Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Unusual situation... What would you do ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unusual situation... What would you do ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Because in AC's views, that would cheapen the product (hence the eupgrade devaluations)
Charity ends at non-status. No give-aways for SE or E.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shawneve
Were there any empty J seats?

If passenger comfort was so important to the FA, why not move any elites in Y up to J creating even more 'sleeping rows' in Y?
Basic revenue protection, it might discourage purchases of revenue J/F fares.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by Calchas
Basic revenue protection, it might discourage purchases of revenue J/F fares.
Oh I know full well what the answer is.
Hard to communicate sarcastic rhetorical 'questions'

The key datapoint in the original post is WHO is doing the asking.
When an FA requests you give away some of the comfort that good fortune has thrown your way, most are less likely to do it for the FA (and therefore AC- the faceless corporation) because it begs the question what is the FA (and therefore AC) doing to help out with the resources they have at their disposal. ie open J seats.
If a fellow human being asks you directly, most would be more likely to grant the request because it makes you feel good to help another person.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
What flight routing where you on?

Where you by chance in the last row?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shawneve
Oh I know full well what the answer is.
Hard to communicate sarcastic rhetorical 'questions'
Try smilies.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:39 pm

This reminds me of a time when I was on a very long overnight Greyhound bus ride. I got on the bus when it was fairly empty. I grabbed the back seat with 3 seats together and as spread my 6’5 self out as if I was on a couch at home. As it got later the bus started to fill up. Every time the bus stopped I would sit up and sit straight up in the seat to the right where you can stretch your legs out into the aisle in the event that someone sat beside me, which I expected since of the 2 seats together had 2 people.

I soon learned that no one would sit in the 2 empty seats beside me, choosing the rare 1 empty seat beside another person instead. I figured that they assumed that there were 1-2 people beside me or they didn’t want to climb over me.

I’d like to think I was not being a d**k, as I was willing to let people sit beside me. Even though I didn’t go out of my way to let them know about the empty seats.

I agree with most here that the OP was being pretty selfish.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by dand99
Had something unusual happen to me for the first time last month.

My flight was about 1/2 full (taking about Y class), most rows (of 3) had only two people, some had three, twenty or so were commandeered by one person to lie down in.

My row was empty, so I moved to the middle seat (flight etiquette seems to be "grab the middle seat on an empty row as soon as you hear "boarding complete") and spread out.

About an hour into the flight, a stewardess comes over and asks me to move across, so someone from a full row next to me can share my row. I declined, saying I wanted to sleep (on the 3rd of 4 flights on a 36-hour trip). She was quite pushy, repeating "but you have have so much room and they're so cramped" several times - I still declined, got some sleep and invited one of them to move over about mid-way though the flight.

I was a touch surprised by the pushy stewardess - the three who were "so cramped" were young, healthy and not large at all - I couldn't see why this was so important. I cannot remember having seen FAs deal with "seat rearrangement" before. She could of course have moved one of them to a vacant exit row seat (with fixed armrests you can't stretch out) - but hey, now that's a revenue issue, can't do that....

Would be interested to get opinions on this. What would you have done ? Do you voluntarily give up your "sleeping" row if you see a full row nearby ?

D.
sorry man, you are a ......... and I wouldn't even ask the stewardess permission, I would have moved to one of the empty seats as you did not buy the 3 of them
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by The Lev
As soon as the seatbelt sign came off I would have lifted the armrests and fallen asleep across the three seats.
^^
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by doug68
sorry man, you are a ......... and I wouldn't even ask the stewardess permission, I would have moved to one of the empty seats as you did not buy the 3 of them
How would you know if he had bought them? I would have told you that I did and to piss off!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yul36
How would you know if he had bought them? I would have told you that I did and to piss off!
Alright Scrooge
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedAMS
Don't quite understand why the OP is so surprised by the FA's request. Of course having a whole row to yourself is nice but if you see 3 other people in a row (no matter how young, old, small or large), why not be kind and share the wealth? In the process you've just helped 3 people have a more comfortable flight.
First question, were there other empty row further back that they could have moved the pax to. Sorry all anybody paid for was a Y seat. If the person is in a row of 3 that's the breaks they got the seat they paid for. Having flown on similar multi leg long hauls, the empty 2 seats are much appreciated and to be defended. Thats why one should check the seat map until you board, that way you can grab a row if there is one available. Or if flying UA check the app, it continues to show the updated seat map after take-off.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Well this thread basically summarizes why the infrequent traveler generally hates the frequent flyer.

I choose to be a good neighbor and pay it forward, because I believe in being a decent human being, but that's just me.

Would I have been disappointed? Yes.
Would I have preferred not to give up the seat? Yes.
Would I have handled it much differently? Yes.

But... Thanks to OP and others like them, I will continue to have to say things like "we're not all bad" to Mrs. yyckerr's friends.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Well this thread basically summarizes why the infrequent traveler generally hates the frequent flyer.

I choose to be a good neighbor and pay it forward, because I believe in being a decent human being, but that's just me.

Would I have been disappointed? Yes.
Would I have preferred not to give up the seat? Yes.
Would I have handled it much differently? Yes.

But... Thanks to OP and others like them, I will continue to have to say things like "we're not all bad" to Mrs. yyckerr's friends.
Ditto. Although I did want to point out one reply to your post. The feeling is mutual. Frequent fliers hate infrequent fliers. And FF's have this belief that anyone who flies "less" than them is a pleeb. (generalizing here, but just look at the DYKWIA threads)
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by yul36
And I would have asked you to produce your boarding passes proving you had purchased all three seats. If you did, then those are rightfully yours and I would move on. No boarding passes - I would have plunked myself down and waited for you to complain to the FA!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Totally get the desire to spread out and maximize ones comfort and colonize a free row when space is available.

However.....

On occasion, it may be necessary to relocate a Customer due to an inoperative seat, reading light , or PTV. Know what I'm sayin' ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.