Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC decreases Y seat pitch

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2002, 6:49 am
Original Poster

AC decreases Y seat pitch

I was looking through the new Media Centre on AC's web page and found a description of the classes of service they offer. Among other things, they give the seat pitch for all of their planes. Remember when we were wondering how they could replace one row of J with 2 rows of Y on their A320s and not decrease the seat pitch? Guess what. They decreased the pitch. The distance between Y seats on the A320s is now 31 to 32", depending on the seat; it used to be 32" throughout.

The Y seat pitch is also down to 31" for some seats on the 767-200; these planes now also have an extra row in Y. The A319s have 32" throughout Y, even with the extra row.

[This message has been edited by StuMcIlwain (edited 02-12-2002).]
Old Feb 12, 2002, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Let's hear it for LESS ROOM THROUGH COACH. Way to go AC, every little inch counts... No wonder RD made that remark about some US airlines now regretting their reconfiguration of coach to provide more leg room for those elites who don't get upgraded.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 7:58 am
Original Poster

I just thought of something else. AC can't move the exit window seats on the A320s because the doors have to remain accessible. The extra row is in front of the exit windows. That means that the really tight seats must be those in front of the exit rows at the front of the Y cabin; ie., the seats in the "premium seating" section.

I'm going to bring a tape measure with me on my next few AC flights and see how much of a difference there is. I should be on one the reconfigured 767-200's this weekend. However, given that I am avoiding AC when possible and reasonble, it could be a few months before I am on an A320.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This airline is hilarious, "Less Room Throughout Coach" or perhaps they've gone the UA model with "E - " premium section to punish those Elites who are kept out of empty J cabins, bring in Tango when the business model has failed everywhere its been tried (airline within airline). They seem to do everything opposite to common sense and industry trend. Where do they get these people to run this airline?
Old Feb 12, 2002, 8:25 am

On this topic, ACs website is pathetic on seat information (and many other things I know). Most US carriers have detailed seat charst indicating those seats that may have limited pitch etc. A small thing I know but just another example of ACs mandate that the less information customers have the better.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 9:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
I'll be sitting in the second row of Y this
friday YYC-YYZ on a 767-200. I'll measure it
if I can. From where to where on the 2 seats
exactly is the "pitch" dimension? All I know
is it affects legroom, but between which 2 points do you measure? Front of the seat cushion to the back of the seat in front?
Someone who knows this dimension please post it.

Hey, come to think of it, whatever happened to our "technical mole" AC Avionics Guy?
We haven't seen him for ages!
Old Feb 12, 2002, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Any fixed point on the seats will do. Say the anchor bolt on one to the same anchor bolt at the same point of the seat in front/behind.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:08 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta
Flew Y on the A321 YYZ-MIA over the Christmas holidays. The seat pitch was painful.

Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:11 am

Makes sense. I'll report my findings next week. I guess i should note tail # as well.
Do you think security would hassle me if I took a small retractable metal measuring tape, or should I use the cloth "tailor's"
tape? After all , I could poke someone in the
eye with the end of the metal one, or conceal
a weapon inside!
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:13 am
ALW

I read on rec.travel.air a while ago that these mainline aircraft with 1 row of J replaced by 2 rows of Y, actually have less legroom than Tango's all-Y. Forgot to follow up here at the time, but it sounds like they were right!

andrew
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Muskoka, check to see how J is configured on your plane, too. I think the reconfigured 767-200s were the older planes with domestic J, not the ERs with international J that they fly to Europe.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:38 am

Yes, according to PTO its a domestic 767-200
with 2-2-2 in J.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:58 am

As terenz noted earlier, any fixed point on the seat will do. Just make sure you use the same point on each seat.

If the seats you are in have ashtray cutouts in the arm rests, try using them. I find them very effective and easy to use for this purpose.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 11:00 am

So how long until AC starts cancelling mainline flights, and protecting people on Tango?

Would that be a step up?
Old Feb 12, 2002, 12:08 pm
Original Member

I agree with Flyaway 100%. The pitch in Y on the A321s is the pits. It truly is the worst I have ever experianced on a full-service airline. What was Rupert smoking when he said that it has one of the better pitches in the system?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.