Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada dropped the ball....BIG TIME!!!

Air Canada dropped the ball....BIG TIME!!!

Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott -Lifetime Platinum. A3 Gold (ex-Aeroplan-E50), Skymiles Gold, Hertz Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tireman77
Anybody want to take their comments back?
Not yet.
" As soon as the details of his situation were brought to our attention on Sunday Oct. 26, we immediately waived the additional fees and changed the Paris flight ticket at no cost that same day. We regret this was not done at the outset."
Either the OP's facebook page or AC's page that you quote is not telling the truth, and we don't have any way of knowing right now, do we?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by sam33
Not yet.
" As soon as the details of his situation were brought to our attention on Sunday Oct. 26, we immediately waived the additional fees and changed the Paris flight ticket at no cost that same day. We regret this was not done at the outset."
Either the OP's facebook page or AC's page that you quote is not telling the truth, and we don't have any way of knowing right now, do we?
First rule of holes...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:24 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by sam33
Not yet.
Original FB post was Oct 26th at 11:06am.

In the post it states that the poster's husband is a member "Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders of Canada" then goes on to say that the case in point is another member of the group. So in essence, you are citing the FB page of the husband of a fiend of a person who knew that person.... from 2 days ago.

I understand that poo-poo-ing on AC is in season, but if you are willing to believe a third person, twice removed post from a few days ago, over an official post from AC, then by all means, keep drinking the kool-aide.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Original FB post was Oct 26th at 11:06am.

In the post it states that the poster's husband is a member "Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders of Canada" then goes on to say that the case in point is another member of the group. So in essence, you are citing the FB page of the husband of a fiend of a person who knew that person.... from 2 days ago.

I understand that poo-poo-ing on AC is in season, but if you are willing to believe a third person, twice removed post from a few days ago, over an official post from AC, then by all means, keep drinking the kool-aide.
Original post with the rant shared 15,000 times was October 26 6:55 am
https://www.facebook.com/jackie.wils...666329?fref=nf

On October 26 at 4:24pm she posted this follow up:

The squeaky wheel gets the grease! I am happy to report that Air Canada has now reimbursed the $900 fee. I am disappointed that they would not cover the cost of the ticket (as they SHOULD have after all of this nonsense!) The woman who called representing Air Canada simply said, "I am only doing what I was told to do" (in reference to the reimbursement) and when asked if she had seen the negative response on Social Media, her response was "Well, sometimes the public can be so harsh!" HARSH??? REALLY??? Nice PR....
Pretty quick for a large corporation like AC
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by mendy7511
Original post with the rant shared 15,000 times was October 26 6:55 am
https://www.facebook.com/jackie.wils...666329?fref=nf

On October 26 at 4:24pm she posted this follow up:

Pretty quick for a large corporation like AC
And that is 2 days and 41 minutes before this thread.

I'll ask again: Does anyone want to withdraw their comments?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC

They should.

Being a member of the forces, I am shocked at the brutality of this entire event, however......

We all make choices in life, and should not expect the world to bend over backwards for us if or when something happens. Someone asked and was told no, I dont know about the rest of you, but my best friend is worth a heck of a lot more than 900 bucks. The poor woman on the line from AC doesnt have the power to waive this, and being as it was for personal travel (because had it been for military travel the military would have changed the ticket) its tough all around. Kudos to AC for cancelling the charge when A connected to B, but to rant and rave over $900 is absolutely silly. Having lost more than one friend including one very close friend, I can tell you that I would have paid anything, done anything to be there for them and their family, that is what matters. Aften god knows how many ramp ceremonys in Kandahar and many funerals in Canada, I have learned that being there is in a small way a help for the family to move on, and that is what matters.

Anyways, just my two cents.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Anybody want to take their comments back?
Yup! *blush*
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by canforce
They should.

Being a member of the forces, I am shocked at the brutality of this entire event, however......

We all make choices in life, and should not expect the world to bend over backwards for us if or when something happens. Someone asked and was told no, I dont know about the rest of you, but my best friend is worth a heck of a lot more than 900 bucks. The poor woman on the line from AC doesnt have the power to waive this, and being as it was for personal travel (because had it been for military travel the military would have changed the ticket) its tough all around. Kudos to AC for cancelling the charge when A connected to B, but to rant and rave over $900 is absolutely silly. Having lost more than one friend including one very close friend, I can tell you that I would have paid anything, done anything to be there for them and their family, that is what matters. Aften god knows how many ramp ceremonys in Kandahar and many funerals in Canada, I have learned that being there is in a small way a help for the family to move on, and that is what matters.

