Wiki Posts
Search

Meal Orders in J

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac777
Just to make this more complicated....
Was on the redeye. Across from me was another SEMM. I was asked first for the meal order and he was asked next. Now let the speculations begin:
a. Was It because I was older than him?
b. Was it because of alphabetical order?
c. Maybe because The total in my MM account???
Oh come on. In case of a tie, surely the FA picks whatever rule he/she likes. Maybe the guy looked more sexy?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:37 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
This really is like "Sophie's Choice"

According to the vast majority of contributions here in this ever-recurring post, the protocol is followed. We don't know what you have paid, we don't know how many miles you have, nor how long you've been an Aeroplan Member. In fact basic manifest/name information is only available within 24 hours of the flight and only to the operating Service Director. Privacy concerns and issues you know. We just muddle along and try to equitably make it work out.
Works for me.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Stranger
Oh come on. In case of a tie, surely the FA picks whatever rule he/she likes. Maybe the guy looked more sexy?
My smiles and greeting to cabin crew as I enter the aircraft always count for something!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
This really is like "Sophie's Choice"

According to the vast majority of contributions here in this ever-recurring post, the protocol is followed. We don't know what you have paid, we don't know how many miles you have, nor how long you've been an Aeroplan Member. In fact basic manifest/name information is only available within 24 hours of the flight and only to the operating Service Director. Privacy concerns and issues you know. We just muddle along and try to equitably make it work out.
Surely you jest.

Please share your wizardry with us~!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Still some odd things happen once in a while though.

On a flight yesterday (AC195), 2 SE (myself and better half) on same PNR, better half was asked first by name and then the FA disappeared and started working from the front of the cabin...! In the end, I ended up having my first choice of meal, so all good but nonetheless surprising.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DNAwizard

On a flight yesterday (AC195), 2 SE (myself and better half) on same PNR, better half was asked first by name and then the FA disappeared and started working from the front of the cabin...! In the end, I ended up having my first choice of meal, so all good but nonetheless surprising.
Similar things have happened to me in the past, when an SD neglects by mistake to take my meal order in the first round (I'm SE). I never know quite what to do then ... if the SD is close by then I'll say something, but they are generally busy and often some distance away ...

My issue is that it seems like a minor thing to make a fuss over - and ringing the call button or yelling across the cabin seem like overkill - and I don't like to come across as a DYKWIA type ... so I usually just sit there, trying but failing to make eye contact, and eventually waiting until the SD gathers all remaining meal orders. So far it's never resulted in me missing my meal of choice, but I'd love to hear how others handle that situation.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DNAwizard

I have found that domestic/transborder narrow body flights tend to have SDs/crew who do not follow rules as well as international and wide body flights. This, again, is my anecdotal experience (again, my flight patterns are more than most of you here, so it's not a drop in the bucket per se).
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I have found that domestic/transborder narrow body flights tend to have SDs/crew who do not follow rules as well as international and wide body flights. This, again, is my anecdotal experience (again, my flight patterns are more than most of you here, so it's not a drop in the bucket per se).
There is no priority meal taking for domestic flights. This has been told to me a few times when I wrote those smiles cards back in the day thanking him/her for doing that. They've told me it's not policy for domestic flights. I thanked them anyways
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
There is no priority meal taking for domestic flights. This has been told to me a few times when I wrote those smiles cards back in the day thanking him/her for doing that. They've told me it's not policy for domestic flights. I thanked them anyways
Oh... I actually had no idea. So basically if it is done by status on domestic flights, I should thank them!!!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Oh... I actually had no idea. So basically if it is done by status on domestic flights, I should thank them!!!
Yes, definitely thank them. I will say that the incidence of priority meal taking in domestic J has dropped since I became elite a few years ago. It used to be 90%? of my flights - now it's...5% will do this. I think for you the difference is that you're MM - so out of respect (and good CS), they take your meal first. Not sure if there is policy for MM's though.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, definitely thank them. I will say that the incidence of priority meal taking in domestic J has dropped since I became elite a few years ago. It used to be 90%? of my flights - now it's...5% will do this. I think for you the difference is that you're MM - so out of respect (and good CS), they take your meal first. Not sure if there is policy for MM's though.
For me Domestic/TB I'd say now it's about 50%... I find that on the YYZ YVR widebodies it is around 90% of the time.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: Irrelevant
I thought the meal order choice priority was followed for the premium long haul domestic flights.

That seems to be my experience, but on all other domestic flights orders are usually taken front to back.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaysona
I thought the meal order choice priority was followed for the premium long haul domestic flights.

That seems to be my experience, but on all other domestic flights orders are usually taken front to back.
This may explain why yyznomad is at a higher rate for this than I am. His YVR to YYZ flights are premium domestic long haul as you mentioned. My specific incident was on a domestic flight but I don't recall if it was designated premium or not (most likely not as I don't do YYZ YVR a whole lot. When I did YEG to YYZ I've never seen it by status, not sure if this is a premium route tho). I do remember it was on a narrowbody, but don't recall aircraft type.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Thank you for the info. I was not aware of this either. I'll definitely thank them when (if) I get asked first again. Although I must say it has happened in about 60% of my domestic/TB flights and 100% of international. No complain. Except that maybe AC should be more transparent about what the policy is.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Not this time

AC 756 SFO-YYZ today.
13 people in J on a 763, meal order by row and column (1 A --> 8K). I was 2nd to last in 6K (I'm SE) and they were out of my 1st choice by the time they got to me. The salmon was popular tonight!

On the flight out a few days ago, meal order by some sort of status or something. They asked me and a few others, then by row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.