Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Need help to build Multiple stopover by aeroplan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat,

Want to go to Paris and London this summer by Aeroplan redemption. (doesn't matter which airport). My hometown is YVR (must start from YVR). want to earn an extra stopover for New York (doesn't matter which airport) before heading back YVR or can I save it for next trip to NYC (need to visit every month). Please let me know your suggestion. how to build the best route. I am ok to add one or more European Cities if needed. Many thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Maybe it's just because it's a Friday night (and i've never booked an AE flight that wasn't as direct as possible), but under redemptions on AE, don't you just click on "multi city" redemption and put in NYC as a stopover? Or does this affect the points value and there's some other way, or am I just missing something? Doing my best here.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Dec 19, 2014 at 7:10 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:07 pm

YVR-(JFK/EWR/LGA)-CDG-YVR works just fine on the AP website. There's a non-stop from EWR to CDG on UA if you don't want to do the connecting in Europe thing (although if you're itching to try the A380, the SQ flight JFK-FRA shows up).

If you want the 2nd stopover that's allowed, then you will have to phone in, as the website doesn't allow that to be booked online.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Maybe it's just because it's a Friday night (and i've never booked an AE flight that wasn't as direct as possible), but under redemptions on AE, don't you just click on "multi city" redemption and put in NYC as a stopover? Or does this affect the points value and there's some other way, or am I just missing something? Doing my best here.
Same points. If you book overseas segments on certain carriers, the fuel surcharges can be almost eliminated though. And, as always, watch out for those AC 777-300's -- verify with the seatmap whether it is the normal configuration, or the 3-class "HD" configuration.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:14 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
You could try multi city on aeroplan site first, but often it doesn't show all availabilities and when it does, it would favor airlines with high scamcharges. Instead you can try to find available flights one segment at a time on aeroplan site or united site. If you want to save on Scamcharges, focus on the trans Atlantic segments first, so be familiar with no/low YQ airline routes, like anything by United, EWR/JFK/BOS/ORD-ZRH on LX, JFK/YUL-IST on TK, JFK-SIN on SQ, JFK/ORD/YYZ-WAW on LO etc. Once you find a few flights on the dates you want, then you can find the connecting flights on both ends. Although you do need to be aware the total mileage does have a limit, see this thread for more info:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...seudo-mpm.html

Once you find all your flights, you can call in and give out the flight one by one, it will cost you $30 in booking fee.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:00 pm

I am searching for 4 economy seats in LX flight form either EWR/JFK/BOX/ORD/YUL to ZRH in early August 2015, but there is none available, not even 1 seat.
Does anyone know if there will be seats open up in the later time? Thanks.

Last edited by lingecw; Dec 22, 2014 at 4:11 am
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz
YVR-(JFK/EWR/LGA)-CDG-YVR works just fine on the AP website. There's a non-stop from EWR to CDG on UA if you don't want to do the connecting in Europe thing (although if you're itching to try the A380, the SQ flight JFK-FRA shows up).

If you want the 2nd stopover that's allowed, then you will have to phone in, as the website doesn't allow that to be booked online.
sorry, i am still new here. need some more help.
can i do YVR-LON-PAR-NYC-YVR in one redemption? if not, i'll just pick either PAR or LON and try to figure out doing either city by train on my own.
What's the best route with fewest fuel surcharge? It is our ten year anniversary trip but was on a tight budget. so i need to get it well planned for June 2015. Many thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by lingecw
I am searching for 4 economy seats in LX flight form either EWR/JFK/BOX/ORD/YUL to ZRH in early August 2015, but there is none available, not even 1 seat.
Very, very doubtful. Trying to find 4 seats on any LX flight is difficult--4 to ZRH in prime travel time like August? Can't see that ever happening.

Last edited by mapleg; Dec 22, 2014 at 10:32 am
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by lingecw
You can do YUL-IST-ZRH on TK, if you can fly on a Sunday, Tuesday or Friday. Searching the beginning of August, I'm finding 4 economy seats pretty much every day they have a flight, and 4 business seats on most days as well.

