Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Do you write in about great AC SD/FA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you write in about great AC SD/FA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jaysona
2. RapidAir on a 777, young in-charge took time to introduce himself to every passenger in the J cabin, welcome them onboard, take meal order and ask how their travel was so far. Now, I'm not one for any sort of chit-chat and could not care any less than I currently do about being greeted by the in-charge or anyone else for that matter, I just don't care for that. What impressed me was the manner and demeanor exhibited by the individual and the fact that the plane and galley preparation duties were done in such a way that he had the time to meet everyone in the full J cabin during the brief time allotted for boarding. Rapidair flights typically have a shorter boarding time than other flights.
I've had a young in-charge do the same thing on a TATL flight a couple of years ago. Was the only time I've ever seen it happen. Like you, I prefer to keep to myself, but I was impressed that he took the time to speak with everyone and offer to look after them personally.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Binflyin
As for doing everything you can do as a pax to thank the crews, grab some 5$ Timm's or Starbucks gift cards and carry them with you. The next time you have a good crew, hand them out with your thanks and you will see, first how shocked and then how grateful they are that you took the time to acknowledge their efforts. Believe me, it goes way beyond writing a letter that they may never get to see.

Been doing that for a while, but with higher value SBUX cards (given the 8-11 hour flights). More than one has said "no, I can't accept that. I'm just doing my job".
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
I've had a young in-charge do the same thing on a TATL flight a couple of years ago. Was the only time I've ever seen it happen. Like you, I prefer to keep to myself, but I was impressed that he took the time to speak with everyone and offer to look after them personally.
This happened on my flight yesterday I've definitely had this level of service in J a few times!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:25 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I read this last night and was keeping it in mind this morning on AC 111.

You know what... I don't want the over polished, caste-system-like (read almost servant-esque) Asian carrier service.

SD was great. Had 35+ years service. Was attentive, friendly, professional. Knowledgable. Did the job as well as I could want. I don't need someone calling me sir, or attending to me as if I was royalty. I've mentioned a few times that NZ was a good benchmark, and for a domestic flight this was more than adequate.

I'll look forward to it and (try to) enjoy it when flying Asian carriers, but I don't want it for AC. It does not reflect what I want from a Canadian carrier.

As for feedback, I shook the SD's hand before disembarking, Thanked them and hoped there were more like them in the ranks.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Well Ben Smith replied via email just now. CC'd Stephen Knowles. He made a promise to me that the crew would be recognized. As a customer, that means something to me. As a fellow human being, I'm happy that they are being recognized. End of story I guess
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Well Ben Smith replied via email just now. CC'd Stephen Knowles. He made a promise to me that the crew would be recognized. As a customer, that means something to me. As a fellow human being, I'm happy that they are being recognized. End of story I guess
And we wonder why AC execs can't run the airline. They're too busy responding to emails like that
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
That's certainly nice of them. I guess this really does work. Silly me!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:05 pm
Suspended

IMHO....

Thinking about Penguin's email to the execs and the various responses as well as the different crew recognition choices made by others here, I would say that if Penguin feels writing the execs is the best approach for him, then he is certainly entitled to do so and it's great that he received a reply and hopefully the crew he was complimenting do receive the comments.

Some of us write in, some of us buy gift cards, some even buy chocolates. The point is that we each have our own way of wanting to communicate both our positive and negative experiences.

Perhaps we can be a little more welcoming of methods used by other members.

(and no, I am not presuming to be moderator)

Have a nice day.

Last edited by 24left; Mar 4, 2015 at 6:53 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
Some of us write in, some of us buy gift cards, some even buy chocolates.
You forgot to mention timbits.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
You forgot to mention timbits.

I did. How was that even possible
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
IMHO....

Thinking about Penguin's email to the execs and the various responses as well as the different crew recognition choices made by others here, I would say that if Penguin feels writing the execs is the best approach for him, then he is certainly entitled to do so and it's great that he received a reply and hopefully the crew he was complimenting do receive the comments.

Some of us write in, some of us buy gift cards, some even buy chocolates. The point is that we each have out own way of wanting to communicate both our positive and negative experiences.

