Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lllahim

1. The family may not be unwilling. They may not have the funds.
They can afford tickets but not the relatively minor cost for seat assignment? Come on.

Anyway, if indeeed they are that tight, then if they want to take a chance and risk not being seated together, they should live with the outcome rather than blame everyone else.

2. What is wrong with the family wishing to sit together. No, not buying seats for "together" does not equate to "willing".
Nothing wrong, as long as they recognize that it may not happen in which case they won't be in a position to complain. however if they don't pay for seat assignments, and still feel entitled to sit together, no sympathy here.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Stranger
They can afford tickets but not the relatively minor cost for seat assignment? Come on.

Anyway, if indeeed they are that tight, then if they want to take a chance and risk not being seated together, they should live with the outcome rather than blame everyone else.

Nothing wrong, as long as they recognize that it may not happen in which case they won't be in a position to complain. however if they don't pay for seat assignments, and still feel entitled to sit together, no sympathy here.
Totally agreed. I have no sympathies for people who expect something without paying for it. If you want to chance it, go ahead, but if you don't get what you want, don't complain/whine or make a pouty face. This is the real world.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Totally agreed. I have no sympathies for people who expect something without paying for it. If you want to chance it, go ahead, but if you don't get what you want, don't complain/whine or make a pouty face. This is the real world.
I completely agree.

But just for the sake of discussion, isn't that what AC told their FFs after the last enhancements?

If you want to fly with all the perks and business seats, then just buy J. If you want to chance it, go ahead, but you get what you paid for?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
I have the solution for long-standing problem families with small children who need (or perceive the need) to sit together, and all the hassles that occur when they do not sit together.

Offer a "Family Convenience Package" when a passenger 5 or under is listed in the travelling party. Either make the package free or make it a bargain compared to seat selection for the whole party.

This package offers seat selection in the last X rows of the aircraft for the entire party and a "pre-boarding" option. This is all indicated on their boarding pass.

The pre-boarding announcement is then changed to "We are now boarding passengers holding Family Convenience boarding passes."

The people who need more time will be settling out of the way of other priority passengers likely near the front of the plane. At deboarding time they don't clog the aisle. They have assigned seats so there is less of a need for begging and pleading for seat switching.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zorn
I have the solution for long-standing problem families with small children who need (or perceive the need) to sit together, and all the hassles that occur when they do not sit together.

Offer a "Family Convenience Package" when a passenger 5 or under is listed in the travelling party. Either make the package free or make it a bargain compared to seat selection for the whole party.

This package offers seat selection in the last X rows of the aircraft for the entire party and a "pre-boarding" option. This is all indicated on their boarding pass.

The pre-boarding announcement is then changed to "We are now boarding passengers holding Family Convenience boarding passes."

The people who need more time will be settling out of the way of other priority passengers likely near the front of the plane. At deboarding time they don't clog the aisle. They have assigned seats so there is less of a need for begging and pleading for seat switching.
And more ancillary fees for AC. Win-win
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: AC SEMM
And more ancillary fees for AC. Win-win
And they could also point out that in the event of the plane crashing passengers in the rear of the aircraft are more likely to survive than those in the front
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by zorn

Actually brilliant. ^

See next post for anecdote.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I once again missed out on an upgrade as an SE on an M fare last night, so I assure you, there are many situations where the entire J cabin is paid.
May I ask (and may you respond)... from where to where?

If this was not on a fin with PE, then a SE on a Y/B fare would trump you as well... so not necessarily entire cabin paid J...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Boarding zones and seat assignments

Further to zorn's excellent idea "The Family Convenience Package", I would add the following from personal experience.

Twice, I opted to give up my paid seat to a mom with an infant. I found a seat in the last row and it was fine.

On the third occasion where a family unit was seated separately, the mother was seriously annoyed that this happened and that none of the "preferred" pax would volunteer to move. Part of the family unit got pref seats assigned at the gate.

The FA gently explained to her that the Pref's paid extra for their seats and were not obliged to give them up.

Needless to say, the "discussion" continued, boarding was delayed while they were in the aisle. The FA suggested everyone take their seats and she would try to see if anyone would move.

Musical seats ensued as the FA looked for enough volunteers to get the family members seated closer together.

IMHO, while these incidents might be rare, they will continue as long as some pax do not want to pay for their seat assignments and then get upset when they board.

Zorn's idea would be great if executed properly and most importantly, if a family actually buys it. How do you sell this to those who won't pay for seats with their Tango tickets?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
They should have automated BP scanning gates like they do at FRA, but the only difference here is that for each designated line, there are two doors:

1. A door that opens in front of you if you are in the correct line, and
2. A door that opens below you if you are not in the correct line.
They have these at IAH as well, but I'm not sure if they are in the business of denying anyone not in the right group. I saw UA using them for GIG and GRU flights at the same time (opposite sides of the hallway) and thought it was very cool, but I only saw 1 giant line that would then split through the 5 gates, it didn't seem very well organized, I did however see 1 person get a big red X and have to get manually checked, not sure if that was passport or something up with the BP but I don't think he was just out of his group.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: FT
what an absurd joke for those that suggest J after SE.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: *G
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/141117.html

"Zones 3, 4 and 5: General boarding for Economy Class customers"

"Naturally, customers who requested wheelchair assistance will still be invited to board first, and those travelling with children under the age of 6 can continue to board in advance of general boarding."

"Customers who have been assigned zone 1 or 2 may continue to use dedicated lanes to board at any time once general boarding has started."
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mkjr
what an absurd joke for those that suggest J after SE.
Why?

Is someone who flies 67,000 miles in J not worth more than someone who flies 10,000 miles in J?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Why?

Is someone who flies 67,000 miles in J not worth more than someone who flies 10,000 miles in J?
Yes. Anyone who argues this has not done marketing 101. I can't be bothered with the math, but it's much more than just basic math.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer_lifetime_value

CLV (customer lifetime value) calculation process consists of four steps:

forecasting of remaining customer lifetime (most often in years)
forecasting of future revenues (most often year-by-year), based on estimation about future products purchased and price paid
estimation of costs for delivering those products
calculation of the net present value of these future amounts[5]
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:38 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Uhh. Y/B fares you are also paying for priority boarding.
Wasn't aware that was a perk of Y/B fares. I've never purchased one.

Then by all means, I say they should also board with SE/J. Chances are most people who purchase Y/B are probably also FFers...

Although in a 5 tier system (hopefully it won't be that complicated...) 'priority' doesn't necessarily mean 1st group. So let the debate rage on.

And again, thanks for participating in my education.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.