Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC - I've HAD it with you and Aeroplan!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC - I've HAD it with you and Aeroplan!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by margarita girl
The phone may have been answered after 1 minute, but I believe he said he was put on hold for 42 mins while waiting to speak to a supervisor... before being cut off.

When I ask for a supervisor, I ask the agent to get the supervisor to call me. They always do.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Stranger
I suspect no one has been SE for 25 years... Max should be around 15 or 16.
I have. Got statements and still have the leather bag tags.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
You must be very special, if you had SE status even before the SE level was introduced.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
IIRC Super Elite status was introduced in 1998. I have a nice old Aeroplan membership booklet from 1996 and there is no Super Elite status mentioned therein, only Elite and Prestige.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
IIRC Super Elite status was introduced in 1998. I have a nice old Aeroplan membership booklet from 1996 and there is no Super Elite status mentioned therein, only Elite and Prestige.
btw, whatever happened to SEPreffered?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...embership.html

Have a read, its an interesting blast from the past.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Post them.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
1998 IS CORRECT (maybe there was some hidden program before that) but the first public face of SE was 1998. See benefits in first post in this thread after I got my SE package:

SE BENEFITS 1998
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by acysb87
Not everything.

Although not in the "best customers" category, I believe that I am a good customer to AC.I will admit that there are frustrations at times but not to the level some here have experienced.
lol you are Air Canada's BEST Customer!

You are trapped in a city with no competition!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
btw, whatever happened to SEPreffered?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...embership.html

Have a read, its an interesting blast from the past.
Actually this was never introduced, just a trial balloon. Prestige has always been 18K until about 10 years ago when it went to 25K, the rationale being this was one-half the mileage required for Elite, which was always 35K. And SE was kept at 100K. Prestige was increased because too many people were earning it by doing a single transPac trip but who had little use for its benefits since they tended to be aimed at domestic flyers.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by bmam7
I am a member of Aeroplan although, living in Australia, there is not much call to use it. I joined in the days when Air Canada flew via Honolulu but never got around to using it.

My interest is that only a few months ago there was intense speculation that QF would sell its FF plan just like Air Canada did some years ago. There was a fairly large and loud outcry as posters with knowledge of Aeroplan were horrified, since, in their opinion, that had become a disaster for Air Canada instead of an asset and Aeroplan was often used as an example of what NOT to do. Something which seems to be borne out by several posters on this thread.
Are you sure your Aeroplan membership is still valid? Assume you haven't used it, so quite likely you've lost it as one must have activity at least once a year. However, there would be no benefits from a basic level membership. (You've not mentioned whether you fly other STAR airlines and put those miles into your AE account. If that's the case then your account would be active, but you would not have elite status since you've not flown 10K on AC.)

As for selling off QF's FF program, the difference between QF and AC is that QF recognized it needs its FF program as a profit centre to help the airline's balance sheet and bottom line, whereas AC's management at the time was more interested in creating shareholder value than helping keep the airline in the black so AE was spun off. I am sure AC's present management wishes it still had AE as a division, both for the bottom line benefits, but also to have more control over the redemption side of "its FF program".
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I am sure AC's present management wishes it still had AE as a division, both for the bottom line benefits, but also to have more control over the redemption side of "its FF program".
Not so sure about the last point. More like, they would not mind keeping the profit that Aeroplan is making.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
lol you are Air Canada's BEST Customer!

You are trapped in a city with no competition!
Has Porter stopped flying to Sudbury?

Sunwing offers vacation flights nonstop from Sudbury, convenience on those services to "any-place-warm" flights (the majority of 1x/year travelers) is much higher than AC.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Shareholder @ #55

Thanks for your comments. Yes indeed, the original card was invalid but I was given a new one when I made the booking for this upcoming trip. It's the only *Alliance card I have as I tend to use Oneworld.

I'm afraid I am now retired so any flying I do is at my own expense so reaching the lofty heights of OW Emerald or its * equivalent, for example, have probably long gone. OW Sapphire or QF Gold is indeed attainable and, so far, I am able to keep that going. Will requalify in December although my assessment period is not until next August.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: QF Gold
superangrypenguin #45

I'm not much good at trip reports, certainly not those I've seen with pictures of food plates, seat backs, safety cards etc but I will make notes of my AC flights and let you know.

As a matter of inquisitiveness, why are you an "angry" or indeed a "superangry" penguin? :-) You may tell me to mind my own business!!

On the subject of lurking - I "lurk" to gain knowledge and only post if I want to ask a question or think I have something to say which may be of interest. At the moment this site is of interest to me because of my upcoming AC flights.

I'm equally at home lurking on the QF site or indeed any other airline which I might be about to fly, whether I have status or not. It's amazing what you can glean and the impression (rightly or wrongly) you can gain from comments made by other posters who do fly this or that particular airline.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Are you sure your Aeroplan membership is still valid? Assume you haven't used it, so quite likely you've lost it as one must have activity at least once a year.
Isn't it every 3 yrs for people who live outside NA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.