Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bartender in MLL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
And how are you supposed to tell the bartender to pour the rum into the can of Coke so you can take it with you

Nicely?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Nicely?
I think that was exactly the problem, abuse of the booze. I've seen people fill water bottles with gin. It doesn't take many of those to deplete the gin stock
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Doozy
I think that was exactly the problem, abuse of the booze. I've seen people fill water bottles with gin. It doesn't take many of those to deplete the gin stock

I must be the only person who doesn't leave a MLL with food and booze (like the guy in shorts who was filling up a duffle bag a few months back.) I have enough to carry.

But I am waiting to see if someone walks off with some soup or pasta. That would be worthy of uploading to "passenger shaming"
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
This is most probably why they have locked up the Crown Royal in the YEG lounge. You have to ask one of the attendants to get it from a locked cupboard and pour you a shot. It is always a few that ruin it for the many
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:06 pm

It sounds like a number of people here have alcohol problems.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Not here, but the YMM crowd, that's been parked in dry camps for months at a time, and accumulate status, definitely.

Maybe if they Rouged the YMM flights and tinkered with the pricing to make taking a connection to the east much more costly, a good chunk of the problems would be resolved.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cooleddie
For those who are interested this is what the bar looks like at Calgary

The cappucino machine is a real machine similar to those found in Starbucks. You will get proper cappucino here.

I like the bar, as long as they don't start following UA's way and start charging etc.
The coffee machine is not " similar" as Starbucks is the only company that uses the Versimo 901 produced and programmed for SBUX by Thermoplan. The SBUX machine is semi full auto with only the steaming of milk not happening automatically. If the machine pumps out a shot and froths and layers the milk it is a full automatic ! As to how proper your cappuccinos will be has more to do with the water filtering system, quality of the coffee beans , and dairy products! If they don't service and clean the machine with regularity the coffee quality will degraded ! And a real , proper cappuccino would use a macine where one has to dose a porta filter, and steam and froth milk manually! But I digress !
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Although few things surprise me anymore, I find it appalling that people would fill up a water bottle with gin. Unreal.

I never drink in the lounge but I thought I saw 'pour control spouts' in the MLLs.

Also, this thread reminds me of a snow-delay in YVR many years ago and the CP lounge was packed to the rafters and a middle-ages lady was kicked out after she placed a bottle of cab on the floor by her chair after taking it from the counters. She was too lazy to get up for another pour of the Wolf Blass I think it was. Shameful behaviour.

IMHO, there nothing in the MLLs worth taking on the flight anyways.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
As long as the alcohol remains free, it's not a problem
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the MLL and PP like any other establishment which serves alcohol subject to the Canadian Liquour Laws?? Basic 'Responsible Service of Alcohol' clearly states that an 'establishment' is and can be held liable for their patrons so if something untoward were to happen as a result of excessive alcohol consumption they (MLL or PP) would/could be held liable.

I think there's less concern overall with the spillage and wasting of liquor given the wholesale prices they're no doubt purchasing at, although I wouldn't rule it out as part of the reason.

Just my 2 cents from someone who might partake in a single drink from time to time in the MLL
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by 24left
I must be the only person who doesn't leave a MLL with food and booze (like the guy in shorts who was filling up a duffle bag a few months back.)
The kicker is the losers who pull this pathetic nonsense will be the first and loudest to tell anyone around they're valuable Elite AC customers.

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I can 2nd what a lot of people have said here about wasted drinks and excessive (seriously excessive) in the YYC MLL.
I am hoping this is just being implemented in MLL's where there is clearly abuse.
I bet you're right. Been through YYC twice in the last 18 months. Both times there was a feeling of latent hostility in that place - drunk tough guy glares everywhere. One dullard started chewing out AC agent when she didn't let him board a flight. He finally shut his drunk face long enough for her to tell him he was trying to board the WRONG flight. Police were called over. Guy could barely walk yet they led him to his correct flight - a redeye to YYZ.
Cannot imagine what the bars are like in Cowtown ... Everyone practicing their tough guy stares and shining their classiest pair of sh!tkickers before they squeeze into their newest Wranglers, pack their chew and head to the local bar.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I quit every morning. Who are you to judge?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
The kicker is the losers who pull this pathetic nonsense will be the first and loudest to tell anyone around they're valuable Elite AC customers.

I bet you're right. Been through YYC twice in the last 18 months. Both times there was a feeling of latent hostility in that place - drunk tough guy glares everywhere. One dullard started chewing out AC agent when she didn't let him board a flight. He finally shut his drunk face long enough for her to tell him he was trying to board the WRONG flight. Police were called over. Guy could barely walk yet they led him to his correct flight - a redeye to YYZ.
Cannot imagine what the bars are like in Cowtown ... Everyone practicing their tough guy stares and shining their classiest pair of sh!tkickers before they squeeze into their newest Wranglers, pack their chew and head to the local bar.
Likely folks from Ontario and East Coast heading our way back back east... Connecting through from up north. Get off your high horse. Twice in a year and a half makes you an expert.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I have to wonder just how much wastage there is for this to be justifiable? To staff this will take four or five full time employees at a fully burdened cost of at least $60k each. So call it $300k per year. At a wholesale price of $25/bottle, that is 12,000 bottles of booze each year that AC views as excessive or slippage or wasted (on passengers) or whatever. Which may only be 33 per day, but it still seems like a lot. Even having a bartender isn't going to stop somebody from ordering a drink and not actually consuming it.

My bet: prepare to start paying for drinks. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow or 2015. But by 2016 for sure.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ridefar
I have to wonder just how much wastage there is for this to be justifiable? To staff this will take four or five full time employees at a fully burdened cost of at least $60k each. So call it $300k per year. At a wholesale price of $25/bottle, that is 12,000 bottles of booze each year that AC views as excessive or slippage or wasted (on passengers) or whatever. Which may only be 33 per day, but it still seems like a lot. Even having a bartender isn't going to stop somebody from ordering a drink and not actually consuming it.

My bet: prepare to start paying for drinks. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow or 2015. But by 2016 for sure.
I totally agree from the cost benefit perspective. However, I don't think that it'll cost 60K though, I mean FA's don't make that much. I'd probably clock it at close to minimum wage, maybe slightly above since we've heard AC will not allow them to collect tips (in which case, why not work at a bar). But yes, the cost to have a bartender to save peanuts doesn't make sense. Perhaps maybe in truth AC does want to elevate the customer experience and believes a bartender is the way to go. (even though I disagree).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.