Anyways, just my two cents.
Thanks for putting all of this into better perspective.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:49 pm

Give 'anyone' 9.5 hours to withdraw their comments. Its only fair.

That aside, whats with the smug 'I'll ask again' approach? It sounds like you want a personal apology from 'anyone'. Interesting how you attempted to cut AC's response time by half.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I don't know when mob bullying became an acceptable form of complaint against a private company.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by yulred
Give 'anyone' 9.5 hours to withdraw their comments. Its only fair.

That aside, whats with the smug 'I'll ask again' approach? It sounds like you want a personal apology from 'anyone'. Interesting how you attempted to cut AC's response time by half.
Sorry is I came across smug, it was simply my frustration with situations like this. People were lambasting AC on a story that was 2 days old without bothering to check the validity of the claim. Its the same when people pile on rants on FB/twit-er/blogs without checking out the facts.

Its a sign of the times, I know. There's a power and responsibility that comes with a public forum, but unfortunately those who often post irresponsibly usually don't face consequences of their actions.

I guess I'm old school.

BTW, I didn't set a time limit
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:21 pm

Sorry is I came across smug, it was simply my frustration with situations like this. People were lambasting AC on a story that was 2 days old without bothering to check the validity of the claim. Its the same when people pile on rants on FB/twit-er/blogs without checking out the facts.

Its a sign of the times, I know. There's a power and responsibility that comes with a public forum, but unfortunately those who often post irresponsibly usually don't face consequences of their actions.

I guess I'm old school.

It took AC 9.5 hours to sort a PR disaster out. The first post went up at 655 am, not 11 am. It was resolved around 4 pm.

On any public forum, people comment on the basis of what they have available to them. AC itself only set the record straight 3 hours ago, according to their FB page. It took AC 2 days to get its side of the story out; from now on, should public forum wait at least 2 days before commenting on anything?

As for irresponsible posts, there are consequences, namely in the form of loss of credibility. Everyone can read the post, their posts and AC's response. Those who feel the need to take back what they said, will likely do so without being asked.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Seeing all of the bickering back and forth that this thread has caused, I feel that I should voice a few words here.

I work in a building across the street from our Parliament, and consider it a privilege to do so. I love my job, and never take the fact that I see our seat of democracy each morning for granted.

Last week was a tragedy for the entire country. While I did not personally know WO Vincent or Cpl. Cirillo, I feel immensely sorry for what happened to them. Having military in my family, and knowing what they have to go through when on deployment, it's terrible to think that they were killed during peacetime, on home soil.

Last Wednesday, I was locked down in a boardroom all day and into the night with my colleagues. Many of us were unsure of what was happening; what we did know came through piecemeal on the few cell phones that had reception. It was a very concerning situation, to say the least.

This past weekend, my wife and I visited the national war memorial to drop off flowers and pay our respects. How this city, and more importantly this country have reacted, is nothing short of incredible. To see so many strangers consoling each other - to see such resolve in fellow Canadians - has been truly touching.

That being said, it seems as though this was all one big misunderstanding. While we all may on occasion like to berate and complain about Canada's large corporations, the truth is that many of them stepped up to the plate after this act by donating money and through offering other measures of support. While we all may dislike some of the changes AC has confirmed lately, I do think it was unfair to characterize them as "uncaring," regardless of speculation about whether or not their response was about saving face.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Not well managed.
Not surprised.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton

I guess I'm old school.

The speed with which people respond negatively is a reflection of the negative feelings people have for the airline.

People who have a positive perception of a person or company will either wait, or offer supportive comments when there is a negative event. The reactions to this event tell me that the general public has a significant amount of animosity for AC and that the days of people holding warm and fuzzy feelings for AC are long past.

There was a time when consumer review sites were weighted towards positive statements and support for AC. Now, AC is dealing with a widening and strengthening angry sentiment (e.g. the almost all negative scathing Skytrax Rouge reviews), that should be setting off warning bells in the AC executive offices. I don't know if AC management understands these consumer behaviour warning signs, and if not, perhaps it should consider hiring someone who does to explain what the implications are.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.