Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access Tax Back

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Lounge Access Tax Back

Is it possible for a non Canadian resident to get the GST/Tax back on the Air Canada Maple Leaf Club membership?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I think not. It is charged on goods and services consumed in Canada, does not matter
if the consumer is a resident or not. Same way that all have to pay GST on hotel
rooms or restaurant meals, non-residents do not get refunds.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I know some non-resident business colleagues who have applied for and received rebates. I suspect it is not the easiest thing, but it is available and likely dependent on the list below.

This is the link to the Canada Revenue Agency page with list of GST/HST rebates. (I know the old non-resident form for short-term trips is no longer available.)

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp.../menu-eng.html

Also, it might be worth asking the question directly to the Maple Leaf Club
Here is their contact info. I am sure they have non-residents who are members and who may not use clubs in Canada but rather the U.S., international, *A, contract lounges.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...lccontact.html
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
I know some non-resident business colleagues who have applied for and received rebates. I suspect it is not the easiest thing, but it is available and likely dependent on the list below.

This is the link to the Canada Revenue Agency page with list of GST/HST rebates. (I know the old non-resident form for short-term trips is no longer available.)

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp.../menu-eng.html
I scanned the same CRA exemptions list but didn't find any that seemed to fit OP's situation. No harm in applying I suppose but unsure exactly which program would be cited as the reason for rebate.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052
I scanned the same CRA exemptions list but didn't find any that seemed to fit OP's situation. No harm in applying I suppose but unsure exactly which program would be cited as the reason for rebate.

Understood. I also scanned the list but figured it might be useful to others to post it.

I think it is worth a call to the Maple Leaf Club directly. I have spoken to them a couple of times (as I have a paid membership). Like UA's paid membership, I am sure MLC has members who are not residents. At least MLC can directly address the GST/HST tax question. I have non-Canadian clients for whom I cannot/do not bill these taxes. The CRA has a nice list of rules on that too.

Last edited by 24left; Mar 28, 2015 at 9:16 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Understood. I also scanned the list but figured it might be useful to others to post it.

I think it is worth a call to the Maple Leaf Club directly. I have spoken to them a couple of times (as I have a paid membership). Like UA's paid membership, I am sure MLC has members who are not residents. At least MLC can directly address the GST/HST tax question. I have non-Canadian clients for whom I cannot/do not bill these taxes. The CRA has a nice list of rules on that too.
Why can't you charge US or non-Canadian clients GST. I do and if your clients are a business, they can claim there GST payment as a input tax credit if they want to. Most don't because the dollars are to small.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

How much tax would i get back if I were to get anything back?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by henrus
The lounge membership rates quoted online show tax included and the GST is 5% so roughly CAD$18 - $33.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by henrus
GST in Canada is 5%

I think you should contact the Maple Leaf Club directly before you are billed rather than expect to get the 5% back from the Feds.

If they have to bill you even as a non-Canadian (resident), would you not be able to use the total amount as a business expense?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:18 pm

I think you should contact the Maple Leaf Club directly before you are billed rather than expect to get the 5% back from the Feds.
Never hurts to ask but can't see AC waiving this amount simply because OP says he resides overseas.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Never hurts to ask but can't see AC waiving this amount simply because OP says he resides overseas.

Agree. But it's also an issue if someone who is not a resident here pays for a membership which they will use for non-Canadian locations. Then the service is not provided in Canada and GST should not apply.

I don't make the rules or the tax code (LOL), but the CRA has info for billing clients outside of Canada and in other provinces.

Thus why I recommended OP contact MLC directly.

(I just took a look at the United Club paid membership. No tax. Duh)
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:41 pm

Agree. But it's also an issue if someone who is not a resident here pays for a membership which they will use for non-Canadian locations. Then the service is not provided in Canada and GST should not apply.
I thought of that but as the Worldwide membership allows entry to domestic and U.S. MLL's the GST should still apply. If this membership applied only to non Canadians & U.S. lounges then I think the case for there being no GST is much stronger but that isn't way the pass is built.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:12 pm
Suspended

....If this membership applied only to non Canadians & U.S. lounges then I think the case for there being no GST is much stronger but that isn't way the pass is built.
Agreed.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
GST in Canada is 5%

If they have to bill you even as a non-Canadian (resident), would you not be able to use the total amount as a business expense?
If the service is in Canada, you can not wave the GST. If it is processed in Ontario, HST may be charged.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
If the service is in Canada, you can not wave the GST. If it is processed in Ontario, HST may be charged.
Not true for all ;
GST/HST rebate for foreign representatives and diplomatic missions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.