Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does Aeroplan website not list all available seats for redemeption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Platinum

Hi all - bit of an Aeroplan noob here, with a pretty fundamental question.

A friend of mine was saying that the Aeroplan website does NOT list all the flights available for redemeptions (i.e. looking on the United website will show different flights available than what is necessarily listed on the Aeroplan website). I've also heard that if you phone and talk to an agent they "find" flights not listed on the website.

Any truth to either one of these? If so, any strategies for searching? I find, for example, Lufthansa's website, to search you need to be an independent member of their "Miles and More".

Also, does anyone particularly recommend against or for certain airlines for North America to Europe Business Class?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:36 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I can only answer part of your question, which is that yes, Aeroplan reps may be able to get flights that are not listed on the website when you do your search.

Someone else will have to answer on how to find those without calling Aeoplan, I've seen people comment on an ANA tool and other options, but don't know anything about them myself.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
It has been this way for years. Online search engines (like AP's) are biased and don't necessarily show all flights available.

This is especially true if YQ is involved or you have a complicated routing, or looking to travel during peak times.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
As for using UA to search, only "saver" award flights are available for Aeroplan booking.

I use ANA search extensively, supplemented by UA.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by beep88
As for using UA to search, only "saver" award flights are available for Aeroplan booking.

I use ANA search extensively, supplemented by UA.
+1 for the ANA tool, i ended up moving some hilton hhonors points to my ANA account so that i could use the star alliance search without jumping through hoops. AP gives such a huge preference to AC and LH that it helps to find some more options.

To OP if you're looking there's ways around it but i found this blog post helpful: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...d-search-tool/
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by kwflyer
It has been this way for years. Online search engines (like AP's) are biased and don't necessarily show all flights available.

This is especially true if YQ is involved or you have a complicated routing, or looking to travel during peak times.
Exactly - some of it is bias towards YQ options, compounded on top of the fact the website simply limits the number of options displayed.

On United.com - when searching - increase the search to 50 - and you ll see many more results than a regular search would yield.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much all!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by abari
+1 for the ANA tool, i ended up moving some hilton hhonors points to my ANA account so that i could use the star alliance search without jumping through hoops.
The Wandering Aramean (Seth Miller) also has a Grease Monkey script that you can use with Firefox, to get around the "crack" way.
http://blog.wandr.me/2012/08/reintro...r-search-link/
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Quick followup question all; once you find a flight on ANA, how do you go about booking it? (call Aeroplan and give them the flight number?).

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eishv
Quick followup question all; once you find a flight on ANA, how do you go about booking it? (call Aeroplan and give them the flight number?).

Thanks!
yes, spoonfeed, flight by flight
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:35 pm

Just checked out the ANA search engine for the first time - cool!

Does it include all levels of Award including MarketFare or just Classic level? Any way to differentiate if it does?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Royal Flusher

Does it include all levels of Award including MarketFare or just Classic level? Any way to differentiate if it does?
Classic Level.
Market level is for AC flights only - and has pretty much fixed pricing vs a revenue ticket at 1-1.5 cents/mile

So if a revenue ticket is $800 to Europe - chances are market fare will be around 45000 points + $500
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:07 pm

Thanks. Color me stubborn (or cheap) but I refuse to redeem anything other than Classic.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks. Color me stubborn (or cheap) but I refuse to redeem anything other than Classic.
Yup.

And your best value for AP point redemption is looking for business class seats on the few remaining *A carriers that don't rip you off with "fuel surcharges"....! Look at those you will be amazed.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: SE, tdaero, amexaero

Does ana do multicity? I couldnt find the function.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.