Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Status not counting when flying Aeroplan reward?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status not counting when flying Aeroplan reward?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Allvest,

Just a friendly note from a frequent reader on here. There is something that has clearly upset you in the past with AC, maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong - I don't know, and frankly it doesn't matter to what I'm going to say.

90% of your posts (I wanted to say every, but I didn't read them all) are in some way shape or form going after AC and / or it's employee's for one thing or another.

As both a reader and someone who has handled client complaints before for other companies, I just want to honestly tell you that this probably has the opposite impact of what you're trying to achieve. When readers or company reps see the same person complaining over and over about different things it looses it's impact, and in many cases it can turn the readers and company reps against you, not because of the claim or statement you are making but because they just get tired of reading it.

If you truly want to be impactful and resolve a situation I suggest to approach it in these key ways:

1) Keep emotions out of it, and stick to the simple facts with no opinions
2) Keep most of it out of a public forum, general mentions are acceptable but long rants and details should not be on a forum (unless you don't want to address it with the company, then it doesn't matter)
3) Avoid long paragraphs and go to point form
4) Be polite
5) Provide a reasonable solution for the wrongdoing - if you were truly wronged and you ask for a reasonable solution companies often oblige.
6) Don't take your frustrations out on any single individual, they are just trying to do their jobs.

If you make it simple and stick to these basic ideas you will find companies can be very accommodating with mistakes & wrongdoings and often they will take steps to help smooth things over.
Yes I am extremely polite to AC staff. At all times.

As Ben L Instructed all of us on FT just yesterday, if you don't enjoy reading what someone writes, you may press the ignore button or go elsewhere.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Allvest
Yes I am extremely polite to AC staff. At all times.

As Ben L Instructed all of us on FT just yesterday, if you don't enjoy reading what someone writes, you may press the ignore button or go elsewhere.
Mr. Peever brings up some good points, and you as well. We're all one FT family. We may have our differences, but please, let's all get along without being childish by hitting the ignore button. It's there for a reason, but I know I, as a FTer, want to try to get along with as many people as possible. Sometimes personalities clash and it doesn't work out, but let's please all try and be friendly. I know we resolved our differences a few months ago, and I really do sincerely appreciate that. FWIW, anyways.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Mr. Peever brings up some good points, and you as well. We're all one FT family. We may have our differences, but please, let's all get along without being childish by hitting the ignore button. It's there for a reason, but I know I, as a FTer, want to try to get along with as many people as possible. Sometimes personalities clash and it doesn't work out, but let's please all try and be friendly. I know we resolved our differences a few months ago, and I really do sincerely appreciate that. FWIW, anyways.
Now you are insulting Ben L's professional and official suggestion to hit the ignore button. :-)

Anyway, lately I have noticed disappointment and anger retreating to resignations and sarcasm from those of us who actually CARE to even bother posting our opinions and experiences about AC.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Now you are insulting Ben L's professional and official suggestion to hit the ignore button. :-)

Anyway, lately I have noticed disappointment and anger retreating to resignations and sarcasm from those of us who actually CARE to even bother posting our opinions and experiences about AC.
Anyway, my last post on this. It is my belief that we should all try to get along. This place means a lot to me. I try and be helpful, and try and make people laugh. Ben's answer may be to hit the ignore button, but it's very very rare for me to do so. I just hope we can all get along, that's all.

I, for one, care about providing opinions and experiences about AC, but when AC pisses me off, I try and still be respectful. Ben's just an employee, he's not an executive, but he's trying to help. I, for one, appreciate it wholeheartedly.

Anyways, all I'm saying (and again my last post on this) is that everyone here cares at some level about FT and AC. Like a family, we will fight, but all I'm asking is that we all remember, we're all in this together I rarely hit the ignore button, although I have, but it's because all efforts to reach some sort of friendly relationship have failed. It's an internet board, I get it, but many of us spend a lot of time on here (like you, me and others) and it's my belief that we all try to get along. FWIW.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Allvest,

Just a friendly note from a frequent reader on here. There is something that has clearly upset you in the past with AC, maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong - I don't know, and frankly it doesn't matter to what I'm going to say.

