Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Unusual situation... What would you do ?

Unusual situation... What would you do ?

Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Wow...what happened to being nice...even if just for the holidays ?

I would have been happy to have a row to myself but if someone (passenger or FA) asked and I saw three people cramped together...I think the best option would be to make life easier for three others (and still decent for myself, although not as great as having a full row)...

Watch out for karma !
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
I'm with the OP on this. I would prefer to keep the row to myself rather than share with others. It was nice that he invited them half way through the flight to share the row.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
Unless you paid for all 3 seats, every other pax on the plane had just as much right as you did to sit in either of the 2 open seats next to you.

I would have had a "chat" with you if I were one of those stuck in a full row while you splayed across 3 seats, refusing to give up your entitlement.
^ Agree. It's Christmas, you had three seats and some folks only had one. Why not share?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dand99
My row was empty, so I moved to the middle seat (flight etiquette seems to be "grab the middle seat on an empty row as soon as you hear "boarding complete") and spread out.

About an hour into the flight, a stewardess comes over and asks me to move across, so someone from a full row next to me can share my row.
I would of personally asked if she could move that person to another row as I am on 3rd of 4 flight segment in 36 hours and there are other available rows. I definitely would not judge the other pax comfort level as I too have a back issue which no one can tell under normal circumstances.

If there was an issue with my suggestion of another row (even if it is something such as revenue based) I would of moved over (essentially move back to my assigned seat) and let the pax move to my row.

Also I have never heard of a "sleeping row" but there are lie flat seats up front.....and never heard of airplane etiquette of moving to middle seat right on an empty row as soon as doors are closed so can lay down to sleep.

Just what I would of done in this situation.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
Personally, I would simply have considered to be one of those "have to follow cabin crew" instructions. Seems that the mistake the flight attendant made, was being nice.

If she had simply asked you to return to your assigned seat, what would you've done? Refused?

I'd be sad to see the opportunity go, too, but no idea why the OP as a passenger feels he has more 'right' to this space than the other passengers? Just because he lucked out and the seats next to *him* were empty?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by dand99

I was a touch surprised by the pushy stewardess - the three who were "so cramped" were young, healthy and not large at all - I couldn't see why this was so important. I cannot remember having seen FAs deal with "seat rearrangement" before. She could of course have moved one of them to a vacant exit row seat (with fixed armrests you can't stretch out) - but hey, now that's a revenue issue, can't do that....

Would be interested to get opinions on this. What would you have done ? Do you voluntarily give up your "sleeping" row if you see a full row nearby ?

D.
If I'm stuck in a middle seat, and you're stretched out across an entire row, and you think I'm inappropriate to ask that we both get an aisle-with-empty middle, I'm prepared to call you a selfish jerk with some confidence.

More to the point, it's not "your" sleeping row. FA was entirely within her rights to kick your self-centered keister back to the seat you paid for.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by drvannostren
As a CANADIAN myself, it's born in to me to give up that space, even if I don't want to.
Thats because Canadians are push overs and Canada as a whole is basically just Americas hat.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:49 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Many poor an unbelievably astonishing views on this topic. I guess we each can decide who is in the wrong.

But hey , It's holiday season , get the H-LL out of my row

Op-
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I think if you have paid for one seat then you are entitled to one seat. Yes it is nice to have a row to yourself to sleep, but you certainly aren't entitled to one. If it was me and the plane was that empty and the FA asked me to move over because there were three people in a row and wanted to spread things out a bit for us all to be comfortable, I would have happily moved over and would have been greatful that there was an empty seat besides me.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Selfish. If I were on the flight you'd have had a neighbour sitting next to you :-)
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm fine with being "America's hat"...if that means people are generally nice.

I'm always lookin out for #1 first, but honestly how anyone can side with the OP on this one is beyond me. If there's multiple other rows with just 1 person, then I agree with a previous poster who said "I'm actually at the end of a super long journey, if it's ok do you mind asking someone else?"

There's just no reason for being like this other than strictly selfishness.

Put yourself in the opposite situation, you're the unlucky sob that got the middle seat between 2 other people. Don't even try to tell me that you're not immediately looking for a better seat. So next time the FA or another passenger tells you F off this is my "sleeping row" I hope you don't post "odd situation, what would you do?" it should be "guess I learned a lesson".
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:36 pm

What would I do? Do exactly what a decent educated human being would do, move to the windows seat and allow the other paxs to spread out. And yes, I would do it without the FA asking. I have given up my "preferred aisle seats" for families, elderlies and the handicapped more than once without FA ever asking and I will continue to do it, I am human.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: United
Don't quite understand why the OP is so surprised by the FA's request. Of course having a whole row to yourself is nice but if you see 3 other people in a row (no matter how young, old, small or large), why not be kind and share the wealth? In the process you've just helped 3 people have a more comfortable flight.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Were there any empty J seats?

If passenger comfort was so important to the FA, why not move any elites in Y up to J creating even more 'sleeping rows' in Y?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by shawneve
Were there any empty J seats?

If passenger comfort was so important to the FA, why not move any elites in Y up to J creating even more 'sleeping rows' in Y?
Because in AC's views, that would cheapen the product (hence the eupgrade devaluations)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.