Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WEIGH IN: Leaving AC, Staying or ALREADY LEFT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United M+: Platnum to 2016 AC E75K to 2015

Given the annoucement today.. post a simple reply to this thread if you are planning on:
LEAVING (and to what point program)
STAYING (AC is perfect for you)
ALREADY LEFT (and to what program)
... and any other comments - but keep it short and sweet..

I will start:

ALREADY LEFT to United M+ and already earned Platnum through to 2016
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
STAYING (AC is perfect for you)
and
ALREADY LEFT (and to what program) UA M+. Will be UA*1K

AC likely would have gotten 150-175k travel from me, but now I'm splitting and happier
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Leaving and kind of already left:

I've stopped going out of my way to fly AC when other airlines, usually Westjet, are cheaper or offer better times. This year, I've done the following on Westjet:

YEG-YVR-YYJ-YEG
YEG-YVR-YEG
YEG-YYC-YEG (2x)
YEG-YYZ-YEG
YEG-YQR-YEG

and did YEG-YYZ-CDG-FCO-CDG-YYZ-YEG on Westjet/Air France.

I'm at 37 AC segments, always making status on segments. I could have made E50K and *G if I stuck to AC but I'm over it. This year, I'm going to focus on my Westjet account and just pump money into that. I doubt I'll make P25K next year, but I honestly don't mind.

AC needs to realize that just as Westjet is creating a new FF program is not a good time to screw over mainly domestic FFs! Especially out west in YEG, YYC, YVR and YQR where Westjet is a very serious domestic competitor!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Gone a while ago and never looked back.

No need to read the complicated AC rule changes.

For me it is BA/AA whenever possible and Westjet within Canada, even for frequent work-related trips to Calgary.

AC only when I am forced by circumstances.

Cheers
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Staying.

No real alternative and I think I can work my way around the changes.

Last year's changes were good. I ended up spending $4000 less to maintain SE status this year. I'll probably need to contribute some of it back to them in 2015...

Also I may not be able to give up 50 eCredits to gift E50 status to my wife, not sure yet. But she'll get E35 anyway.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: *A SE100K
The upgrade program has basically been dismantled and the 500 mile minimum will affect a large percentage of my domestic flights. I am trying hard to figure out what motivation is left to stay with AC in my case. I'll be SE 100K in 2015, but I'll be re-evaluating where my money gets spent. As has been said before, loyalty needs to go both ways.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Staying.

No alternative for our preferences: No transit in US, Non-stop flights to both Asia and Europe.

Hate the uncertainty of Aerolotto and therefore we usually buy Z or B fares to upgrade. eUp cut doesn't affect us too much.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Staying (for now--we haven't seen all the enhancements yet!)

"Also I may not be able to give up 50 eCredits to gift E50 status to my wife, not sure yet. But she'll get E35 anyway. "

and with the elimination of YQ if we actually have real IKK (not assured), buying Aeroplan J tickets with oodles of points in our accounts might fix that problem anyway. The other option is to buy a Latitude Europe pass for two . . .
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: ACAlt,SPG,MR

SE so likely staying - however I have never really even considered another program but I will be researching my options as 50% of my regular flying is in eastern Canada and will be really penalizing from a mileage earning standpoint.

I will still likely always make it on segments but my mileage will be sliced in half in both AQM and RM (100% bonus) assuming that still exists.

Maybe Porter is a viable option and Buffalo looking better for my US flying.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Staying. No other alternative, really (I fly domestic only). But will try to find a normal-er job (9 to 5) this year. I've been thinking about changing jobs at the company I work for for a while now. This sort of accelerates it. Im curious - can we start a poll? I find it interesting that over 50% (i'm eyeballing) are staying...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Staying.

Will see what the future holds are reevaluate if need be.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United M+: Platnum to 2016 AC E75K to 2015
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Staying. No other alternative, ....... can we start a poll? I find it interesting that over 50% (i'm eyeballing) are staying...
That is what I am trying to determine.. It seems that most SE are staying (of course) so all the other, lower SE are leaving or left. I left in Feb and luckily, made 75K at United.. which gives me a 11X multimpler for their new "ticket price" miles.. We'll see how that goes..

Its us "Lowest Fare, corporate travellers" who suffer.. Hard to justitfy a 25% Tango Fare when I can earn 100% on UA or another Program...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NeoRichards
That is what I am trying to determine.. It seems that most SE are staying (of course) so all the other, lower SE are leaving or left. I left in Feb and luckily, made 75K at United.. which gives me a 11X multimpler for their new "ticket price" miles.. We'll see how that goes..

Its us "Lowest Fare, corporate travellers" who suffer.. Hard to justitfy a 25% Tango Fare when I can earn 100% on UA or another Program...
I only fly domestic. I love AC and am very loyal to AC, but today was a bit disappointing. The eups threshold shocked me. The increase of eups to upgrade, I get, but...ah well. Still super thankful for the AC reps today though. I found it very professional. Rip the bandaid without the BS, and they did do that.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Oct 23, 2014 at 8:35 pm
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Already left... Not much of a feeling about another kick in the rear end, simply don't care.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a traveller requiring transit at YYZ, my choices are very restricted.
I will be staying. However, I personally feel that my business is now being taken for granted.

The wheel turns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.