YVR - HNL Business

Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner
OGG-YYC has a very limited schedule. There are zero flights in September, the OP's timeframe. Also, although the schedule shows AC43/44 will resume in December 2015 as a mainline flight, I find it hard to believe it won't be rouged.
If it doesn't go daily I don't see much option for it to not stay mainline. They aren't ferrying a Rouge 763 in/out of yyc a few times a week, and it seems unlikely they would put on a Rouge flight YYZYYC as they said they won't compete with themselves on any mainline route.

YYC-LAS/LAX isn't like YVR, I don't think they could throw in turns there on off days to increase utilization.

YYCCUN could be interesting though... Hmm I'm talking myself into agreeing with you now! It can't stay mainline. No way can AC mainline 211 seat 763 compete with the incoming high density WS 763.

Last edited by winnipegrev; Feb 2, 2015 at 1:35 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
If it doesn't go daily I don't see much option for it to stay mainline. They aren't ferrying a Rouge 763 in/out of yyc a few times a week, and it seems unlikely they would put on a Rouge flight YYZYYC as they said they won't compete with themselves on any mainline route.

YYC-LAS/LAX isn't like YVR, I don't think they could throw in turns there on off days to increase utilization.

YYCCUN could be interesting though... Hmm I'm talking myself into agreeing with you now! It can't stay mainline. No way can AC mainline 211 seat 763 compete with the incoming high density WS 763.
I would much prefer that you disagree with me! I want YYC/OGG to remain mainline. It is somewhat encouraging that the schedule does not show it as rouge.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:42 pm

I would much prefer that you disagree with me! I want YYC/OGG to remain mainline. It is somewhat encouraging that the schedule does not show it as rouge.
I'll miss it if it disappears. I preferred the earlier arrival into OGG, earlier departure ex-OGG, and longer flight to sleep on the redeye. Even if YVR remained mainline I'd still choose to route through the dump that is YYC airport for those other reasons.

I think the best we can hope for is maybe they'll try a year of mainline against WS's slaveship to see if there's enough of us willing to pay for it to keep it around. But based on Rouge's success... I'd bet against it.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
If it doesn't go daily I don't see much option for it to not stay mainline. They aren't ferrying a Rouge 763 in/out of yyc a few times a week, and it seems unlikely they would put on a Rouge flight YYZYYC as they said they won't compete with themselves on any mainline route.

Going to be interesting when we have the discussion Prem Rouge vs UA or DL J to KIX once service starts in May.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
Thank you everyone for your comments, I didn't intend to cause such a debate haha!

It should be noted I am not stuck on departing from YVR, we'll be flying in from MAN via KEF on FI and have YVR, SEA, PDX, DEN, ANC and YEG as destination options - we don't even have to be on AC either. I should also state that this is for September 2016.

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Was on this flight a couple weeks ago. The food and service was good and being able to sit beside my wife made the trip more enjoyable. I did bailed out on the return flight because it was over night. Returned home via YYC from Maui because that flight has pods. I would spend the money again for YVR to HNL flight.
Thank you for your first hand insight!

If nonstop is important for YVR-HNL, I would be inclined to just book WestJet Plus seats. September fares are under $600. Compared to premium rouge, that would save over $800 for two people. I don't believe there would be an appreciable comfort difference between the two options.
It's not super important but preferred for a direct flight. WestJet premium seating with lounge access for a potential saving of $800 is very attractive!

Originally Posted by why fly
i am sure the OP can find some $400Y flights and have $1200 to spend on something other than Rouge Premium!

Also to the OP if you have a friend on UA they will have upgrade certs to get you to First, or you can trade for certs for aprox $50 on FT.

So for $800 + $100 for UA certs you might explore some other options. ( ps fares should be less than $400
Where on earth are you getting these figures? Can you be more specific for airlines for $400 in Y? I am using Skyscanner at the moment.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Flat bed - try UA EWR-HNL

If one wants flat bed in a premium cabin, then fly the UA direct non-stop flights between EWR and HNL.

