Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

U.S citizen flying on a 1-way ticket to YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:04 am
Original Poster

I'm a U.S citizen flying from LAS-YVR in a few days. I bought a 1-Way ticket. Would I have a issue boarding the plane in LAS since its a 1-Way ticket? I'm only staying in Vancover for a few days and flying out of SEA. If the airline forces me to buy a return ticket, what kind of ticket should I buy? I would need one that I could canceled and be able to get a full refund. Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No, you'll be fine. Just tell CBSA what you're doing. They MAY ask how long you'll be there. If so, tell them. And you'll be fine.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:09 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by dnLwire
I'm a U.S citizen flying from LAS-YVR in a few days. I bought a 1-Way ticket. Would I have a issue boarding the plane in LAS since its a 1-Way ticket? I'm only staying in Vancover for a few days and flying out of SEA. If the airline forces me to buy a return ticket, what kind of ticket should I buy? I would need one that I could canceled and be able to get a full refund. Thank you in advance.
Absolutely zero issues.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I am a Canadian citizen living in the US and I've never had any issues traveling between the US and Canada on 1 way tickets. The airline has never asked me about my return plans, and I did not have any problems with customs or immigration either (I think one or two times I was asked how long I planned on staying, but I was never asked specifics or to show proof of a return ticket). I don't think you will have any issues at all.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
It's perfectly understandable for a US citizen to want to come to Canada and never go back.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
When entering Canada they might ask for a copy of your return ticket from SEA , just keep it handy.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:00 am

A lot of people make your trip. When I was going to YVR on weekends often used JFK-YVR-SEA-JFK with zero scrutiny or problems
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the info. I printed out a copy of my flight out of SEA. For those of you that fly into YVR and then fly out of SEA. How do you get from YVR-SEA? Do you rent a car? At a shuttle? What the best and cheapest way to do it?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Thank you for all the info. I printed out a copy of my flight out of SEA. For those of you that fly into YVR and then fly out of SEA. How do you get from YVR-SEA? Do you rent a car? At a shuttle? What the best and cheapest way to do it?
Amtrak is an enjoyable, beautiful ride along the coast. A bit long though. Bolt bus is cheaper.

Last edited by montezume; Mar 29, 2015 at 11:03 am
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:08 pm

These guys are fine: http://www.quickcoach.com/
Best to allow an extra 1-2 hour buffer in case of any border delays.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:53 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Particularly if they have any US plated cars one-way rentals from YVR to SEA are easy and can be very cheap. Use something like Travelocity and shop around.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:57 am
Original Member

Here's a sample rental for April 1-2 from Alamo, from YVR to SEA:

My Rental Summary

Toyota Corolla or similar
1 Day(s) @48.71 $48.71
Premium Location Fee 17.75 Pct (17.75%) $8.81
Pvrt Bc 1.50/day $1.50
Vehicle License Fee .94/day $0.94
Provincial Sales Tax (7.0%) $4.09
Ca Goods/svces Tax B C (5.0%) $3.00
UNLIMITED KILOMETERS
Included
$67.05 CAD Estimated Total
Approx $ 52.97 USD

Pick-Up Location
Vancouver Intl Arpt Main
Richmond, BC V7B0A4 Canada

Return Location
Sea Tac Intl Arpt
Seatac, WA 98188 US
DatesEdit
Wed, Apr 01, 2015 12:00 PM
Thu, Apr 02, 2015 12:00 PM

And if you want a really pleasant scenic drive,
- head for Blaine
- go east on 0 Ave to either Aldergrove/Lynden or Huntington/Sumas
- go south on SR9/Valley Hwy
- stop at "Everybody's Store" at Deming/Van Zandt for utterly brilliant home made sandwiches with imported breads, meats and cheeses, along with a selection of other goodies that will blow your mind
- cross over to I-5 at Park Rd (or Prairie if you want to back track a bit)
- enjoy views of Whatcom Lake
- check out historic Fairhaven in South Bellingham
- go south on SR11 (Chuckanut Drive - widely regarded as one of the best scenic drives in the US)
(alternatively just keep going south on SR9)
- if you have the time go east on US2 to Monroe
- then south on SR203 through Duvall, Carnation, Snoqualmie, and/or Issaquah
- follow the signs to Renton, Tukwilla, Burien and/or SeaTac.

Cheapest gas will be in Mt Vernon, probably at Fred Meyer's, or close by.

Last edited by KenHamer; Mar 30, 2015 at 2:13 am
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone on the helpful info. Landed in Vancouver about hour ago. Didn't ask me anything about my outbound ticket at the aiport before I left and when I landed here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.