Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 is now my favourite plane!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MM, MP, onepass, Fairmont Platinum, Millennium Hotels Elite
Just a note after a recent flight (my first) on AC 787. Plane is indeed very nice overall, and bus class seat is a huge improvement on classic pods, where I always seemed to find hard lumpy bits underneath me as I tried to sleep. Seat is much more of a continuous surface which is much more comfortable.

Two annoying design flaws, however. I was at very front, with 3 windows to myself, which was very nice. Problem is that there is basically no overhead storage for the first row. Makes no sense at all - first bin is small and for crew gear, and second bin is for second row. Second issue is that the washrooms are very, VERY small. I like to change into pj's on long flights and these 787 washrooms are about the size of CRJ narrowbody commuter jet washrooms. Not what I expected on the 787. 777 washrooms by contrast are much more spacious. Other than that, I like the windows, where the dark setting really makes it feel like flying at night - no more of the bright sun from the loose-fitting shades on the older windows.

Last edited by newguy62; Nov 24, 2014 at 9:00 pm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by newguy62
Just a note after a recent flight (my first) on AC 787. Plane is indeed very nice overall, and bus class seat is a huge improvement on classic pods, where I always seemed to have hard lumpy bits underneath me as I tried to sleep.

Two annoying design flaws, however. I was at very front, with 3 windows to myself, which was very nice. Problem is that there is basically no overhead storage for the first row. Makes no sens at all - first bin is small and for crew gear, and second bin is for second row. Second issue is that the washrooms are very, VERY small. I like to change into pj's on long flights and these 787 washrooms are about the size of CR700 narrowbody commuter jet washrooms. Not what I expected on the 787. 777 washrooms by contrast are much more spacious. Other than that, I like the windows, where the dark setting really makes it feel like flying at night - no more of the bright sun from the loose-fitting shades on the older windows.
The bathrooms aren't as small as a CRJ 700....
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by newguy62
Just a note after a recent flight (my first) on AC 787. Plane is indeed very nice overall, and bus class seat is a huge improvement on classic pods, where I always seemed to find hard lumpy bits underneath me as I tried to sleep. Seat is much more of a continuous surface which is much more comfortable.

Two annoying design flaws, however. I was at very front, with 3 windows to myself, which was very nice. Problem is that there is basically no overhead storage for the first row. Makes no sense at all - first bin is small and for crew gear, and second bin is for second row. Second issue is that the washrooms are very, VERY small. I like to change into pj's on long flights and these 787 washrooms are about the size of CRJ narrowbody commuter jet washrooms. Not what I expected on the 787. 777 washrooms by contrast are much more spacious. Other than that, I like the windows, where the dark setting really makes it feel like flying at night - no more of the bright sun from the loose-fitting shades on the older windows.
Good to know. I always found the classic pods to be lumpy to lie on with all the deep seams as well. Why couldn't they just leave the middle bins. I wonder if its a structural or weight thing or just for aesthetics. Do non AC 787's J Class's have centre storage? Still waiting for someone to comment whether or not the screen in J tilts or if its fixed. Fixed sucks for lying down.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Chowtime
Do non AC 787's J Class's have centre storage?
BA's do: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129643199@N03/
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: AC 75K
Good to know. I always found the classic pods to be lumpy to lie on with all the deep seams as well. Why couldn't they just leave the middle bins. I wonder if its a structural or weight thing or just for aesthetics. Do non AC 787's J Class's have centre storage? Still waiting for someone to comment whether or not the screen in J tilts or if its fixed. Fixed sucks for lying down.
The 787s don't have centre OH bins due to the overhead crew rest above.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The 787s don't have centre OH bins due to the overhead crew rest above.
I 'think' OP meant past that, as past about row 2 there are just no bins in J on the 787.

I actually prefer it! It really opens up the cabin a lot!

Also, AC doesn't need the bins, so they may as well do without them. If everyone in J brought on a rollaboard that's still only 5 bins, plus let's say 2 more bins for other smaller items, makes the middle ones unnecessary unless everyone in J is bringing on more than they are allowed.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: 100K
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU

PS: Don't believe in the "higher cabin pressure cures jet lag" bull crap. I was just as jet lagged after the 788 flights as after any other TATL flight. Jet lag isn't, after all, caused by low pressure aboard.
same here. when I first flew on the dreamliner back in 2012 I think my expectations were a bit too high... neither the reduced noise or cabin pressure changes made much of a difference to the flight experience...especially the jet lag. the windows were a nice change though.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rumblefox
same here. when I first flew on the dreamliner back in 2012 I think my expectations were a bit too high... neither the reduced noise or cabin pressure changes made much of a difference to the flight experience...especially the jet lag. the windows were a nice change though.
How about the whole dehydration thing? Did you find yourself a little less thirsty (and thus able to drink more cocktails, yes, that's my main concern)?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
How about the whole dehydration thing? Did you find yourself a little less thirsty (and thus able to drink more cocktails, yes, that's my main concern)?
honestly... i've flown BA and LO 787's a few times and didnt noticed any difference at all with the humidity.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
safety video

Having just flown ANZ in PE and loved the entire ANZ experience, I think the OP should be challenged to create a safety video to beat this....
http://www.airnewzealand.ca/hobbit-2014
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: AC S100K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Flew AC0103 from YYZ to YVR on October 30, Seat 1D. New pods are basically what CX and BR have been using on their 777s for a while now, with the addition of a bigger LCD screen and touchscreens to control everything.

Biggest flaw - the centre seats do not have overhead storage in J. Which means VERY cramped storage for carry-on baggage. Have no idea if this is also the case in PY / Y, but unacceptable in J.

Reduced noise is great, but makes those galley conversations more clearly audible, which is not necessarily a good thing when you want to sleep...
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The thing I love the most about the 788 suites is the table. For me, it is very ergonomic compared to the classic reverse herringbone tables. I am actually very productive work-wise on the 788. Love how the pneumatic seat/mattress "flows" smoothly when adjusting the controls. One of the very few redeeming qualities of the AC hard product.

Now they just need to fix the soft product... but that's an entirely different thread in itself...
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The screen doesn't tilt from what I could tell. However I reclined the seat fully and could still watch the TV clearly.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:45 am

MrsCA and I have an upcoming flight to LHR in J on 787. Normally we would take the middle seats in J and lower the divider between us. On the 787 is it hard to carry on a conversation and pass magazines etc.between the middle seats since apparently the divider can't be lowered? Should we consider instead G,K seats facing each other like the 763?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrCA
MrsCA and I have an upcoming flight to LHR in J on 787. Normally we would take the middle seats in J and lower the divider between us. On the 787 is it hard to carry on a conversation and pass magazines etc.between the middle seats since apparently the divider can't be lowered? Should we consider instead G,K seats facing each other like the 763?
They don't face each other. They face away from the aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.