Connect in FRA, ZRH, or MUC?

Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold
Connect in FRA, ZRH, or MUC?

Flying AC TATL there seems to be always 3 main *A options to connect.

Which route from your experience has been the easiest to upgrade?

Trying to decide which flight to book for my trip to NCE in April.

Thanks!

Last edited by YYZ13; Jan 31, 2015 at 9:32 pm
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Haven't had the opportunity to connect in MUC yet but FRA is generally a nightmare. ZRH, on the other hand, I've found pretty quick (e.g., security, passport control) and reasonably compact compared to the enormity that is FRA.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:58 pm

MUC is quite easy as well. I would personally base it on the departure time from Canada so as to maximize the opportunity to sleep on the plane. From YYZ both ZRH and MUC seem to be quite good for that.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:00 pm

MUC or ZRH.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
Avoid FRA if possible . It's just a nightmare transferring through that maze to some short haul flight that requires you to be taken out on the apron by bus.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:32 pm

FRA on the way home for the nicer lounge.(MLL)
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've done all three and slightly prefer MUC particularly. ZRA is a close second. Even my FRA experiences haven't been that bad when measured against CDG.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: AC:50K
I rather like FRA -- despite being very big, it is well organized and has very clear signage. To me a nightmare airport isn't one which is big and complex; it's one where you can't figure out which way you need to be headed.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:17 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Never connected in MUC, but I'd take ZRH over FRA any day.

Last edited by PLeblond; Feb 1, 2015 at 12:22 am
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by YYZ13
Flying AC TATL there seems to be always 3 main *A options to connect.

Which route from your experience has been the easiest to upgrade?

Trying to decide which flight to book for my trip to NCE in April.

Thanks!
If your question is "which is most likely to be upgraded," my experience has been that ZRH is the most difficult (few upgrade opportunities, as the J cabin is often full prior to the check-in time (Aerolotto chances are poor), MUC has a fair chance, and FRA has the most opportunities.

For ease of connection, I think MUC and ZRH are tied, and FRA may take more time. For me, I don't mind the trek in FRA between flights, and I do like the MLL more than the LH lounge in MUC or the LX lounge in ZRH.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: AC-E50. Marriott Plat
If key decision criteria is likelihood of upgrade, they are all tough routes because so heavily travelled by frequent flyers. I prefer MUC over FRA, the airport is much nicer IMO. If there is enough time between flights, head out to the "courtyard" area in the middle of the airport (landside) there is a beer garden and fresh air. In FRA I am always amazed at the tunnel from A to B with the tiny elevators or 4 flights of stairs - who designs this for an airport?? what a bottleneck...
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: Air Canada 100K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Accor Gold, Best Western Diamond
If I am staying overnight...Frankfurt every time....and even if I am transiting through Zurich the next day...I generally opt to stay at FRA...and fly on the next day. But I do stay a lot at Airport hotels in Zurich airport, all have free shuttles. Only go to Munich if I am getting off....or there is a better onward connection...
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
For ease of connection both ZRH and MUC are decent options. Not that FRA is "complicated" to connect through but it will usually involve more walking and connections, although "legal", have often been fairly thight. However, FRA being the main hub - if things go wrong, you usually have decent options for rebooking (ZRH and MUC aren't bad - but may offer less options)

As for ease of upgrade, it appears that ZRH is using a 763 throughout April, MUC 77W/77L and FRA 2X 77W (+1LH 744). I have found upgrading on YYZ-FRA to be the most difficult. ZRH would have the least seat capacity - so this may make MUC an interesting candidate
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
If your question is "which is most likely to be upgraded," my experience has been that ZRH is the most difficult (few upgrade opportunities, as the J cabin is often full prior to the check-in time (Aerolotto chances are poor), MUC has a fair chance, and FRA has the most opportunities.

For ease of connection, I think MUC and ZRH are tied, and FRA may take more time. For me, I don't mind the trek in FRA between flights, and I do like the MLL more than the LH lounge in MUC or the LX lounge in ZRH.
I have two datapoints for ZRH and upgrades.

YYZ-ZRH on a Monday on a 788 (so 20 J seats), it departed with 3 empty.
ZRH-YYZ on a Sunday on a 788, it departed full.

I wasn't watching loads though.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
I like MUC for outbounds. FRA MLL is nice for returning to Canada.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.