Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:59 am
No longer with Air Canada
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/altitude/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members. This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/altitude/updates.html
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:59 am
Flying Blue Director

Hi guys,

As you can see above (and should have/will shortly be seeing in your inboxes), we've announced the changes to the Altitude program for next year.

This upcoming year will see some big changes, and I'm not going to pretend that they won't impact many of you. I understand some will be frustrated with some of the changes, but I hope that other aspects will go over positively. I'm not going to try and defend or spin anything, but both myself and Andrew are here to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by Ben Lipsey; Oct 23, 2014 at 11:28 am
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:08 am
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Still digesting the changes but no fuel surcharge for SE Aeroplan reward intl bookings sounds awesome....
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Fuel surcharge moves are great.

The minimum AC-metal mileage is interesting. Probably a good move. Sad to see the eUpgrade nominees essentially going away.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by CT1
Still digesting the changes .
*IKK down to 10 reservations a year
*Intl Flex copay $500 on eupgrades for anyone but SE
*No more one free change for SEs
*YQ on AC intl metal not charged for SEs
*Shorthaul YQ not charged for any elites ($27 savings)
*35k no more star alliance lounge access as choice
*minimum AC requirement going up
*mo more 500 mile minimums for anyone
*eupgrades required increasing
*one nominee for SEs, none for others

Last edited by rankourabu; Oct 23, 2014 at 11:32 am
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:16 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CT1
Still digesting the changes but no fuel surcharge for SE Aeroplan reward intl bookings sounds awesome....
Looks to me that it's only the case if you are able to get a seat from the "general bucket , Classic reward" , not the Ikk bucket [priority reward}. Am I correct or incorrect?

If it's what I wrote , then it's useless
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My, some people will get real upset...

Less upgrade credits and increased requirements... It's going to be tough if flying flex. OTOH, more room for upgrades on higher fares.

And the removal of co-pay for Aeroplan rewards will help.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question:

If my wife say gets E35 status, and I also gift her E50 status as part of my SE package, does she get boths sets of eCredits?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:19 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I hope that all the details of all the changes will be set in stone and that we can all be advised by December 1st 2014. That will allow us 1 month to assess and decide if we still want to support Air Canada/Aeroplan for our 2015 air travel.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: *A SE100K
If I'm reading that correctly, that's a a huge change in policy for fuel surcharges. All of a sudden it is rational to fly Air Canada on for reward flights.

The other downgrades such as the eUpgrade schedule are the normal erosion of value, but the fuel surcharge change has me rethinking how I'm planning my flights next year.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Air Canada Altitude
I don't understand this bit. If one only needs 50K miles to hit SE, I'm assuming that there is a fare bucket enhancement that hasn't been announced.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Wow. Pretty major devaluation of eUpgrades domestically. If I understand correctly, eUpgrade costs for Flight Pass Flex bookings just doubled from 4 to 8. And the number of credits earned between 0-99,999 AQM declines dramatically, from 48 to 20.

Which means in turn that a SE would have just 90 eUpgrade credits up to 99,999AQM, plus those for FP activity, or enough to upgrade a paltry 11 domestic long haul flights.

That contrasts with with 128 credits + Flight Pass activity up to 99,999 AQM, which was enough to upgrade 32 flights. So approximately a 65% devaluation of the domestic program.

Holy crap.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I don't understand this bit. If one only needs 50K miles to hit SE, I'm assuming that there is a fare bucket enhancement that hasn't been announced.
That is 50k on AC metal, out of a total of 100k required for SE status. In other words, you have to fly 50% of your AQM on AC, as opposed to the 10% requirement that existed prior.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is now the minimum *on AC.* Not the total requirement, which appears to be unchanged.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Those are the minimum AC metal requirements.

Good to see the YQ waiver for SEs on AC metal - less pressure on the superior LO/TK/LX space TATL for everyone else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.