Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is there any relationship betwen fuel surcharges and Jet Fuel prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any relationship betwen fuel surcharges and Jet Fuel prices?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Can someone explain to me why AC and LH charge YQ on reward seats and UA and the majority of *A do not? There is an abundance of AC "priority reward J seats" on TATL routes but there are few takers. Why does AC not get the message?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lllahim
Can someone explain to me why AC and LH charge YQ on reward seats and UA and the majority of *A do not? There is an abundance of AC "priority reward J seats" on TATL routes but there are few takers. Why does AC not get the message?
Alas, answer is simple.

Because they don't need to. They don't have seats to give away anymore, which UA still does. As to "priority rewards," that's just like selling these seats. Whether through Aeroplan or directly, they probably don't care too much. It's not like they need to sell them through Aeroplan.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Ah, my apologies for the confusion. I was referring to Air Canada, not Aeroplan.
And that's the problem: two separate companies (that really should be one) with neither one wanting to take responsibility.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Can someone explain to me why AC and LH charge YQ on reward seats and UA and the majority of *A do not?
Well actually, the majority of Star Alliance do. The only ones that dont are UA and LifeMiles. Everyone else charges YQ.

I hope you realize that Air Canada surcharges on award tickets on LH metal have nothing to do with Lufthansa asking for the money.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu

I hope you realize that Air Canada surcharges on award tickets on LH metal have nothing to do with Lufthansa asking for the money.
AC/LH run their transatlantic business jointly, as a pool. Again, can you seriously expect them to sell Aeroplan a J round trip ticket to Europe for less than $700?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:53 pm

Well actually, the majority of Star Alliance do. The only ones that dont are UA and LifeMiles. Everyone else charges YQ.

There is a Wiki listing *A with and without YQ. Too lazy to find the cross reference. When I looked to sponsor relatives from UK, I found quite a few *A without YQ. LX and TK for example. The agent who helped me with the booking said LH charges YQ.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a Wiki listing *A with and without YQ. Too lazy to find the cross reference. When I looked to sponsor relatives from UK, I found quite a few *A without YQ. LX and TK for example. The agent who helped me with the booking said LH charges YQ.
TK for example, charges YQ on their awards using their miles. As does LX.

Air Canada charging the schamcharge, has nothing to do with the operating carrier, and/or how they charge/not charge scamcharges in their own programs.

Originally Posted by Stranger
AC/LH run their transatlantic business jointly, as a pool. Again, can you seriously expect them to sell Aeroplan a J round trip ticket to Europe for less than $700?
ok so let me get this straight.
They are happy to do that for UA MP and LifeMiles?
Or are you saying those two programs are subsidizing our points redemptions on every ticket to the tune of $700?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
First, most of their miles aren't sold at $0.008, that is in fact a very, very small amount of the miles they sell. Most vendors are in the 1-2 cent range. Next, they have a ~15% breakage allowance, so for 15% of the miles they sell they just get the income with no expense. Lastly, they don't earn money on every redemption, nor do they plan to. OTOH, 90%+ of their redemption are for NA or overseas Y, which are always profitable.

I've had this conversation with an AP VP. They lose money on certain redemptions, always have, always will, always want to. F to Asia, they still lose money. J to Europe, maybe breakeven. They don't raise those prices to be profitable because it would make them beyond reach for 'dreamers'. People see it take 90K to go to Europe in business, think "I can do that", and stay loyal to AP to earn miles for it. But overwhelmingly, before that happens they have another need. Grandma is sick, friend is getting married, big family vacation, etc... and they instead use the miles for a NA Y trip and AP banks their earnings. Then the person goes back to focusing on Europe again and the cycle repeats.

AP has put more thought into their strategy than you would think. Having said that, they're going to have to focus on making happy customers soon or they risk losing AC in 2020.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:11 pm

TK for example, charges YQ on their awards using their miles. As does LX.

Air Canada charging the schamcharge, has nothing to do with the operating carrier, and/or how they charge/not charge scamcharges in their own programs.

ok so let me get this straight.
They are happy to do that for UA MP and LifeMiles?
Or are you saying those two programs are subsidizing our points redemptions on every ticket to the tune of $700?

You obviously know quite a bit about YQs across airlines. However, when I did my reward shopping, AE/AC was unaffordable and downright annoying. Check the following Chart:

http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/fuel-surcharge-list/
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:32 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Oakvillejetse
I see you like to play games. First, you talk DL "probably" fly yvr to yyz for $450. Secondly you use a discount airline seat picture to talk about DL. I checked your dates and JetBlue cost is around $1400 CDN one away not $675. What were you looking at, some promo ad? Something tells me that you do not fly much and day dream Canadian Airlines still being in the air.
Oh parnel, parnel, parnel....

It's me. I told you, and everyone else, that I no longer fly at all.

But I no longer day dream about CP either. I day dream about Amtrak.

As for your comments, I'm pretty sure that anyone with basic literacy skills can understand the points I was making.

And for anyone that want's to check JetBlue Mint prices, just click here: https://book.jetblue.com/B6/webqtrip.html
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:38 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
To clarify, fuel as YQ is indeed a component of the total fare, but I wouldn't say it is directly correlated to the current price of jet fuel. Also, for what it's worth, I believe in many instances YQ is now labelled 'Carrier Surcharge'
Do discount codes apply to YQ?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Allvest
Yes, at least AC is not listing their YQ under "taxes fees and charges".... BUT it's still called a "Fuel Surcharge"

Maybe not a scam, but a deception.

So... QUIT DECEIVING CUSTOMERS

oh no...look down more...in the summary Fuel Surcharge becomes "Fare and taxes" again.

So... STOP THE SCAM
Is it a scam or a deception?

Are you the type of guy who continually complains about something rather than moving on? Do you have adaptation issues?

No scam and deception with Westjet FFP.

No scamcharges w/ Delta - in fact I just booked CAN>USA with my Delta miles. All taxes and fees amounted to $63CAD. Oh, but wait, it also cost me 52,500 miles for YYZ-PHX roundtrip in Y. In Y. Is that a scam? Or, is it just part of the overall, industry-wide devaluation of FF miles.
Relax. Get over it. Adapt. Move on.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Do discount codes apply to YQ?
Of course it does, right, its a component of the total fare, not a tax

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Relax. Get over it. Adapt. Move on.
For once, we fully agree. This whole site has existed for 15+ years based on adapting to the ever-shifting goal posts of the ffp world.

To be blindly loyal, and not adapt to the changes, is just plain dumb.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:30 am
Suspended

Of course it does, right, its a component of the total fare, not a tax

For once, we fully agree. This whole site has existed for 15+ years based on adapting to the ever-shifting goal posts of the ffp world.

To be blindly loyal, and not adapt to the changes, is just plain dumb.
I am sorry, but when AC reps say it's not really a fuel surcharge, and then go on to say it's not even called that anymore, but I am calling them out on it, then IT IS DECEPTION.

Why should I move on? Because if AC repeats a lie often enough, it becomes the truth?

What a load of crap.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allvest
I am sorry, but when AC reps say it's not really a fuel surcharge, and then go on to say it's not even called that anymore, but I am calling them out on it, then IT IS DECEPTION.

Why should I move on? Because if AC repeats a lie often enough, it becomes the truth?

What a load of crap.
It is a scam, it is deception, whatever you wanna call it - only die hard AC loyalists will argue its not.
BUT
You do not have to do business with a company acting this way.
Thats all it is here - business.
That is what everyone means by move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.