I have not tried it, but it is mentioned on the UA forum as perhaps the only flat bed premium cabin option between Hawaii and the US mainland on any US based airline. Of course, this flight will not deal with those passengers flying from YVR or cities close to YVR.

I understand that AC still offers a flat bed business class option between YYC and OGG?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:04 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
If one wants flat bed in a premium cabin, then fly the UA direct non-stop flights between EWR and HNL.

I have not tried it, but it is mentioned on the UA forum as perhaps the only flat bed premium cabin option between Hawaii and the US mainland on any US based airline. Of course, this flight will not deal with those passengers flying from YVR or cities close to YVR.

I understand that AC still offers a flat bed business class option between YYC and OGG?
That suggestion has been made many times. It is an excellent suggestion from the East for getting to Hawaii with lie flat seats.

And yes, the YYC-OGG is still served by mainline, but chances are that won't last long.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
There is only one daily ewr-hnl on a 767-400. However, iad-hnl is also frequently a 767-400 as is the 4pm sfo -hnl.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by wolvie007
There is only one daily ewr-hnl on a 767-400. However, iad-hnl is also frequently a 767-400 as is the 4pm sfo -hnl.
Does this plane fly in the reverse direction - ie HNL-IAD or HNL-SFO?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:25 am

Does this plane fly in the reverse direction - ie HNL-IAD or HNL-SFO?
I'm not sure the aerodynamics work very well for planes flying in the reverse direction.

(Sorry, couldn't hold back there).
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond
I'm not sure the aerodynamics work very well for planes flying in the reverse direction.

(Sorry, couldn't hold back there).
This is a serious question - just because a certain plane is flies in one direction between 2 cities does not mean that the same plane always flies in the reverse direction (I am talking about any airline in the world - including AC - can you say that every AC route which has a given plane flying in one direction has that plane always flying the corresponding route in the other direction) - who is to say that in the reverse direction this plane does not fly HNL-SFO.

Maybe just HNL-EWR and HNL-IAD.

I presume this plane does not at all fly HNL-LAX or HNL-ORD or HNL-DEN?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:44 am

This is a serious question - just because a certain plane is flies in one direction between 2 cities does not mean that the same plane always flies in the reverse direction (I am talking about any airline in the world - including AC - can you say that every AC route which has a given plane flying in one direction has that plane always flying the corresponding route in the other direction) - who is to say that in the reverse direction this plane does not fly HNL-SFO.

Indeed. I was not mocking the question. It is a valid question as the route might continue to Japan and not fly the reverse route.

I was simply having fun with your choice of words. I understand, as I assume everyone else did, you meant the same plane flying the reverse route.

Nothing mean intended. Its Sunday morning, I must be a little giddy.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS

It does fly HNL-EWR and occasionally there is reward availability. Booked Mrs. Allbrosca on it for October through AE (YYZ-LAX-OGG,HNL-EWR-YYZ).
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Indeed. I was not mocking the question. It is a valid question as the route might continue to Japan and not fly the reverse route.

I was simply having fun with your choice of words. I understand, as I assume everyone else did, you meant the same plane flying the reverse route.

Nothing mean intended. Its Sunday morning, I must be a little giddy.
Thanks.

Yes, I understood your statements were made in fun. I did laugh at your statement!

To continue with my question - I wonder if you can give me at least one example of an AC plane that flies from A to B, but not back from B to A?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:40 pm

Thanks.

Yes, I understood your statements were made in fun. I did laugh at your statement!

To continue with my question - I wonder if you can give me at least one example of an AC plane that flies from A to B, but not back from B to A?
A lot of the wide bodies doing YYZ-YVR continue to TPAC. Same the other way, they continue to TATL. Since AC's configurations are almost identical, routes almost always have the same configuration.

My last flight from FLL-YUL, the inbound aircraft was actually from YYZ, so it did YYZ-FLL-YUL. I recall Vegas being similar, pre-Rouge, the inbound from YUL returned to YYZ. I think the YUL return was originally from YYC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.