Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC flight 624 from Yyz crash landed at YHZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Spot planes
Weather related?
The metar reports for the weather before, during and after are showing as below the minimums for the approach they shot. Note that I am not saying they shot an approach below minimums because vis very well could have intermittently come back up, but it's fair to assume the hold was related to this.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)

Does anyone have a registration number for the equipment involved? Looks like gear collapsed for sure.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Does anyone have a registration number for the equipment involved? Looks like gear collapsed for sure.
C-FTJP, fin 214. Built July 1991
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:07 am

From an alleged victim, under the username of "Bob Cole" on the comments section of CBC:

"This is a completely erroneous attempt by Air Canada and The Halifax Airport Authority to put a spin on a plane crash (I know....I was in the thing) and minimize litigation for both parties as not only did Air Canada attempt a landing they never should have, but the Airport Authority was not ready to respond to the crash as we had to "huddle" in a crowd to keep warm 1.5 kilometers from the airport for almost an hour. Apparently they had to bring in buses from Halifax in a snowstorm rather than having transportation on hand and ready to respond to such an incident (which I think would be the law?...or at least the law of common sense). We came in low, clipped a power pole or power line as sparks flew all over the left wing, and then crashed hard into the runway and skidded for an unknown distance. We then evacuated the plane via the emergency chutes and helped all the injured people to cover (Oh did I forget to mention that we had to walk past the dislodged engine and airplane fuel to get to safety?). Eventually after 5 or so minutes a fire truck showed up and we got the most injured into the fire truck and out of the weather and the rest of us huddled together for warmth. After another 45 minutes of standing in the snow and cold (some people with no shoes and in t-shirts only) the bus from Halifax finally arrived up and brought us to the terminal (where there was no power because we took out the power pole upon descent). After that we were basically huddled like cattle into a room to wait for the police to make sure we had all been identified and Air Canada did not even offer to take care of our acommodations for the night or transportation. "

I know the lawyers will probably be in touch with the passengers ASAP to try and get releases for a mere few thousand in 'compensation', but the victims would have had no access to their carry-on or checked baggage and, if the post is true, such is quite unfortunate.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So... question...

If they clipped power lines BEFORE touching down, then they would have landed SHORT. Power lines are what? 30 feet up? There is no possible way you could clip power lines and then land long, unless the power lines were at the other end of the runway. I don't see how you could hit the power lines, hit the runway, and then slide off the other end. And I say this as someone who was trained to *ignore* power lines in emergency landings.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:21 am

That's what I'm trying to figure out, too. And the powerlines are like 1,000 feet from the threshold. At this point I don't think they landed long. Hit the lines, made it to the runway, and then went off to the left would be my guess.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
So... question...

If they clipped power lines BEFORE touching down, then they would have landed SHORT. Power lines are what? 30 feet up? There is no possible way you could clip power lines and then land long, unless the power lines were at the other end of the runway. I don't see how you could hit the power lines, hit the runway, and then slide off the other end. And I say this as someone who was trained to *ignore* power lines in emergency landings.
Yeah makes you wonder if they even had a stabilized approach. If they didn't, well, there's probably at least a captain who's going to have to find a new career. Pretty sure the AC manuals specify that the Captain must fly approaches that are down to minimums. No claims yet that this was a botched go-around or anything like that.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Isn't it more likely they clipped an approach lighting pole than a power line?
Close shave for sure and not impressive that crash - because this surely was a crash not an incident - survivors have to stand on a runway in a snowstorm for an hour before being taken somewhere for triage!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
Isn't it more likely they clipped an approach lighting pole than a power line?
They took out power at the airport. It's a pretty sure thing at this point that they hit power lines.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by YEGATC
They took out power at the airport. It's a pretty sure thing at this point that they hit power lines.
CBC report indicates power was out at the time of the crash, not necessarily because of it?
http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/nov...tory/1.3013979
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by pitz
From an alleged victim, under the username of "Bob Cole" on the comments section of CBC:

"This is a completely erroneous attempt by Air Canada and The Halifax Airport Authority to put a spin on a plane crash (I know....I was in the thing)
If this is an accurate version of events, then I think it will prove to be an even bigger deal than a nonfatal incident might suggest. Besides the flight safety questions, the alleged borderline-negligent responses from AC and from YHZ are really troubling. Their successful initial media spinning to downplay the nature of the incident will no doubt be ammo for the lawyers.

I'm thrilled everyone survived and I hope future lives are saved (and that transparency prevails) from the outcome of a full investigation.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by pitz

"This is a completely erroneous attempt by Air Canada and The Halifax Airport Authority to put a spin on a plane crash (I know....I was in the thing) and minimize litigation for both parties as not only did Air Canada attempt a landing they never should have, but the Airport Authority was not ready to respond to the crash as we had to "huddle" in a crowd to keep warm 1.5 kilometers from the airport for almost an hour. Apparently they had to bring in buses from Halifax in a snowstorm rather than having transportation on hand and ready to respond to such an incident (which I think would be the law?...or at least the law of common sense). We came in low, clipped a power pole or power line as sparks flew all over the left wing, and then crashed hard into the runway and skidded for an unknown distance. We then evacuated the plane via the emergency chutes and helped all the injured people to cover (Oh did I forget to mention that we had to walk past the dislodged engine and airplane fuel to get to safety?). Eventually after 5 or so minutes a fire truck showed up and we got the most injured into the fire truck and out of the weather and the rest of us huddled together for warmth. After another 45 minutes of standing in the snow and cold (some people with no shoes and in t-shirts only) the bus from Halifax finally arrived up and brought us to the terminal (where there was no power because we took out the power pole upon descent). After that we were basically huddled like cattle into a room to wait for the police to make sure we had all been identified and Air Canada did not even offer to take care of our acommodations for the night or transportation. "

I know the lawyers will probably be in touch with the passengers ASAP to try and get releases for a mere few thousand in 'compensation', but the victims would have had no access to their carry-on or checked baggage and, if the post is true, such is quite unfortunate.
Knowing what most of us know about the CBC comment system, I would take this with a huge grain of salt until something more concrete comes out.

Not saying that isn't factual, I am just surprised the post didn't blame the right wing conspiracy at the same time
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:19 am
Suspended

Based on the lies I got from AC customer service regarding "reasons" for a five hour delay out of YYZ just a couple of months ago, it's not surprising for AC social media and customer service to spin what they can out of this or any incident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.