Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
• Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
• Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
• Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
• Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
• Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance™ member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the “high Flex” eligibility category to include the “U” and “H” booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the “U” booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the ‘higher Flex’ eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite™ 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude™ for 2015 were announced. As always, we’ve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance™ member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canada’s focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
I'm sure they can fill the empty seats with non-revs to give the place a touch of class.
This might be a service improvement strategy. Happier employees=better customer service.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:56 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I am sitting at about 94 e-ups to be used by end of Feb.

My loyalty to AC/AE has just diminished. Since 1984 I have been loyal to AC/AE but the time of reckoning has come. Loyalty took a back seat to revenue a few years ago. It has now gotten even worse.

When will someone announce the death of Aeroplan (AE) as it is now over with? The funeral should be announced shortly. I will not be in attendance. I thank AE for its generous support in the past, but the future now looks very bleak to any Frequent Flyer.

I can only recommend selling AC stock at this point. They have just lost a lot of revenue loyalists.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MM, MP, onepass, Fairmont Platinum, Millennium Hotels Elite
Here's a thought. If indeed AC wants more revenue J passengers, maybe try to compete a little on price? As posted here by myself and others, AC J cabin opttions are typically at least 20% higher than cometitors. I used to buy good deal Z class fares from AC frequently but now they are a rare bird.

Again, what do we know? We are just dumb customers.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by alexbc
They have this illusion that since people upgrade via eUps, they're not selling enough J, hence loss of revenue.
It is the same ridiculous logic used by music and movie companies/associations when they justify the cost of "piracy" - they assume that all or even a majority of people would pay full price for the product if they were not "stealing it". Of course the majority of elites are business travellers and have no say in the matter ... do they honestly think my employer is going to say "okay, now that AC has gutted the FF program we're going to let you fly J"? I mean come on.

And I can't believe that AC thinks I "cheapen" the J cabin. What is cheap is a cabin with larger seats than the sardine can in Y that offers food and service that is far inferior to my local pub let alone a nice restaurant. Yeah, that's a pretty exclusive place
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
[...] do they honestly think my employer is going to say "okay, now that AC has gutted the FF program we're going to let you fly J"? I mean come on.
I think they may hope that your company may pay for Premium Economy, rather than condemn you to the galleys in Y-.

I would think some decent employers will, many won't. If your employer won't, you cannot blame AC for it. Tells you something about the employer.

I suspect mine won't. But I have significant control on my travel needs and a limited budget largely under my control. And I am able to pay on top of what my employer allows.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Regarding 1) we are indeed investing in the hard product: our 787 new seat product across the fleet, which takes up more real estate; installing PY - again more real estate, new IFE systems, esspresso machines in J, new dining options, etc. -- these are just some examples, but the new spec is more expensive for us to provide, and it requires average increased revenue in J. Service culture is also an important goal of ours, and we are working to address that as well.

I don't get it, honestly - our new hard product is virtually identical to that of CX, yet we don't compete on hard product? Our current 77P seat is the same as LX/OS and yet we don't compete? I admit, I've flown those guys in J and haven't been blown away (though Do&Co on OS is a nice touch). I also was boiling the entire flight because they don't have air vents, but that's another subject entirely.
Really? Are you kidding me? I BET you NEVER have been on 77P flight from YVR-HKG and back to see for yourself. The only other airline getting close to that AWEFUL experience was on Sunwing and Airtransat! No room for your arms, armrest controls are hit all the time, absolutely the most cramped seats on any premium airline, not enough lavatories, no duty free, horrendous service due to lack of staff vs. number of passengers, absolutely inadequate overhead bins for carry on, hardest seats I've ever sat on... And for J? Wow, coffin feel for anyone over 5'6. It's absolutely THE WORST LONG HAUL product in the market. I would NEVER FORGET how horrible of a hell it was... I'd go for zero miles, 3 connections and pay a ton more to avoid that plane like a plague!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: ACAltitude 50K, Delta Gold
Happy employees

Originally Posted by ylwae
This might be a service improvement strategy. Happier employees=better customer service.
They will fill the J seats with employees. See how much revenue that generates.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Stranger
I think they may hope that your company may pay for Premium Economy, rather than condemn you to the galleys in Y-.

