Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Adding Frequent Flyer # to Aeroplan Bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adding Frequent Flyer # to Aeroplan Bookings

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
I have flown out of YCD a few times trying to get the # added and the SE agents have never been able to. Maybe cause it's a small airport etc. and they aren't as knowledgeable... who knows.
I wouldn't assume a smaller airport has less knowledgeable agents. I flew on a Y redemption (from someone else's miles) a couple weeks ago from YXT. The agent checking me in had no issue adding my status to my boarding pass. Status showed up, bags checked for free, and zone 2 showed up on the BP.

On the return, checking in at YVR, the agent wasn't able to add my status to the BP, zone showed as 3 rather than 2, and I had to show my card at the lounge. The agent did not try to charge for bags but since the status wasn't on the BP I assume he had to override something.

I almost wonder if there needs to be some (re)training for longer term employees. The agent that checked me in at YXT is pretty new on the job (newbies are easy to notice at our small airport), but she had absolutely no issues in both getting the status on the card and recognizing that my status ensures I'm not paying baggage fees even on a reward flight.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I can speak from current experience just a week ago. Miles were from my SE account.

The system no longer takes or retains FF #. YYZ concierges & Check-in Agents for over 30 minutes tried. Gave up. Manually over rode the baggage fees. On BP wrote Pax *Gold . Boarding Zone 2. In MLL he had to show his UA 1K card.
I did this successfully on December 28 2015 with a UA number for a ticket booked from my account. It was for the secondary passenger.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: SE, tdaero, amexaero
Weird experience in early december.
Aeroplan points booking, my own. Did not show zone 1 on boarding card, not sure if it showed aeroplan number or status. Told to use my SE card at gate to get early zone entrance (denied and told the altitude card is no good and zone has to be on the boarding card). Had to go back to end of line, zone 4.
I am not usually fussed about these things but a bit of an embarrassing experience to be told to go back to end of queue in the commotion of boarding process. The uncertainty is also not great, i reread the thread, and i am still not sure what the rules are. I thought all the altitude privileges applied to reward bookings, but now i am not so sure and i did not get a consistent or clear answer form ac agents.

Last edited by Jessee Paa; Jan 3, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jessee Paa
Weird experience in early december.
Aeroplan points booking, my own. Did not show zone 1 on boarding card, not sure if it showed aeroplan number or status. Told to use my SE card at gate to get early zone entrance (denied and told the altitude card is no good and zone has to be on the boarding card). Had to go back to end of line, zone 4.
I am not usually fussed about these things but a bit of an embarrassing experience to be told to go back to end of queue in the commotion of boarding process. The uncertainty is also not great, i reread the thread, and i am still not sure what the rules are. I thought all the altitude privileges applied to reward bookings, but now i am not so sure and i did not get a consistent or clear answer form ac agents.
Even if they wouldn't let you in zone 1, I'm surprised they wouldn't let you in 2.

2 is clearly the standard "priority" boarding, and they should realize that a SE gets priority boarding.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by somedude3210
I wouldn't assume a smaller airport has less knowledgeable agents. I flew on a Y redemption (from someone else's miles) a couple weeks ago from YXT. The agent checking me in had no issue adding my status to my boarding pass. Status showed up, bags checked for free, and zone 2 showed up on the BP.

I almost wonder if there needs to be some (re)training for longer term employees. The agent that checked me in at YXT is pretty new on the job (newbies are easy to notice at our small airport), but she had absolutely no issues in both getting the status on the card and recognizing that my status ensures I'm not paying baggage fees even on a reward flight.

Yeah my bad, didn't mean less knowledgeable. Just LESS agents period. So I always see the same two or three agents and get the same result.

Glad to hear it worked for you though. This shouldn't be so difficult / inconsistent haha.

Originally Posted by Jessee Paa
I thought all the altitude privileges applied to reward bookings, but now i am not so sure and i did not get a consistent or clear answer form ac agents.
I'm under the impression that Altitude Privileges are yours regardless of your fare (reward or paid), on any AC or *Alliance airline.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: SE, tdaero, amexaero
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Even if they wouldn't let you in zone 1, I'm surprised they wouldn't let you in 2.

