Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Award Availability Increase Close In?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

I'm in a bit of a pickle. Using United miles to book Air Canada flights. Dad is in YWG and it's a special trip to take him to Ireland in March. Unfortunately, we fly on prime days (Saturday/Sunday).

I was able to book every segment except YYZ - YWG on the return. It's a Sunday and I need late afternoon/anytime in the evening.

I have been checking every day for the past 2 months and it is all horrible overnight connections, which won't work due to his job (getting to be able to take a week off was hard enough - financial reasons).

Yesterday a random AM flight popped up, but nothing else.

Seats maps (I know, not a perfect indicator) show that all the direct post-3:00 PM flights are wide open (except the midnight flight).

I know that it is a gamble, but I'm starting to sweat. At some point I have to give up on the miles and just buy a one-way ticket (which really stings and almost defeats the purpose of using miles on the TATL portion). Westjet prices are really high too.

So my question:

Historically, how is AC in terms of releasing economy award space (at a saver rate) closer to departure?

At what point do you give up and buy a revenue ticket (i.e., before the revenue tickets jack up too high in price)?

**Can I rant at how much I hate the lack of international service out of YWG?**

I appreciate the help and apologize for my naivete with respect to AC. It is not my primary airline (only fly when I redeem UA miles to get home at the holidays).

Last edited by flyfaraway; Jan 28, 2015 at 8:57 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
If it's a Sunday afternoon/evening flight and it's around spring break, I wouldn't like the odds of awards seats opening up. I'm fairly risk averse when it comes to travel so I'd probably bite the bullet sooner rather than later.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you somedude. It is mid-March, so the end of spring break for US....but not sure about Canadian universities/schools (always thought they were around easter, but it's been awhile since I was in school).

My change fee on UA will be $100. Or I have the option of a WestJet flight for $267USD (thank goodness for the good exchange rate - for Americans).

Not sure why I'm being so picky about this $167. I should just suck it up and buy the ticket.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Suck it up - pay the $167 = no more worries !
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:28 am

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
Spring break is dependant on province my self the first two weeks in march for quebec with English schools the first week and french the second. Coworkers in ontario are the third week with their kids. Can't speak about the other provinces either

I would not expect to find many flights open for award travel...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information klove. Thanks Yukon

I'll just grab the Westjet flight...and of course kick myself for not buying it when it was $200!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by flyfaraway
Thank you somedude. It is mid-March, so the end of spring break for US....but not sure about Canadian universities/schools (always thought they were around easter, but it's been awhile since I was in school).

My change fee on UA will be $100. Or I have the option of a WestJet flight for $267USD (thank goodness for the good exchange rate - for Americans).

Not sure why I'm being so picky about this $167. I should just suck it up and buy the ticket.
Don't book a WestJet flight. I would book a AC flight to YWG instead. If your AC flight is delayed from Europe, AC will re-book you on the next flight out(Link file numbers). If you book WestJet and you miss your flight, you will most likely have problems. This happened to me 2 years ago. There was snow problems in FRA causing us to arrive into YYZ 6 hours late. WestJet basically told me it was not there problem and gave me no help at all.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Wpg - Oh yikes! I'm sorry that happened. I didn't see this earlier and booked the westjet earlier (It went down to $240). Fingers crossed that we don't have any weather issues....I've given him a 4 hour layover in yyz. The AC flight we would need was significantly higher at almost $400 for the ticket!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.