Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR - HNL Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
If one wants flat bed in a premium cabin, then fly the UA direct non-stop flights between EWR and HNL.

I have not tried it, but it is mentioned on the UA forum as perhaps the only flat bed premium cabin option between Hawaii and the US mainland on any US based airline. Of course, this flight will not deal with those passengers flying from YVR or cities close to YVR.

I understand that AC still offers a flat bed business class option between YYC and OGG?
I would choose AA DFW-HNL or DFW-OGG over UA. 4 daily flights I believe. But it involves an obscenely early morning flight to DFW.

YYC-OGG service exists in theory. But in practice the J cabin is usually sold out so you can't get a seat at any price.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Re the speculation on whether or not YYC-OGG will remain mainline. Take it for whatever you think it's worth, but my parents make that trip regularly and on their last trip in January, the FA told my dad that next winter the route will be Rouged. Surprising to me as I've felt like there were probably a lot of people in YYC who, like my parents, were paying full J fares to fly there, which would make it worth AC's while to fly it mainline.

Since I've been looking at making the trip myself in January 2016, I'd also be quite disappointed if it got Rouged.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Since several posters have talked about YYC-OGG, any advise on transit as I will be on this route (YYZ-YYC-OGG) and return in a couple of weeks. Do we have to pick up bags and then do US CBP or is it like YYZ where your bags are on a screen and you don't have to physically drag them around? Will 2 hrs be enough to do the US CBP stuff and head to the lounge? All of us have Nexus. Same question with Canada customs on the reverse.
And lounges in OGG - either Star Alliance or Priority pass?
Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
Do we have to pick up bags and then do US CBP or is it like YYZ where your bags are on a screen and you don't have to physically drag them around? Will 2 hrs be enough to do the US CBP stuff and head to the lounge? All of us have Nexus. Same question with Canada customs on the reverse.
And lounges in OGG - either Star Alliance or Priority pass?
Thanks
You pick up bags, then clear US Customs.
2 hours is more than enough. The only lounge is the domestic lounge. If you go to the lounge, your bags will go around the carousel until you or an employee picks them up.
On the return, you pick up your bags, leave the customs hall, drop bags on the transfer belt.
The only lounge in OGG is the HA lounge. It is not listed on the PP website.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
IAD-HNL also has layflats

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
If one wants flat bed in a premium cabin, then fly the UA direct non-stop flights between EWR and HNL.

I have not tried it, but it is mentioned on the UA forum as perhaps the only flat bed premium cabin option between Hawaii and the US mainland on any US based airline. Of course, this flight will not deal with those passengers flying from YVR or cities close to YVR.

I understand that AC still offers a flat bed business class option between YYC and OGG?
Another way for eastern flyers is IAD it also has a 767-400 with layflat seats. For UA flyers that means we fly yyz-hnl for $570cnd and upgrade. Done it twice in the last 6 months.
even for AC flyers its a great mileage run, and beats AC Rouge anyday. There is a thread in premium runs for YYZ-HNL in business class for $1100 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...70-p-fare.html
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by adam.smith
Re the speculation on whether or not YYC-OGG will remain mainline. Take it for whatever you think it's worth, but my parents make that trip regularly and on their last trip in January, the FA told my dad that next winter the route will be Rouged. Surprising to me as I've felt like there were probably a lot of people in YYC who, like my parents, were paying full J fares to fly there, which would make it worth AC's while to fly it mainline.
Not when "Full J" ("C" in this case) for a 7 hour Flat bed are able to command a whopping $1,700 each way. That's full fare, flexible Exec First seat for $250/hour. Doubt there's another route in AC's entire network where C/J can only garner that price point. AC should have Rouged those kind of garbage yields
Originally Posted by why fly
Another way for eastern flyers is IAD it also has a 767-400 with layflat seats.
IADHNL is daily over Xmas but reverts to 1/2*week outside that window.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Is YYC-OGG the only AC flight to Hawaii left that hasn't been Rouged?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:17 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Yes.

And with all things on Rouging questions: If the yield was there, there would be no need to Rouge the flight.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
YVR-KOA is mainline.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by tracon
YVR-KOA is mainline.
oops. My bad. I thought all YVR routes were Rouge.

Thanks for the correction.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Yes.