I would think some decent employers will, many won't. If your employer won't, you cannot blame AC for it. Tells you something about the employer.

I suspect mine won't. But I have significant control on my travel needs and a limited budget largely under my control. And I am able to pay on top of what my employer allows.
I've resisted, but I feel compelled to speak up here. Respectfully, I work for an employer that does "care" about us (and is ranked in the top 5 as best place to work in Canada, and in some cases, the world - dependent on country). They will not pay for PY. Does anyone work for a company here that has said they will pay for PY? (even though that doesn't apply to domestic travelers like me?) In that case, can you provide names as I will jump employers.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Oct 25, 2014 at 7:34 pm
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:27 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Originally Posted by Stranger

hence watch the number of J class seats to dramatically be withdrawn from service.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: United M+: Platnum to 2016 AC E75K to 2015
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Sorry. I've never been this opinionated on FT. I have tried to keep every post respectful and professional. If anyone thinks otherwise, please PM me and I apologize ahead of time. But yes, i'll go to the South Pole for a bit. I think what I need to say (advice and opinions to AC) have been said.

A very sad few days for me. Unlike most of you who have some "real" options, it's different on the domestic front hence the. Certainly reevaluating my travel plans, and also my day job as a result. I've been a loyal AC guy for years, which is why it hurts more. Been a weird few days for me.

Again, apologies to all that I've been very vocal. My last note is to Ben(s)/Andrew: thanks for being on here and for enduring us. Time for me to hibernate on this thread.
I don't think you need apologize.. I am not sure what Margiarita girl's problem is.. (apparently, you are part of her 99!)... It's a forum; We're happy/sad/mad; we're allowed to vent.. I have seen nothing wrong with your posts Penguin!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: FT
Really? Are you kidding me? I BET you NEVER have been on 77P flight from YVR-HKG and back to see for yourself. The only other airline getting close to that AWEFUL experience was on Sunwing and Airtransat! No room for your arms, armrest controls are hit all the time, absolutely the most cramped seats on any premium airline, not enough lavatories, no duty free, horrendous service due to lack of staff vs. number of passengers, absolutely inadequate overhead bins for carry on, hardest seats I've ever sat on... And for J? Wow, coffin feel for anyone over 5'6. It's absolutely THE WORST LONG HAUL product in the market. I would NEVER FORGET how horrible of a hell it was... I'd go for zero miles, 3 connections and pay a ton more to avoid that plane like a plague!
Wait one second mate. There is no way any current AT birds in y are the siht that AC pulls on the sardine cans in y.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NeoRichards
I don't think you need apologize.. I am not sure what Margiarita girl's problem is.. (apparently, you are part of her 99!)... It's a forum; We're happy/sad/mad; we're allowed to vent.. I have seen nothing wrong with your posts Penguin!
Just wanted to say thank you. Appreciate your post (and the few PM's I have gotten indicating the same.)
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: SE 1MM, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

And I can't believe that AC thinks I "cheapen" the J cabin. What is cheap is a cabin with larger seats than the sardine can in Y that offers food and service that is far inferior to my local pub let alone a nice restaurant. Yeah, that's a pretty exclusive place
Doesn't AC Rouge "Cheapen" the AC Brand!

Last edited by Catch; Oct 25, 2014 at 7:46 pm
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Really? Are you kidding me? I BET you NEVER have been on 77P flight from YVR-HKG and back to see for yourself.
Remember AC ivory tower employees do travel way more than people on this forum @:-)
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by jsfrSuperElite
^ I did the same yesterday and after seeing how Air Canada values their SE for the future, my regular monthly fights to Asia will no longer be with Air Canada, despite having reached SE for 2015 in September.

And I certainly won't encourage anymore my American clients to take Air Canada when we can fly direct non stop from NY to Asia on an Asian carrier.
Try Hainan Airlines out of NYC, YYZ, Seattle and ORD if not other cities. Best seating I have ever had in J and best price too at about $2900Can. .... but perhaps the worst IFE system ever. Still it is the price and comfort that matters.

To my total surprise they even threw in an overnight hotel for free at the Langham at PEK but I wish they had told me that in advance. I had pre booked the Hilton at PEK.

Some things get lost in translation when on a Chinese airline!.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.