Perhaps we can be a little more welcoming of methods used by other members.

(and no, I am not presuming to be moderator)

Have a nice day.
Thanks. And just my some closing thoughts. Yes, maybe the execs don't care (although seriously...they should.) and maybe nothing happens, but I've seen first hand how many SD's/FA's are super thankful that someone is thanking them and are writing into the executives.

I wrote in once, this is for a fellow FTer/SD who I just met on my 788 flight back from Halifax (went to and back). She was SO appreciative, and we went back and forth on email (I BCCd her in my thank you). I bet you nothing happened from the executives but SHE was SUPER thankful. I felt so great for making her day. Her service went a long way - making it the best AC flight of my life.

Giving thanks is something we should all do, when its due. How we go about it will be different - but at the end of the day, when someone goes above and beyond their job, they should be recognized. I dunno, maybe it's because i'm in a customer facing role and nothing makes my day than a nice firm handshake, and a sincere thank you. If someone wrote to my CEO thanking me for my service, well, i'd be FLOORED. And that's what i'm trying to do for AC employees who deserve it
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Binflyin
I'm not sure that the constant writing in for the crews that you seem to be doing is as beneficial as you believe it to be.
That rather depends on who the intended beneficiary is.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PLeblond
I read this last night and was keeping it in mind this morning on AC 111.

You know what... I don't want the over polished, caste-system-like (read almost servant-esque) Asian carrier service.

SD was great. Had 35+ years service. Was attentive, friendly, professional. Knowledgable. Did the job as well as I could want. I don't need someone calling me sir, or attending to me as if I was royalty. I've mentioned a few times that NZ was a good benchmark, and for a domestic flight this was more than adequate.

I'll look forward to it and (try to) enjoy it when flying Asian carriers, but I don't want it for AC. It does not reflect what I want from a Canadian carrier.

As for feedback, I shook the SD's hand before disembarking, Thanked them and hoped there were more like them in the ranks.
Great service on AC doesn't have to be like that of an asian carrier. While I don't agree with you about the servant-like service by asian carriers, I do see your standpoint (I attribute this to asian hospitality and the difference in culture). As an Asian Canadian, I can understand that the styles of service are very different. At the end of the day, whether on an asian carrier or AC, I simply believe that great service should be recognized. I've certainly had a few surely asian FA's on their respective asian airlines (once on CX, once on Mandarin airlines), and I don't mention a peep. My parents always told me, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. But at the end of the day, I did write in about the BR crews simply because I don't fly BR every week. To me, it was exceptional. And I certainly don't write in about every AC crew, but to those that deserve it, I will continue doing what I think (or what my heart tells me) is the right thing to do.

Don't people in general like it when their work is recognized and/or they get a thank you? I'd like to think so. Then again, I might just be too naive
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Asian, European, Canadian, Martian.. whatever service

The fact is, in general, AC's on board quality of service sucks at least 51% of the time.

Yeah, yeah... "safety first" I get it. But doesn't mean the crew has to be surly and plunk the plate violently on my tray or roll their eyes when I ask for a Scotch. Period.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Asian, European, Canadian, Martian.. whatever service

The fact is, in general, AC's on board quality of service sucks at least 51% of the time.

Yeah, yeah... "safety first" I get it. But doesn't mean the crew has to be surly and plunk the plate violently on my tray or roll their eyes when I ask for a Scotch. Period.
And that is precisely why I do what I do. AC culture needs to change. I know many feel the same way given the fact that I started one of the most read threads on this board about AC culture. (11 pages). We can either do something about it which is rewarding great service, or we can continue being treated like this. I, for one, want to help AC transform so that the awesome employees are rewarded and others follow suit. One can either 1) complain about the bad eggs or 2) compliment the good eggs. I choose #2. I don't choose #3 which is...c'est la vie and take it up the rear end.

The SD I just had flying SEA YYZ knew who AC YYZ/SD was, and knew who another FTer on here that I have proudly written in about. They're a club - of people who care. Let's promote said club so they are recognized. The alternative? What you talked about Nomad. Same **** different day. Not cool, for me, other FFers and especially other FTers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.