Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Whats 'Canadian' about Air Canada ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.

When you get on an Air Canada plane from an Int'l destination, what comes to mind as uniquely Canadian about the experience ?

(other than the maple leaf, which is recognised as a Canadian symbol. Some airlines like MH, TK, SQ etc. have unique foods like satay, lokum or uniforms like the Kebaya worn by SQ/MH. PK has tribal motifs on some of their planes from their tribal area, and used to give away local brass handicraft to first class pax)

Have AC planes ever had stuff like Haida or other First Nations art on their planes ? or used Hoselton salt/paper shakers
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by karachi
When you get on an Air Canada plane from an Int'l destination, what comes to mind as uniquely Canadian about the experience ?

(other than the maple leaf, which is recognised as a Canadian symbol. Some airlines like MH, TK, SQ etc. have unique foods like satay, lokum or uniforms like the Kebaya worn by SQ/MH. PK has tribal motifs on some of their planes from their tribal area, and used to give away local brass handicraft to first class pax)

Have AC planes ever had stuff like Haida or other First Nations art on their planes ? or used Hoselton salt/paper shakers
Service in French or English - le choix est à vous. Bloody Caesars too.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by karachi

Have you seen the "supposed" new safety videos?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: A3 Silver
It's subsidized by the Canadian taxpayers? It gouges us on service just like the Canadian telecomms.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by gesmith10
... Bloody Caesars too.
That's the only thing I can think of!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AC SE
I think this is a missed opportunity for AC to differentiate themselves and develop a better brand image, particularly in International J:
- items from Canadian suppliers in amenity kits
- more unique menu items (example ideas - desserts featuring local berries like blueberries, bakeapples (cloudberries), Saskatoon berries; wild game/fish dishes like sockeye salmon or bison, traditional foods like bannock, Nanaimo bars in MLL's, fiddleheads as a side dish in season)
- highlight the origins of the dishes or unique facts in the printed menus
- more Canadian wines in J

Seems like they have done a few things (real maple syrup in the MLL), but I think this is a big opportunity to help elevate the brand image.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
AC seems to specialize in offering the worst of independent Canadian cinema that no one outside of Toronto is interested in. None of Quebec's edgy or innovative products are shown, nor are some of the brilliant western creations. Instead, AC apparently offers what some Toronto centric self important twit thinks is good.

I have long held the opinion that as a gesture to offering something uniquely Canadian, AC visits the discount bins of the local liquor commissions seeking out the best value in clearance of Canadian products. Products such as Lake Erie Chardonnay have graced the J class beverage menu. AC has served filtered tap water in a bottle. Nothing goes as well with a dried out overcooked greasy, high sodium meal than relabeled tap water. (Both Aquafina and Dasani are sourced from municipal water systems.)

Nothing says Canada then arrival in YYZ or YUL and an experience with baggage delivery. It shows the world that yes Canada has a lot in common with the rest of the world, especially the developing world. It also shows what a tolerant lot Canadians are, as the atrocious incompetence of the baggage service in both YUL and YYZ have gone on for ages and pax just politely accept it, while Ac management says, it's someone else's fault. (Meanwhile BR and CX are able to deliver bags in YYZ in a fraction of the time it takes AC to do so.)

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Nov 23, 2014 at 12:05 pm
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by gcashin

Seriously? The Canadian wines that are palatable are far too expensive for the AC budget. That leaves what the majority of wine consumers consider to be as vile flavoured sewage water. The less Canadian wine served, the better. I don't pretend to have a refined palate, but the Canadian wine served on board has been disgusting. If one isn't going to do it right, then don't bother. Yes, I know there are a few decent Canadian wines, but the reality is that the majority of Canadian product is garbage. Canada does not have the climate to grow consistently good grapes.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
AC seems to specialize in offering the worst of independent Canadian cinema that no one outside of Toronto is interested in. None of Quebec's edgy or innovative products are shown, nor are some of the brilliant western creations. Instead, AC apparently offers what some Toronto centric self important twit thinks is good.

I have long held the opinion that as a gesture to offering something uniquely Canadian, AC visits the discount bins of the local liquor commissions seeking out the best value in clearance of Canadian products. Products such as Lake Erie Chardonnay have graced the J class beverage menu. AC has served filtered tap water in a bottle. Nothing goes as well with a dried out overcooked greasy, high sodium meal than relabeled tap water. (Both Aquafina and Dasani are sourced from municipal water systems.)

