• Dorian
    • Far Siren
    • travel_geek
    • 172pilot
    • lockheedelectra
    • BackSlash3
    • chaptwo
    • CanRulez
    • rehoult - in 110 (15:59) / out 141 (22:55)
    • znke252
    • GHT

Tentative
    • jaysona (I"ll be coming back from a yul-yxy MR, won't be there until after 20:30)
    • ag2000 (about 10-20 % chance...)
    • canopus27
    • KLM671 (will be there unless crew scheduling calls)

Regrets
    • maradori
    • allbrosca - family function that day
    • Geoflying - already have 2 other commitments that day
    • RCyyz - won't be able to join. Have fun everyone!
    Print Wikipost

Holiday YYZ Do?

Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:17 pm
    Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
    Originally Posted by rankourabu
    22nd around YYZ would work.

A Weekday downtown is a pain in the ....
    Just to be clear, are you saying that Yonge and Sheppard is downtown or is that more doable?
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:57 pm

+1 for the Airport Strip / YYZ general area. At the end of the workday there are many more options to get to that area avoiding the worst of the traffic than downtown or even Yonge and "you-name-it".
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:06 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
    Originally Posted by yyzgigi
    Just to be clear, are you saying that Yonge and Sheppard is downtown or is that more doable?
    Its just as bad on a weekday afternoon (if not worse?). Sunday no problem, can get anywhere.

Milestones, MLL or even good ol' Arizona by YYZ on Monday, and I m there.
    We even had one at Moxies near YYZ previously, but that was during patio season.
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:33 pm
    A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
    Not that I'm advocating for downtown, but is it really going to be that bad on Christmas week? Won't most people be not working?
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:41 pm
    Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
    Originally Posted by canadiancow
    Not that I'm advocating for downtown, but is it really going to be that bad on Christmas week? Won't most people be not working?
    Construction. Gardiner is basically dead. The only time that it doesn't take hours to get in is like 3am on a Sunday
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
    Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
    Construction. Gardiner is basically dead. The only time that it doesn't take hours to get in is like 3am on a Sunday
    Both Gardiner and Lakehsore have horrendous construction delays with lane reductions. Anywhere near YYZ would be nice. Accesible by highway and for those flying in. Plus its closer to home for me
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
    Both Gardiner and Lakehsore have horrendous construction delays with lane reductions. Anywhere near YYZ would be nice. Accesible by highway and for those flying in. Plus its closer to home for me
    Ah that explains it.

I'm glad I don't need to go downtown at all while I'm there.
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:56 pm
    Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
    That's why I was proposing Yonge St corridor to avoid the Gardiner, but apparently that's not better than downtown. I won't have a car on Monday so would prefer not to pick somewhere that is effectively inaccessible to me. I don't really think that the 401 should be that bad on the holiday week, but know Yonge can be a little congested.

For the YYZ area or nowhere else crowd is there any compromise?

Would Gabby's Grill and Tap on Bloor near Royal York be better or worse? It is about 25 minutes from YYZ on the TTC and won't require any travel on the Gardiner. For those on the West End I'm open to other locations on Bloor West if that's better than Yonge Corridor. Of course it does mean that you're subjecting everyone not on transit from the east-end to go through the worst of the Gardiner mess through rush hour.
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
    That's why I was proposing Yonge St corridor to avoid the Gardiner, but apparently that's not better than downtown. I won't have a car on Monday so would prefer not to pick somewhere that is effectively inaccessible to me. I don't really think that the 401 should be that bad on the holiday week, but know Yonge can be a little congested.

Would Gabby's Grill and Tap on Bloor near Royal York be better or worse? It is about 25 minutes from YYZ on the TTC and won't require any travel on the Gardiner. For those on the West End I'm open to other locations on Bloor West if that's better than Yonge Corridor. Of course it does mean that you're subjecting everyone not on transit from the east-end to go through the worst of the Gardiner mess through rush hour.
    FF live in the east end ?
    I am flexible, just offering preferences. Pick something along the 427 close to Bloor/Queensway and you should be fine for both the YYZ crowd and the driving/TTC crowd.
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:21 pm
    Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

Yikes. I live on the West End so the Royal York would be a no go for me (i'd have to take the Gardiner), but don't let me hold the crowd up
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:38 pm

FF live in the east end ?
    I am flexible, just offering preferences. Pick something along the 427 close to Bloor/Queensway and you should be fine for both the YYZ crowd and the driving/TTC crowd.
    I can't ask for anything closer than Bloor/427, but I'll go anywhere. There are options by Sherway that are accessible by every major highway (east end could take 401 to 427 to avoid the Gardiner), so it's also possible. But at that point, YYZ area is probably more convenient.

Yikes. I live on the West End so the Royal York would be a no go for me (i'd have to take the Gardiner), but don't let me hold the crowd up
    I think it was "Bloor and Royal York", not "The Royal York". Very different locations
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:41 pm
    Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow

I think it was "Bloor and Royal York", not "The Royal York". Very different locations
    Oops. I read that too quick. Thanks for the headsup PS, that's west enough from the GTA that i'd be glad to make it there, provided I have no last minute holiday stuff!

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Dec 14, 2014 at 7:19 pm
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: *G
    Subway access very much preferred!
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:16 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
    If it's going to be in the Sheppard/Yong area, I could pick up three or four people in the YYZ area on my way there.
    Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:29 pm
    Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
    Suggestion

Maybe someone can either do a summary (paging google docs !!!!!) or up top like I'm in the MLL thread

Show 2 dates and 2 locations and you can put your name under the date location that best works. If it's enough for 2 diff nights, then everyone can decide if they can make one or both. It makes it easier - kind of like you guys did for the micro-dos. just a suggestion

Dec 21 (or 22) at/near YYZ (ef. Milestone's or other)

Dec 21 (or 22) at/near Yonge-Sheppard

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.