Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Not a good start to Premium Economy

Not a good start to Premium Economy

Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Stranger
Either they should accommodate you in the same class on another flight that is as convenient to you or better, or they should move you to J.
What about endorsing onto another carrier that has the same class of service? Eg, if going to LHR have the ticket valid on BA in W class?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
What about endorsing onto another carrier that has the same class of service? Eg, if going to LHR have the ticket valid on BA in W class?
I don't think there's any chance that AC would do this. They're only too happy to market PE as a separate cabin and then happily forget that they did so on a downgrade. We were downgraded on an aircraft change and the only notice we got was an itinerary change. It took a bit to figure out that they had changed aircaft and stuck is in the very back of the plane. I was able to cancel and rebook on another route.

Operational info, as found on EF and other sites, shows that AC's operational notes for aircraft with PE is to record them as having three cabins, so that's a point in favour of successful challenges.

We're booked in PE to ZRH later this summer and I'll definitely be challenging any downgrades. I do have printouts of the lowest Y fares for our routing, so that'll be useful if there's a question over fare difference.

It's nutty that AC has basically decided to ignore this issue rather than to come up with a proper protocol for dealing with aircraft swaps.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Of course. That fits squarely within "accommodate you in the same class on another flight."

This said, they might well prefer to move you to J than to do that.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gcashin
Either way, I don't think a 10% off coupon which could net a $127 savings on a future PE booking is reasonable compensation for a class of service downgrade.
Originally Posted by spd476
I would be ticked if I got downgraded and only received a 10% off coupon. That should be in addition to a refund on the PE fare.
Originally Posted by Stranger
No, no, no.

none of this is acceptable.

Either they should accommodate you in the same class on another flight that is as convenient to you or better, or they should move you to J.
I agree 100% with all of this. It's far too low. My point is that the initial compensation offered by AC for the downgrade is not worth $25 as some would have us believe.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
10% off code give you $24, dont lie to your friends.

Originally Posted by ffsim
Fine, I'll bite -- even though a PY -> Tango Y is hardly an apples-to-apples comparison.

So, having a look at late September, the Tango fare component is $636 which means the discount is worth $63. That was the cheapest fare I could find. If you look at PY, which is appears your friend is willing to buy, the cheapest fare is $1,271 which means the discount is worth $127.

So, again, why would you lie to your friend?
Why would you lie to your friends, the 10% off cert is only GOOD on the base FARE not taxes or fuel charge so 10% off would be. a grand total of $24 example below!. Seriously you didnt know that AC was scamming people with these 10% off certs or are you just trying to pull my cord?
Passenger Type Adult
Air Transportation Charges
Base Fare 242.00
Carrier surcharges 336.00
Taxes, Fees and Charges
Canada Airport Improvement Fee 25.00
U.K. Passenger Service Charge 85.20
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST #10009-2287 RT0001) 3.25
U.K. Air Passenger Duty 143.82
Air Travellers Security Charge (ATSC) 25.91
Total before options (per passenger) 861.18
Number of passengers 1
Grand Total - Canadian dollars
$861.18
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I agree 100% with all of this. It's far too low. My point is that the initial compensation offered by AC for the downgrade is not worth $25 as some would have us believe.
The codes are on BASE fare only, so yes, on a $800 ticket to Europe, it wont be more than $25 ex Canada.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by why fly
Why would you lie to your friends, the 10% off cert is only GOOD on the base FARE not taxes or fuel charge so 10% off would be. a grand total of $24 example below!. Seriously you didnt know that AC was scamming people with these 10% off certs or are you just trying to pull my cord?
Passenger Type Adult
Air Transportation Charges
Base Fare 242.00
Carrier surcharges 336.00
Taxes, Fees and Charges
Canada Airport Improvement Fee 25.00
U.K. Passenger Service Charge 85.20
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST #10009-2287 RT0001) 3.25
U.K. Air Passenger Duty 143.82
Air Travellers Security Charge (ATSC) 25.91
Total before options (per passenger) 861.18
Number of passengers 1
Grand Total - Canadian dollars
$861.18
But your friend doesn't buy Tango fares. Your friend, according to you, buys PY fares.

My last 15% code saved me $300.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
But your friend doesn't buy Tango fares. Your friend, according to you, buys PY fares.

I've asked twice about which route his friend was "just" downgauged on and nothing. Did it even happen...?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:21 pm
Suspended

actually a real friend would not buy AC flight and would not have this problem.
you have no idea how proud we are all for you to have saved $300. just think how much you wasted to get that.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I've asked twice about which route his friend was "just" downgauged on and nothing. Did it even happen...?
no it never happens because AC is wonderful and they would never downgauge. And to find your answer you better go read earlier posts.

so on your favorite airline is 10% suitable? seems like an insult to most Canadians.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM

ok let's try PY. $1688 on YYZLHR, out of thatthat $925 is fare, so a savings of $92.50 (5.5%)... Wow where do I sign up for this kind of extremely generous compensation???
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
no it never happens because AC is wonderful and they would never downgauge. And to find your answer you better go read earlier posts.

so on your favorite airline is 10% suitable? seems like an insult to most Canadians.
The only route I see mentioned is YYZLHR and that is currently 3x77W and 1x763 per day. Neither with PE.

So which was he downgauged on?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The codes are on BASE fare only, so yes, on a $800 ticket to Europe, it wont be more than $25 ex Canada.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok let's try PY. $1688 on YYZLHR, out of thatthat $925 is fare, so a savings of $92.50 (5.5%)... Wow where do I sign up for this kind of extremely generous compensation???
How's anyone supposed to take you seriously? "It won't be more than $25" followed by "so a savings of $92.50." Come on.

Yes, it sucks to be downgraded. Yes, 10% is low. Yes, it only applies to base fares, including the ones I posted back in post 282. But no, again, it's not worth $25.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:18 am
Suspended

How's anyone supposed to take you seriously? "It won't be more than $25" followed by "so a savings of $92.50." Come on.

Yes, it sucks to be downgraded. Yes, 10% is low. Yes, it only applies to base fares, including the ones I posted back in post 282. But no, again, it's not worth $25.
LOL, yes as stated $24 off on the flight to LHR. thats is actually less than the $25 i stated.
you might want to apologies to your friends.
Oh and keep telling people who are downgraded that a $25 cert at 10% is a good deal.
Sad for you to have to explain to friends how its a good deal, even worse when your example included a discount on Fuel Charge, that's got your friend's upset that you didn't tell the truth, and that Air Canada screwed them.

Last edited by why fly; Jul 31, 2015 at 10:23 am
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:31 pm

Speaking of truth, which route was your friend downgauged on? Because you keep dodging it and I can't be the only one curious as to why.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.