Nothing says Canada then arrival in YYZ or YUL and an experience with baggage delivery. It shows the world that yes Canada has a lot in common with the rest of the world, especially the developing world. It also shows what a tolerant lot Canadians are, as the atrocious incompetence of the baggage service in both YUL and YYZ have gone on for ages and pax just politely accept it, while Ac management says, it's someone else's fault. (Meanwhile BR and CX are able to deliver bags in YYZ in a fraction of the time it takes AC to do so.)
Who checks in bags?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by gcashin
I think this is a missed opportunity for AC to differentiate themselves and develop a better brand image, particularly in International J:
- items from Canadian suppliers in amenity kits
- more unique menu items (example ideas - desserts featuring local berries like blueberries, bakeapples (cloudberries), Saskatoon berries; wild game/fish dishes like sockeye salmon or bison, traditional foods like bannock, Nanaimo bars in MLL's, fiddleheads as a side dish in season)
- highlight the origins of the dishes or unique facts in the printed menus

Seems like they have done a few things (real maple syrup in the MLL), but I think this is a big opportunity to help elevate the brand image.
Price point and quantity are always an issue. Over many years, I've come to realize that Canadians (generally speaking) have very mainstream tastes.
I think back over the years to some of the "Canadian" items that have been offered, and usually with muted success and have been deemed too funky:

>Smoked Manitoba Duck Breast with fig compote (Plated Appetizer love it/hate it)
>Roast Guinea Fowl (The Word Fowl scared many)
>Bison was offered in F/C way back ("too gamey")
>Newfoundland Screech & Creme de Menthe (only appealed to their respective markets)
>Partnership with Cave Springs Winery (lukewarm with Canadians loved by Europeans)
>Cafe Chimo (coffee, maple liqueur, whipped cream in F/C - "too sweet")

Current amenity kit & 787 lav amenities provided by B.C based "Escents"

Current Beef option International is highlighted as Alberta Beef.

I would love to see ice wine added, but obviously a costly addition
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:48 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Squeaky Cheese!!!!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
...I would love to see ice wine added, but obviously a costly addition
I was also going to suggest ice wine would be a good addition, but you beat me to it.
I guess there's no chance it would happen given AC's budget for J food & drink offering?
It's kind of sad to see Canadian ice wine being offered on foreign carrier(s) but not on actual "Canadian" carrier.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I'm going to assume that besides "budget", items served onboard (say J) and in the MLLs are there because the price offered AC was lower than other options.

That said
* Wine - there are excellent B.C. wines
* Chocolates - why is Lindt offered when Canada has the likes of Rogers' of Victoria and other great regional brands
* Cheeses - Canada has some excellent products. It would be great if those were offered. I have no idea where the cheeses are from
* Beef (for eg.) The menu says Alberta Beef, but how can you tell. Also, if not cooked properly, it then leaves a negative impression of the product

I understand all of the limitations that may not allow some of these things, but unless the current suppliers are giving away the products at no cost to AC, I would think that our flag carrier should be a firm supporter and provider of Canadian products, if for no other reason than to showcase this to the large numbers of international and U.S. travelers who now fly AC.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Price point and quantity are always an issue. Over many years, I've come to realize that Canadians (generally speaking) have very mainstream tastes.
I think back over the years to some of the "Canadian" items that have been offered, and usually with muted success and have been deemed too funky:

>Smoked Manitoba Duck Breast with fig compote (Plated Appetizer love it/hate it)
>Roast Guinea Fowl (The Word Fowl scared many)
>Bison was offered in F/C way back ("too gamey")
>Newfoundland Screech & Creme de Menthe (only appealed to their respective markets)
>Partnership with Cave Springs Winery (lukewarm with Canadians loved by Europeans)
>Cafe Chimo (coffee, maple liqueur, whipped cream in F/C - "too sweet")

Current amenity kit & 787 lav amenities provided by B.C based "Escents"

Current Beef option International is highlighted as Alberta Beef.

I would love to see ice wine added, but obviously a costly addition
Thanks for the context. I was familiar with the Alberta Beef, but hadn't seen many other dishes.

Agreed that icewine would be a great addition if it could be worked into the catering budget for Intl J.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:27 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Couldn't one argue that by NOT being overly demonstrative, and not forcefully pushing 'Canadiana*' onto its passengers, Air Canada is, in essence, being quintessentially Canadian?

* whatever that may be since we seem to have trouble qualifying it in the first place...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.