Originally Posted by miffy0426
can i do YVR-LON-PAR-NYC-YVR in one redemption? if not, i'll just pick either PAR or LON and try to figure out doing either city by train on my own.
What's the best route with fewest fuel surcharge? It is our ten year anniversary trip but was on a tight budget. so i need to get it well planned for June 2015. Many thanks!
It should be doable, but the online engine doesn't allow you because of the open-jaw, so run the search with either London or Paris. Also, someone can chime in here, but shouldn't it also be possible to arrive in JFK and leave from EWR?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AC 25k, A3 *G, BA, Westjet Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
You likely can do it on one redemption, it will depend on the routing that you take. Since the redemption is limited to the number of actual miles that can be covered, the route selection will impact your choices.

If you are going in the order that you have listed, I think you will need to fly United out of the US in order to keep the actual miles down and it will lower your charge. You are probably looking at Chicago or NYC. The LON to PAR is a bit more difficult because you cannot fly direct, you will have to go through Frankfurt, Munich, Vienna, Geneva or Zurich on Lufthansa, Austrian or Swiss. This may eat up your actual miles. From Paris to NYC, you can fly United or Swiss to limit the fuel surcharge but the Swiss route may impact your actual mile limit again. Leaving NYC, you can leave out of any of the airports, it doesn't have to be the one that you land in.

I would do a roundtrip from YVR to PAR via LON and see what options come up, looking for a United flight to LON and seeing your options from LON to PAR. Note the flights that you like. Then I would do a roundtrip YVR-PAR-NYC-YVR to see the options available, you may have to change the NYC airport between JFK and EWR to see the different choices. Once I did that, I would call Aeroplan and walk them through the route you are looking at to see if it is doable feeding them the flight numbers.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by yyccdg
You likely can do it on one redemption, it will depend on the routing that you take. Since the redemption is limited to the number of actual miles that can be covered, the route selection will impact your choices.

If you are going in the order that you have listed, I think you will need to fly United out of the US in order to keep the actual miles down and it will lower your charge. You are probably looking at Chicago or NYC. The LON to PAR is a bit more difficult because you cannot fly direct, you will have to go through Frankfurt, Munich, Vienna, Geneva or Zurich on Lufthansa, Austrian or Swiss. This may eat up your actual miles. From Paris to NYC, you can fly United or Swiss to limit the fuel surcharge but the Swiss route may impact your actual mile limit again. Leaving NYC, you can leave out of any of the airports, it doesn't have to be the one that you land in.

I would do a roundtrip from YVR to PAR via LON and see what options come up, looking for a United flight to LON and seeing your options from LON to PAR. Note the flights that you like. Then I would do a roundtrip YVR-PAR-NYC-YVR to see the options available, you may have to change the NYC airport between JFK and EWR to see the different choices. Once I did that, I would call Aeroplan and walk them through the route you are looking at to see if it is doable feeding them the flight numbers.
If you can't make LON - PAR work due to MPM, you can always open jaw between London and Paris. This should be allowed as you are allowed two stop overs and your turn around or one stop over, one open jaw and your turn around. The Eurostar or a cheap intra-Europe flight would easily connect the cities.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 172pilot
If you can't make LON - PAR work due to MPM, you can always open jaw between London and Paris. This should be allowed as you are allowed two stop overs and your turn around or one stop over, one open jaw and your turn around. The Eurostar or a cheap intra-Europe flight would easily connect the cities.
When I am doing the search, do they need to be all under the same airline (such as United) or they can be partly Air Canada and Partly United?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:47 pm

When I am doing the search, do they need to be all under the same airline (such as United) or they can be partly Air Canada and Partly United?
You just need to be Star Alliance. 8 segments on 8 different airlines would be fine. It's just the different YQ between the airlines that you have to be concerned with (or not!) when you're booking.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Twickenham
You can do YUL-IST-ZRH on TK, if you can fly on a Sunday, Tuesday or Friday. Searching the beginning of August, I'm finding 4 economy seats pretty much every day they have a flight, and 4 business seats on most days as well.
Thanks so much.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Twickenham
Oh sorry, I forget to ask if it is still 60000/90000 for economy/business even via IST on TK. Thanks a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.