Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

116 Layoffs at AP announced; 18% of workforce

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Layoffs at AE announced today
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Sulu15
Anything to enhance shareholder value.

Any specifics?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Over 116 ppl laid off between the YVR and YUL offices. Not much more said yet.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:38 pm

Aeroplan announced today at the UMHQ massive layoffs numbers of 116 members representing over 18% of the workforce, citing a reduction in call volume. The company also advised the union of their intended consolidation of all support work to Montreal forcing the closure of the support department in Vancouver affecting over 60 Unifor members.

The company also advised there will be adjustments to the current shift trading process to ensure they are complying with legal obligations (effective April 1, 2015). A committee comprised of the bargaining committee and company representatives will work on options ensuring that the shift trading rights that currently exist will be respected within the new process.

The union believes these cuts are far too deep and the company is ignoring the fact that service levels will be negatively affected. We recognize the impact this shocking news will have on our members’ lives and families, and we will continue to work to minimize this through pushing the use of all possible voluntary mitigation options.
Unifor Local 2002 Release
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA, AC
116 = massive?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

They already forced people part time 2 years ago and have been on a hiring freeze.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner
116 = massive?
18% of your call centre staff is a pretty big cut.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult
18% of your call centre staff is a pretty big cut.
To me, "massive" sounds like union hyperbole. If I run a small business with 4 employees and I reduce that to 3 employees, is that a massive cut? It's 25%.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:34 pm

Are call volumes lower because people have tired of waiting on hold to reach an agent?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by SensFan
Are call volumes lower because people have tired of waiting on hold to reach an agent?
I don't even remember the last time I called AE. Maybe 8-10 years ago. If I can't book an AE award online I don't bother.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by After Burner
I don't even remember the last time I called AE. Maybe 8-10 years ago. If I can't book an AE award online I don't bother.
Maybe that's why?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Sulu15
What! I guess they still didn't charge enough YQ!!!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Ohhh that's not good I've been on the phone with AP a half dozen+ times in the past few months because of multiple United forced flight changes with a redemption I've got coming up next week from YYZ to HNL. I never had to wait more than 3 minutes to speak with anyone.... guess that will change in the future.....
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are not customers, but mere suckers.

They are not doing all that well. So they'll make us suffer more. Surprise surprise.

I for one would really wish the smoke and mirror crookery would go belly up once and for all. But surely that would not make AC terribly happy. At the end of the day Aeroscam is their customer no. 1.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
this is customer enhancement. Air Canada will send out a press release shortly.

Aeroplan will then send out a press release saying we agree, but wait till you see how bad the service is when Altitude takes over from Aeroplan in a few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.