And with all things on Rouging questions: If the yield was there, there would be no need to Rouge the flight.
Sorry, but why would you say this. rouge is about reducing AC's costs. When is there even *not* a reason to rouge? Even if they run at 100% load factor on a route, why not rouge a route if costs go down and profit goes up? AFAICS the only reason they don't rouge everything except long haul TPAC and TATL is the pilot's contract. There was no *need* to gut the Altitude program either, but they did. Your statement doesn't make sense.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
Sorry, but why would you say this. rouge is about reducing AC's costs. When is there even *not* a reason to rouge? Even if they run at 100% load factor on a route, why not rouge a route if costs go down and profit goes up? AFAICS the only reason they don't rouge everything except long haul TPAC and TATL is the pilot's contract. There was no *need* to gut the Altitude program either, but they did. Your statement doesn't make sense.
I would refer you to Rouge thread for more information on this, but since it has about 1,000,000,000 posts...

AC has 2 markets.

a) High yield business travel, where they compete on Transborder flights with UA/DL/AA and, longhaul international business travel, where they compete with all the other similar types.

b) Leisure O/D and occasional travel people.

Most countries are large enough for carriers to chose one or the other, AC reached a point that if they wanted growth they need to compete in both markets.

They are the only airline in the domestic market offering the features of a classic business airline (real J, lounges, network to international destinations, etc. etc. etc.) As long as there is a market in Canada domestically, and these services are demanded/offered on transborder, and longhaul international, this is their business model.

The Rouge routes are basically routes where the higher yield (usually business) dollars were not present, AND where they were facing competition from lower cost competition.

I believe that as long as people are willing to pay for J and full fare Y on routes, AC will continue offering it. As soon as the yields on a route falls bellow a certain level, coupled with lower cost competition then Rouge becomes the viable solution.

I have stated before on other threads that as long as people are willing to buy J, AC will continue to offer it. They day that market evaporates, they should move to an all Y model like Westjet or Jet Blue.

Basically, the geographic and population make up in Canada means AC has to be both. I do not see the them moving to an all Rouge model as long as people pay for the mainline model.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I would refer you to Rouge thread for more information on this, but since it has about 1,000,000,000 posts...

AC has 2 markets.

a) High yield business travel, where they compete on Transborder flights with UA/DL/AA and, longhaul international business travel, where they compete with all the other similar types.

b) Leisure O/D and occasional travel people.

Most countries are large enough for carriers to chose one or the other, AC reached a point that if they wanted growth they need to compete in both markets.

They are the only airline in the domestic market offering the features of a classic business airline (real J, lounges, network to international destinations, etc. etc. etc.) As long as there is a market in Canada domestically, and these services are demanded/offered on transborder, and longhaul international, this is their business model.

The Rouge routes are basically routes where the higher yield (usually business) dollars were not present, AND where they were facing competition from lower cost competition.

I believe that as long as people are willing to pay for J and full fare Y on routes, AC will continue offering it. As soon as the yields on a route falls bellow a certain level, coupled with lower cost competition then Rouge becomes the viable solution.

I have stated before on other threads that as long as people are willing to buy J, AC will continue to offer it. They day that market evaporates, they should move to an all Y model like Westjet or Jet Blue.

Basically, the geographic and population make up in Canada means AC has to be both. I do not see the them moving to an all Rouge model as long as people pay for the mainline model.
You are saying that given a chance to increase profit AC will a) not do that b) ignore its fiduciary duty to shareholders.

rouge is this:

- Seat "A" sells for $10
- Mainline AC cost is $8
- rouge cost is $7

Which product do you stock to supply "A"? There is no world in which you choose mainline over rouge (pilot contract aside).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Globalist
as a first time AC flyer, was pleased to see flights in august are $425 HNL-YVR roundtrip (vs. $800 united). was surprised that you get nickled and dimed for seat selection etc... anyone know if *G will get any kind of seating or check in benefits on rouge?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
You are saying that given a chance to increase profit AC will a) not do that b) ignore its fiduciary duty to shareholders.

rouge is this:

- Seat "A" sells for $10
- Mainline AC cost is $8
- rouge cost is $7

Which product do you stock to supply "A"? There is no world in which you choose mainline over rouge (pilot contract aside).
So you think if Rouge is good for one route it must be good for all routes? That's ridiculous.

Here's the typical YVR-Hawaii passenger
-WS seat 'A' sells for $10 (no IFE, slimline), mainline AC 763 sells for $11
-Passenger chooses WS as they just want a cheap seat. They don't care about 2-3-2, AVOD
-AC changes price to $10 just to try and fill the seats. The route underperforms relative to the rest of the network

So it goes to Rouge where AC can charge the same $10 but leads to higher ROI thanks to 29% lower CASM.

If AC tried doing that on many other routes (YYZ-YYC, YYZ-LGA) it wouldn't work. AC would have to slash prices far more than Rouge CASM savings to fill the seats. Travellers on some routes will pay more for mainline than Rouge, but not all routes.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.