Hacks & Mods - Add Yours!

Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Get a smaller laptop for travel if you can't open it when the seat in front is reclined. Or book bulkheads, or PY, or J. Or another airline which meets your requirements.
This is not always possible. 1) Corporate policy dictates Y 2) There are some machines that you can't find in a small form factor (would be defined as small as per the 2000's, but not considered small today). I need to have an i7, 1TB of SSD's, and between 16-32GB of RAM. I'm already using a pretty small/expensive machine (T430s) at 14.1" and 1" thick (or so). How can you solve that issue? The reality is, you can't (at least for now). Therefore one makes do with what one has...in this case, an Enroute mag (finally a use for it.)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Tip 1: I use a CATSA ziploc baggie for all of my pocket contents: coins, wallet, phone, etc. I also have some headphones, earplugs, and gum in there too. Benefits: everything is in one place for check in, security, boarding, and on the plane (and de-planing at the end of the flight too!). I never have to search various jacket, hoodie, pants, etc pockets, and every item is always visible. Works like a charm and I never have to stress out that I misplaced anything.

Tip 2: I if I need to work on a flight or just don't want someone to recline into my space, I choose exit row or bulkhead seats, where the tray is in the armrest. My satisfaction rate with this choice is very high.

Tip 3: If I want to relax on a flight, I recline my seat to whatever position I want. This paid for feature makes the flight more enjoyable. Try it sometime!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
When traveling in a pod, test that it works as soon as you get on the plane so that any seat reset can happen before you get in the air. On my last trip, I did this on the outbound, but forgot to on my return. Of course it needed to be reset! I should have noticed when the controls didn't light up (this was on a 767). Fortunately, the climb out was smooth, so the FA got down on the floor and handled it quickly.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by tomsundstrom
When traveling in a pod, test that it works as soon as you get on the plane so that any seat reset can happen before you get in the air. On my last trip, I did this on the outbound, but forgot to on my return. Of course it needed to be reset! I should have noticed when the controls didn't light up (this was on a 767). Fortunately, the climb out was smooth, so the FA got down on the floor and handled it quickly.
I do my own resets now.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
At 6 ft 4 if I am unable to get a preferred seat the person in front of me is not reclining because my thigh bones are taking up all of the space. This is particularly true in the HD layout as there simply is not sufficient room for me to get by feet under the seat in front and stretch out.

A mod I saw the other day which I liked, on a Transatlantic night flight in a pod the person across from me took an extra duvet from an empty pod and spread it out on their seat and then used the second one as a cover so they had more of a proper bed.

My wife travels with a small down travelling pillow and a travelling cashmere blanket that folds into a matching carrier.

Last edited by MQS007; Jan 2, 2015 at 10:45 am Reason: more complete answer
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
I save the new J amenity ziplock bags to use as my liquids bag - it's a bit larger than the CATSA issued bags but nobody notices or raises a stink.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by MQS007
A mod I saw the other day which I liked, on a Transatlantic night flight in a pod the person across from me took an extra duvet from an empty pod and spread it out on their seat and then used the second one as a cover so they had more of a proper bed.
+1 -- I do this using the provided duvet for my seat (even if a spare isn't available) and always have a light down or polyfill shell (with arms) which I wear for warmth. Tilting the headrest up a touch with the duvet underneath makes the whole bed comfortable. I am always warm enough and never get tangled up in anything-easy in/out if I need to get up to go to the washroom.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Get a smaller laptop for travel if you can't open it when the seat in front is reclined. Or book bulkheads, or PY, or J. Or another airline which meets your requirements.

I don't give a damn if you think the person in front of you has legitimate reason to recline or not. Just because it is 10am, 12pm, 2pm, 4pm doesn't mean ****. Who's to say they haven't been flying all night from Europe, South America, Asia, Australia or a redeye from the coast and they are on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th flight of their day and extremely tired. If you don't remove anything blocking recline when asked, there would be a major problem onboard. And guess who crew will be siding with 100% of the time.

