self: I'm buying one of these for my travel bag: http://www.amazon.com/Vinara-V070613.../dp/B00DT76RM6

We then began discussing AC wines in general, where I mentioned the only two they've had in about 3 years that I've enjoyed where the Temp and the Picens. He said I was the first person who he'd ever had complain about AC's wine. He said most customers say something like, "This is pretty good for airline wine!"

He also mentioned one $45 wine they used to have. I told him the best wine I've ever had can be purchased for $15/bottle at Safeway. He was very surprised.

I liked this SD.
Was it same flight turn around?

At you wont need an aerator if the bottle has been opened that long
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Was it same flight turn around?
Yes, but the bottle had been opened 10 hours before. Not that 3 hours would have been acceptable either.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I've certainly made a few non-complimentary comments about AC's wine offering in the past, but this doesn't seem particularly news-worthy. Re-sealing a cheap bottle of wine shouldn't have much of an impact on the quality of the wine.

IMO AC's wines are somewhat better than those offered by its NA competitors (there are usually 1-2 drinkable options IMO), but nothing to get excited about.

FWIW, I think the current NZ Sauvignon Blanc is ok and the Malbec they previously offered was decent. But I can't remember a wine where I though "this is really good, I need to buy a bottle of that when I get home".
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: *$ Green
How many bottles do they go through?

If I'm on the plane with Sparseflyerette, I know she will polish one off by herself.

If I was the SD, I would open a new bottle for the first service, and then "recycle" the rest for the second serve etc.

Still a lot less worse than what goes on in restaurants...
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I'm thinking that glass of Chateau Air Canada might taste better if served in these....just sayin....

EDIT: Adjusting for size...I forgot they use smaller glasses

Last edited by 24left; Apr 16, 2015 at 8:51 pm
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

Are they serious?

I liked this SD.
I like the candor. The wine SUCKS at AC. I drink crap out of boxes. Yet AC wine to me is still despicable. 5* airline? Yeah right. Whatever.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

[...]

I liked this SD.
FYI, you could have suggested to that SD - Air Canada could serve the following drink instead:

Just make sure he doesn't ask you what's the price tag. Or if he did, make sure you hear a "yes, we will definitely have it on your next flight with us" before you tell him: "Don't worry, it's only a little more than $500 / bottle..." Then enjoy watching how the SD dies in front of you, slowly.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I like the candor. The wine SUCKS at AC. I drink crap out of boxes. Yet AC wine to me is still despicable. 5* airline? Yeah right. Whatever.
I know it's been a while since I last paid attention to anything AC does but does AC currently advertise itself as a 5* airline?

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 16, 2015 at 8:58 pm
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guava
I know it's been a while since I last paid attention to anything AC does but does AC currently advertise itself as a 5* airline?
No, but they want to be one.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
What's wrong with keeping half a bottle corked for a few hours?
IMHO it doesn't worsen the taste at all, in fact it might improve with aeration (especially if, as noted above, it needs a bit of 'help')

What would the FT reaction be to a thread "AC is wasting resources and destroying the environment by throwing away perfectly good wine/bottles when only partly open"?

Maybe a compromise would be to give them to SE's on deplaning
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Skytrax sold or awarded or whatever it is they do, 4 stars to AC.
I have complained multiple times about the wine, but I know AC doesn't care. A lot of wines on airlines are now coming with the screw off caps. Nothing bad about the practice either. Bad cork is a leading cause of the wine going bad. The man made cork doesn't provide a seal any better than the screw offs, but people want to see a cork.
In any case, haven't some of the wines served on AC been imported by the tank load or in a few cases reconstituted, and bottled in Canada? The SAQ does that with a lot of the lower end wines that retail for under $20 and it is one of the largest wine distributors in Canada. I know that is how those little bottles are done. Thankfully, the Port has not been desecrated in this manner, yet.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Apr 16, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
FWIW, I think the current NZ Sauvignon Blanc is ok and the Malbec they previously offered was decent. But I can't remember a wine where I though "this is really good, I need to buy a bottle of that when I get home".
Yeah, they stocked an excellent Peter Yealands SB last summer.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
imported by the tank load or in a few cases reconstituted, and bottled in Canada? The SAQ does that with a lot of the lower end wines that retail for under $20 and it is one of the largest wine distributors in Canada. I know that is how those little bottles are done. Thankfully, the Port has not been desecrated in this manner, yet.
It's not just the SAQ. http://www.grapegrowersofontario.com/node/68
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 50K, BA Blue, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, DVC, NEXUS
I'd like to point out that Air Canada does say they're a Skytrax 4-star airline, not a 5-star airline.

Still, if they want to get to 5-star, they have to pick better wines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.