2 is clearly the standard "priority" boarding, and they should realize that a SE gets priority boarding.
Thanks, i have to admit that after being told card is not good in zone 1 and that zone 4 was on my boarding card, i didnt try for zone 2 (all with ac, right, an ac altitde card and an ac flight). This gate agent was pretty strick with the rules (if they exist).
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by D404
Great for SEs, but still broken for us normal elites .
Not really. I am SE and:

Originally Posted by 24left
2 recent tickets booked for me as a gift and SE concierge was unable to put my # on one of them, but the second on worked. She did not know why...
I just looked at the BPs from these flights I referred to. They show Zone ! because they are business class rewards. Instead of an Aeroplan #, it shows AC*, which is fine.

My points still are:

SE agent at YYZ was only able to add my Aeroplan # to one of the tickets. It matters if you are booked in economy and/or end up in Zone 4, when your Altitude Status clearly says you are entitled to board in Zone 1 or 2.

This results in Jessee Paa's experience, which is absurd.

This also results in someone who is SE etc not having their name on the PIL which results in SD/FA not asking meal preference - which of course is FWP, but might matter to some.

It's bad enough when someone somewhere at AC IT Central supposedly tries to fix a problem and creates another one instead. And of course, I and possibly others assume it's either a IT error or purposeful change.

It's worse when an Altitude member with status and a valid card is refused their privileges.

Seriously!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: *G
The most annoying aspect of the recent "enhancements" is that your own status is no longer recognized when using your own points at OLCI. It wants you to pay for bags and does not allocate the appropriate zone. So you can no longer do OLCI - you have to go to an agent who should be able to fix it all.

The number of people reporting problems here is staggering and no sign of an explanation from AC either to apologize for its screwed up and announced change, nor to agents on how to handle the situation.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fin 645
The most annoying aspect of the recent "enhancements" is that your own status is no longer recognized when using your own points at OLCI. It wants you to pay for bags and does not allocate the appropriate zone. So you can no longer do OLCI - you have to go to an agent who should be able to fix it all.

The number of people reporting problems here is staggering and no sign of an explanation from AC either to apologize for its screwed up and announced change, nor to agents on how to handle the situation.

Can I bold your post and maybe go for the big font?

Also, just to evaluate the training level of agents near and far, perhaps we should all conduct our own tests the next time we or family & friends fly on Aeroplan tickets on AC.

If you have status and are entitled to things such as no fee bags, higher zone boarding and even meal selection as SE, bring your cards AND a copy of the rules and record and report back here what your experiences were.

For shiggles, maybe we need a wiki.

Last edited by 24left; Jan 3, 2016 at 4:32 pm Reason: BOLD, becasue
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by 24left
Also, just to evaluate the training level of agents near and far, perhaps we should all conduct our own tests the next time we or family & friends fly on Aeroplan tickets on AC.

If you have status and are entitled to things such as no fee bags, higher zone boarding and even meal selection as SE, bring your cards AND a copy of the rules and record and report back here what your experiences were.

For shiggles, maybe we need a wiki.
I know this is a joke (probably), but it's not a bad idea...

Flying YQT-YYZ-LHR tomorrow on an award ticket. Let's see how it goes and the outstation.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by fin 645

Yeah AC IT continues to be brutal, but go ahead and do OLCI and choose "0" for bags. You can complete OLCI and check your bags with an agent at the airport.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Flying YQT-YYZ-LHR tomorrow on an award ticket. Let's see how it goes and the outstation.

I. WAS. NOT. JOKING and thanks.

I was responding to fin 645's post and thinking about our collective recent experiences.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: SE 100K

Haha yea post back in here and let us know ^

I have a reward ticket (someone else's points) in 10 days.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Air Canada needs to switch to Amadeus period.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I did this successfully on December 28 2015 with a UA number for a ticket booked from my account. It was for the secondary passenger.
You are confirming what I posted up thread. It was UA flight # issued on 014 by AE.
UA flight had its own PNR. Thus you can add it.

You know when AE issues tickets on different carrier there is a PNR for each carrier.

I have booked many UA award flights for secondary passengers & added my 1K. The passengers have received all of my UA 1K benefits.

One cannot add FF# on award booking on AC flights in AC PNR.

It was on 28th DEC that we had issue adding the UA 1K # to AC flights on award ticket issued by AE using my AC SE #. As I was not travelling not wanting to abuse my benefit we first went to T check-in agent who realising I was SE contacted YYZ concierge & was told to go concierge office. The flight was @ 4:00PM. We were in concierge office from 1:30PM to almost 2:00PM on 28th DEC .
I was told by long time yyz senior concierge who knows me well commented this is an ongoing issue. Even if I was travelling I would have the same issue & would have to done manual. Than she commented you would not have an issue because you only travel in premium cabin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.