Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Charge for seat assignments for economy domestic rewards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trying to change seat assignments for domestic Aeroplan rewards in economy.

There are seats assigned automatically. However they want $20+tax to change them.

Is that what it is nowadays?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
Trying to change seat assignments for domestic Aeroplan rewards in economy.

There are seats assigned automatically. However they want $20+tax to change them.

Is that what it is nowadays?

Since when??????

I assume there is a fee if you want a Preferred Seat, but since when is there a fee just to change a system-assigned seat. Oh I see, maybe a cash grab. They didn't get the $30 plus tax for a phone booking, so if you do it on their site, they take your money after the fact when you want to change a seat.

<sarcasm>

Also, I was told by Aeroplan that if you book a Classic Reward, you need to call Air Canada for the seat assignment.

Anyone know the real answer?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Huh? HUCA and let us know what happens. That's just plain old weird, and if it is true, where was the announcement?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
Since when??????

I assume there is a fee if you want a Preferred Seat, but since when is there a fee just to change a system-assigned seat. Oh I see, maybe a cash grab. They didn't get the $30 plus tax for a phone booking, so if you do it on their site, they take your money after the fact when you want to change a seat.

<sarcasm>

Also, I was told by Aeroplan that if you book a Classic Reward, you need to call Air Canada for the seat assignment.

Anyone know the real answer?
aircanada.com

Maybe I'll call them then.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:47 pm

I booked with a non-status AP account back in December. No charges. It appears in the system as a "Flex" fare, in which seat selection (but not preferred seats) are complimentary.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:49 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I've had a bunch of Aeroplan rewards booked recently and having the same problem. In J, I can change seats with no charge just fine through aircanada.com, but anything in Y wants to charge for any seat assignment.

It's a problem with the website though. Just phone in and they'll change them for free no problem (unless you want a preferred seat, in which case the usual fee applies).

Of course, the people on the phone have no idea why the website doesn't work properly.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by adam.smith
I've had a bunch of Aeroplan rewards booked recently and having the same problem. In J, I can change seats with no charge just fine through aircanada.com, but anything in Y wants to charge for any seat assignment.

It's a problem with the website though. Just phone in and they'll change them for free no problem (unless you want a preferred seat, in which case the usual fee applies).

Of course, the people on the phone have no idea why the website doesn't work properly.
Same here. And I always get assigned the worst seats when I book a reward ticket. I can't change seats online for free but never had a problem over the phone. Easy but inconvenient.

Last edited by DNAwizard; Mar 29, 2015 at 6:47 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
Same here. And I always get assigned the worst seats when I book a reward ticket. I can't change seats online for free but never had a problem over the phone. Easy but inconvenient.
You can with social media. I use Facebook for this..
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
You can with social media. I use Facebook for this..
Never tought of it ! Good to know that there is another option.
Thanks ^
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by adam.smith

Best. Line. Ever.

(well at least like right now ever)
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: Enough
I Tweeted Air Canada because this was happening to me as well. Their response: "Since March 12th, Aeroplan Classic Rewards in X booking code are the equivalent to Tango for fare attributes and fees (bags, seats, etc). ad". I have emailed Ben Lipsy for validation. If this is true, that's an annoying deval
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
There is an issue in that your AC Status does not follow into your AE bookings. As an SE, I just booked reward tickets for my wife and I to Vegas and I had to call in to select preferred seats at NC because the system wanted to charge me. Typical Capabilities of IT.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
I just went to the page where you can make seat assignment changes for flights booked by a third party (e.g. travel agent)

https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english

and was able to change my wife and me (both on the same PNR for an Aeroplan award ticket that had booked into Tango) to a preferred seat at no charge. So it clearly recognised my SE status OK. Perhaps this is the trick one needs to apply!!

This ticket had been booked on March 19th, after the aforementioned March 12th date

As an aside, what was also interesting was that it showed the complete fare breakdown that Aeroplan must have paid AC for that ticket as well.

Last edited by Geoflying; Mar 30, 2015 at 12:18 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by Geoflying
I just went to the page where you can make seat assignment changes for flights booked by a third party (e.g. travel agent)

https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english

and was able to change my wife and me (both on the same PNR for an Aeroplan award ticket that had booked into Tango) to a preferred seat at no charge. So it clearly recognised my SE status OK. Perhaps this is the trick one needs to apply!!

This ticket had been booked on March 19th, after the aforementioned March 12th date

As an aside, what was also interesting was that it showed the complete fare breakdown that Aeroplan must have paid AC for that ticket as well.
If I try that, I just get a blank page on seat selection
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by durberville
If I try that, I just get a blank page on seat selection
Bummer - so "YMMV" I guess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.