90% of your posts (I wanted to say every, but I didn't read them all) are in some way shape or form going after AC and / or it's employee's for one thing or another.

As both a reader and someone who has handled client complaints before for other companies, I just want to honestly tell you that this probably has the opposite impact of what you're trying to achieve. When readers or company reps see the same person complaining over and over about different things it looses it's impact, and in many cases it can turn the readers and company reps against you, not because of the claim or statement you are making but because they just get tired of reading it.

If you truly want to be impactful and resolve a situation I suggest to approach it in these key ways:

1) Keep emotions out of it, and stick to the simple facts with no opinions
2) Keep most of it out of a public forum, general mentions are acceptable but long rants and details should not be on a forum (unless you don't want to address it with the company, then it doesn't matter)
3) Avoid long paragraphs and go to point form
4) Be polite
5) Provide a reasonable solution for the wrongdoing - if you were truly wronged and you ask for a reasonable solution companies often oblige.
6) Don't take your frustrations out on any single individual, they are just trying to do their jobs.

If you make it simple and stick to these basic ideas you will find companies can be very accommodating with mistakes & wrongdoings and often they will take steps to help smooth things over.
Well said - good suggestions. Keeping some of the emotions, bitterness, and cynical attitude out of the posts would help significantly in improving the tone in the forum. I cringe at a lot of the accusations that are directed towards some of the well-meaning and hard working AC reps on here.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gcashin
Well said - good suggestions. Keeping some of the emotions, bitterness, and cynical attitude out of the posts would help significantly in improving the tone in the forum. I cringe at a lot of the accusations that are directed towards some of the well-meaning and hard working AC reps on here.
The main point here is that the OP is pointing to an age old issue for which no solution is being provided other than "try to convince the checkin agent that you are right and the system is wrong".

Good luck to you all. ...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: AC SE
The main point here is that the OP is pointing to an age old issue for which no solution is being provided other than "try to convince the checkin agent that you are right and the system is wrong".

Good luck to you all. ...
I've been one of the most vocal ones that this has been a systemic problem, and relying on an agent to override the system is not a sustainable solution. While it doesn't immediately fix the issue, it's helpful that Ben has provided a detailed explanation on the problem, as well as an update that a fix is in the works.

The type of rhetoric above is not productive in engaging in a meaningful conversation with the AC reps and is the type of comments that drives company reps away from the forum.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
It's because when you redeem your FFP is stored in the FQTR field, not the FQTV field. The problem is twofold: FQTR is populated by the account whence the miles came (i.e. redeemer's, not necessarily traveller's, account), whereas the system is set to recognise status from the FQTV field. On award tickets, we don't populate the FQTV field because there are instances where the FFP is picked up irrespective of fare class (e.g. IRROPS rebooking), along with some other backend issues.

We instruct our agents to verify eligibility for status benefits when on reward tickets precisely because the system doesn't pick it up automatically. As long as you have your status card you shouldn't have any issues; the larger issue I'm hearing is that some are saying their status benefits are being denied when on award tickets, and this is something I will impress upon our Airports teams to rectify.

UPDATE: I'm told we have plans in place to fix this process. Can't share any timelines yet, I'm afraid.
Why would it be such a big deal to simply and immediately remind all frontline staff of the existing and very well known *A policy regarding something as simple as free checked bags for status pax??
No 'timeline'??! Seriously. 'Plans in place to fix this process'?! When I've had this from the rude check-in staff at YYZ I simply refuse to move until they call a supervisor. Just another reason to avoid AC metal whenever possible - you won't have to suffer the ground staff.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by gcashin
I've been one of the most vocal ones that this has been a systemic problem, and relying on an agent to override the system is not a sustainable solution. While it doesn't immediately fix the issue, it's helpful that Ben has provided a detailed explanation on the problem, as well as an update that a fix is in the works.

