Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance or Death Star?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I always thought the Star Alliance was created to serve the interests of the airlines, not the customers?

Why would the airlines be interested in the interests of the customers?
^, totally agree!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Allvest
So what's the point of being loyal to one alliance nowadays?
There is no point. None at all.

If you want to collect points and redeem for flights, there are a bunch of different credit cards that will do that for you - and give you the option of booking your redemption on any flight, any airline. You're not locked into what one specific alliance offers.

If you want to enjoy features like lounge access, priority lanes through security and priority boarding, well, the right credit cards can give you that too.

So why exactly does one need to remain loyal to a specific airline or alliance?

You don't. Those days are over.

Airlines and alliances aren't loyal to you. There's no longer any valid reason you need to be loyal to them.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flybit
you get 6 SWU per year at 100k, more as you get more qualifying miles.
Those 6 SWU can clear the day you book your flight or 300 days in advance if R space is open. You can also use them to upgrade from business class to First Class. NO copay! and you can gift or trade for more SWU.

So for SYD with UA you can pay almost $1000 less for an upgradeable fare vs AC, and you don't have copays. UA needs a W or higher fare to use SWU on international flights.
While it does look like UA's upgrade policies are better than AC's now, I don't really see how "co-pay" comes into play in this comparison.

You're talking about upgrades given to a 1K. The equivalent status on AC is S100K. There is no co-pay.

If you want to talk about lower levels, UA members do not have any upgrade instruments valid for international flights, and AC members have to pay for Flex and a co-pay.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:44 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I do not understand these moans - I have never been rejected any PUBLISHED *A benefits. It is definitely not Star Alliance fault that AC uses outdated 1960's Res system that cannot properly communicate with other airlines' systems. All sort of Aeroplan devaluations are not *A fault, either.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
I do not understand these moans - I have never been rejected any PUBLISHED *A benefits. It is definitely not Star Alliance fault that AC uses outdated 1960's Res system that cannot properly communicate with other airlines' systems. All sort of Aeroplan devaluations are not *A fault, either.
Happens mostly when checking in with luggage. Mass confusion easily reigns.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ
I do not understand these moans - I have never been rejected any PUBLISHED *A benefits. It is definitely not Star Alliance fault that AC uses outdated 1960's Res system that cannot properly communicate with other airlines' systems.

Happens occasionally though.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TPJ
It is definitely not Star Alliance fault that AC uses outdated 1960's Res system that cannot properly communicate with other airlines' systems.
Sure it is. A requirement for joining the "Alliance" should be that X years after joining the computer systems should allow for A, B & C operations to work seamlessly.

Preposterous that AC has been a founding member since 1997 and that their IT can't get it together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.