When the seat in front of me isn't fully reclined, I anticipate that they may do the jerk move and jam it back in a blink. Plan where your expensive devices are accordingly. It's that simple.
I thought that if you were required to do work on a plane and needed the extra room for laptop, you should be booking business class.

I feel like the opening a full size laptop in Y is like asking people on the bus to not sit next to you so you don't have to put your bag on the floor because it contains fragile stuff.

But regardless, this issue will never be settled. It comes down to "your freedom stops where someone else's starts".
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dorian
I do my own resets now.
How do you do that?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:49 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Being the OP on the magazine hack I too am considerate when deploying the hack and throughout the conversation that sometimes follows when the pax in front complains.

For starters, at best the space where recline is shared, no one passenger owns the space. Out of the 4.5 inches of recline, I don't have any problem with the pax wanting first 2 inches, it's the last 2.5 inches causing the problem.the biggest problem is on daytime transcontinental flights where the pax in front wants to fully recline for no apparent reason other than to grab the maximum amount of space available and no consideration for other pax around.

For starters I do not employ the hack when it obvious sleep time (eg departing or arriving late at night, international east bound TransAt, etc.).

Also the primary purpose of the hack is to save my laptop from getting destroyed. This hack requires the meal tray to be down. When I use the hack it is because I am also using the meal tray, either for laptop or for meal time.

For starters, recline is not an advertised feature that can form part of a complaint to regulatory authority. You cannot go before a regulatory body and say that you are owed compensation because airline X refused to provide you with a reclining seat.

Interesting that you brought up the light issue, I view recline and light to be in the same category of we all have to get along and compromise to make everyone mostly happy flight. I fully realize that while pax A wants to sleep pax B wants to get work done or just read a good book. This is where time of flight becomes the key deciding factor. I do not anticipate doing work on 9pm departure YYZ-YYC flight, so I would not employ the magazine hack nor would I turn on the overhead light. However 10am departure I would expect to be able to work and I d not anticipate the pax in front has a requirement to sleep.

I have experienced FA enquiries while employing the magazine hack. The key is to remain level headed non emotional throughout the conversation and offer valid reasons for my actions. Usually the other side has gone raving mad and their demeanour pushes the FAA over to my reason level headed approach. The other pax and I usually end up splitting the difference and they get 2 inch recline and I can continue to work.

There is one other argument up my sleeve, for 9 dollar buy on board purchase I can get the FA onto my side as it's now meal time. I also offer to buy the guy in front the first round as a compensation offer for their troubles.

I used to get offended at the mean comments such as d-bag, but now I actually search them out. See my comments above. For clarity, level headed calm approach almost always beats out foaming at the mouth mad.

See above, the moment you go raving mad and threaten to escalate the situation, the less chance you have of winning the day. So go ahead make my day. Watch for that little smile and twinkle in my eye when you raise the threat level with the FA right beside, for I have just won.
I never mentioned "getting raving mad". Simply saying that the seat "i" occupy , will be reclined how "i" see fit. I don't see an issue in using my seat as designed.
This being said I rarely recline my seat.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I do my own resets now.
They let you! So lucky! Last time I tried to do my own the SD wasn't too happy with me .
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Ability to choose preferred seats without status or fees
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by canadiancow
How do you do that?
Same way the AC staff does. Manually extend the footrest and reach way back in for the switch. Using your phone flashlight helps find it. I simply find it quicker to do it myself. On on HKG flight I reset 3 different seats (I feel bad seeing the female FA's down on their knees when they are wearing skirts).
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
They let you! So lucky! Last time I tried to do my own the SD wasn't too happy with me .
Interesting. I've only had the opposite experience...them being happy they don't have to do it.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Interesting. I've only had the opposite experience...them being happy they don't have to do it.
I probably just had bad luck and never tried to do it again after I got grife. But now that I know others allow it I'll do it myself again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.