The type of rhetoric above is not productive in engaging in a meaningful conversation with the AC reps and is the type of comments that drives company reps away from the forum.
As a long-time reader of AC related posts on this forum, I suspect that fine people like Ben are being stuck out here to defend the systemic stupidity that seems to be the AC m.o. As the faces tasked with defending the AC screwup's like this baggage issue, it will often look like they are being personally attacked when people are venting at the inane management of the parent company...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
What is this, 1994? Hire some more coders.

We shouldn't have any issues even if we don't have a piece of plastic, either we have status or we don't.

Cheers
+1000 (bolding is mine).
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:48 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by sam33
Why would it be such a big deal to simply and immediately remind all frontline staff of the existing and very well known *A policy regarding something as simple as free checked bags for status pax??
No 'timeline'??! Seriously. 'Plans in place to fix this process'?! When I've had this from the rude check-in staff at YYZ I simply refuse to move until they call a supervisor. Just another reason to avoid AC metal whenever possible - you won't have to suffer the ground staff.
Actually I don't believe I said either of those things. A reminder is going out this week, pointing to an internal database article outlining just this.

What I said was that we working on a process to fix this so that it is automatically picked up, and the timelines we have are not public information. Again, this stems from the way PNRs are appended (with FQTR rather than FQTV status); we cannot always instantly verify that the pax travelling is the member who redeemed the award (unlike revenue PNRs the number doesn't necessarily match the name). I know some will jump on me for saying this, but if you want to avoid hassle I'm simply suggesting you have your status card with you. For now anyway, them's the rules.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AC SEMM
I was experiencing a "status not counting" situation when trying to book seats on an AP Market Fare award with my wife and me on the same PNR. Going through the regular AC website and entering the Locator brought up the itinerary OK but then it tried to charge me to book preferred seats. As SE that should not have happened.

I then tried the interface that you use when the itinerary is booked elsewhere than on ac.com - i.e. https://services.aircanada.com/Servi...method=english - and this time it recognised that these seat assignments should be at no cost.

I hope this helps some of you.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE MM, AA
Prefered seating, when travelling with SE.

I'm getting different answers. When travelling on AE award ticket with my wife , on the same itinerary in Y, on my points (I am SE MM), does she gets to select Preferred Seating. One answer I get that my statues does not extend to her and she must pay, other that she gets to select Preferred seating at N/C.
Which is it?
Thanks
Candot
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by candot
I'm getting different answers. When travelling on AE award ticket with my wife , on the same itinerary in Y, on my points (I am SE MM), does she gets to select Preferred Seating. One answer I get that my statues does not extend to her and she must pay, other that she gets to select Preferred seating at N/C.
Which is it?
Thanks
Candot
You have to be on the same PNR

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...rredseats.html

Is there a charge for selecting a Preferred seat?

Preferred seat selection is complimentary if you’re travelling on a Latitude fare, as well as for you and your travel companion(s) on the same booking if you are:

an Altitude Super Elite 100K member travelling on a Flex or Tango fare, or an Aeroplan Flight Reward;
an Altitude Elite 75K member travelling on a Flex fare;
an Altitude Elite 50K member travelling on a Flex fare in Canada or between Canada and the U.S.

Last edited by Geoflying; Mar 19, 2015 at 1:07 pm Reason: highlight "on the same booking"
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, UA Silver, DL SIlver, Marriott TE/LTPE, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by candot
Which is it?
Thanks
Candot
This same issue is happening to me on an upcoming SFO-YVR trip. I'm in paid Y, the husband is on an award ticket from my SE account. I can't move his seat out of the one the AE system assigned him without paying $15, even though the ticket was "purchased" with my SE miles.

I just completed OLCI, and was able to move him next to me easily for no charge. And seats that weren't available before under "Manage My Bookings" were unblocked after OLCI opened.

Go figure......

I've never had an issue putting people in preferred seats when "buying" them tickets on my miles - either my husband, my brothers, my friends or my in-laws. I was always able to do it online, and once I called in to the AE desk and it was done within 30 seconds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.