Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Two op-ups this weekend - the new normal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

Whoever posted here about eUpgrade credit requirements increasing leading to more op-ups is a genius.

Was flying short-haul between Toronto and a NE US city this weekend (out Fri PM and back in Sun PM.) Y was oversold on both, pre-flight I was called up to podium and op-up-ed. Total eUpgrade credit spend = 0.

Good too because I didn't choose the 50 credits in Option 1 (took the 100% mile bonus and 20 eUps in Option 2.)

I think the theory that was kicked around here was that the new higher credit counts will lead to less people will be able/willing to use their credits... which means more people staying in Y, which means more Y cabins oversold = op-up SEs and Es.
Definitely happened for me this weekend!

l.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
I've been experiencing the same. Five op-ups in the past month, though all my flying has been on Rouge routes with heavy Y demand.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:32 am

Next announcement I expect: E90s going down to 6J, up to 92/96Y.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Thank you. I don't always consider myself a genius but I do have my moments.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Would reduce the FA workload at the start of many AC E90 flights.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lowdown
Whoever posted here about eUpgrade credit requirements increasing leading to more op-ups is a genius.

l.
You were looking for me?!

The co-hort prediction was that it would result in loss of revenue as less pax would be purchasing upgradeable fares in the hopes of playing the eUP lottery. That will take a bit more time to sort out.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I'd say with 3 opups in last 6 AC flights without any AC status, I like the new enhanced AC!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Me too. Op-up for three on DCA-YYZ and for one YYZ-YYC. w/b on the first and oversell on the second. Looking at my upcoming flights I wouldn't be surprised to be op-up'ed tomorrow for oversell and the way back for w/b.

Certainly this does seem abnormal considering I can count on one hand the number of times I've been op-up'ed in the previous years as SE.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Me too. Op-up for three on DCA-YYZ and for one YYZ-YYC. w/b on the first and oversell on the second. Looking at my upcoming flights I wouldn't be surprised to be op-up'ed tomorrow for oversell and the way back for w/b.

Certainly this does seem abnormal considering I can count on one hand the number of times I've been op-up'ed in the previous years as SE.
It's all part of the plan to make people buy J.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:09 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Its the inevitable end.

I don't want to pay for J, I'll use my eUps.

eUps prices went up, I'm not going to use them i'll buy Y and hope to get Oped-up.

Genius now, but when the routes get rouged, or AC continues to reduce the size of J cabins, I don't the cries we'll be hearing on this board will use the term 'Genius'.

I'm not sure if this should be filed under 'There is no such this as a free lunch' or 'The law of unintended consequences", or both.

But hearing people saying they enjoy this, I hope they're not surprised or disappointed about less J and more Rouge routes....
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Its the inevitable end.

I don't want to pay for J, I'll use my eUps.

eUps prices went up, I'm not going to use them i'll buy Y and hope to get Oped-up.

Genius now, but when the routes get rouged, or AC continues to reduce the size of J cabins, I don't the cries we'll be hearing on this board will use the term 'Genius'.

I'm not sure if this should be filed under 'There is no such this as a free lunch' or 'The law of unintended consequences", or both.

But hearing people saying they enjoy this, I hope they're not surprised or disappointed about less J and more Rouge routes....
C'est la vie, right? My first thought went to this too. We'll see if it continues. This is a busy travel period for leisure Y and my upgrades were on Saturday...
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
To me it's the unintended consequence of trying to (they say) operate a CX-style, expensive-and-worth it J product, when almost every other carrier in North America is doing a barely-more-expensive-and-decent J product.

I suspect you're right, they'll take any drop-off in domestic J sales as somehow demonstrating there's no demand for J, and use that to start Rouging more routes.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
Last night YVR-YEG with Y just oversold the op-ups went to three FA's in uniform.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Premiere Elite - YEG
Last night YVR-YEG with Y just oversold the op-ups went to three FA's in uniform.
Unreal. And they say that we are cheapening the cabin??

At least op up according to status!!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by yvrgary
they'll take any drop-off in domestic J sales as somehow demonstrating there's no demand for J.
Wouldnt a drop off in J sales demonstrate just that - a lack of demand?

Perfect excuse to reduce the size of the cabin, and cram in 18 Y seats in the space of 8 J seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.