Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So does the menu look different with birdswart offerings? Or is it the same. I guess I'll find out on Monday when I do AC869!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Which honestly has to be taken into account. You can put all the rules and policies and procedures in place that you like. But you will never get a perfect size portion from the caterer and you will never get the FA to execute cooking time 100% like you would in a restaurant so you need to account for these things.
Of course.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So does the menu look different with birdswart offerings? Or is it the same. I guess I'll find out on Monday when I do AC869!
Not really...appetizer, fish dish, and dessert are new...the rest looked the same
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I hope the cheese omelette isn't removed from AC869... as much as some people hate it, I actually quite like it

Maybe it will be replaced by a birdswath cheese omelette.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jeffypop75
I had the Hawksworth chocolate fondant with blackberry compote yesterday YYZ-HND and it was very good. Chose the Japanese meal so can't comment on the other new offerings. Was very pleased with the Japanese meal though.

I ate at his restaurant in YVR while staying at the hotel Georgia and the food was fantastic!!!

Looking forward to his creation on AC.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I hope the cheese omelette isn't removed from AC869... as much as some people hate it, I actually quite like it

Maybe it will be replaced by a birdswath cheese omelette.
Just flew in on 869 today. Same cheese omelette for breakfast and same standard lunch service before landing.

Nothing new to see here.

(And nothing new that this 777 would have benefited from being soaked in bleach for a week. These planes are just disgustingly dirty. I doubled up the paper towels and wiped down all the mold from around the lav faucet myself.)
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Which honestly has to be taken into account. You can put all the rules and policies and procedures in place that you like. But you will never get a perfect size portion from the caterer and you will never get the FA to execute cooking time 100% like you would in a restaurant so you need to account for these things.
Especially on AC transocean flights, where 8 out of 10 times fish is converted into a block of inedibility by the time it arrives at your seat. For some reason the domestic FAs don't cause as much damage.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ylwae
For some reason the domestic FAs don't cause as much damage.
Not so sure about that. Seems to me it's pretty similar and depends on the crew. I stay away from salmon domestically because it's invariably way too dry (easy with salmon, or for that matter, halibut) and occasionally the fat is a bit rancid, i.e. not so fresh.

Black cod/sablefish reheats well and does not get easily dry OTOH.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not so sure about that. Seems to me it's pretty similar and depends on the crew. I stay away from salmon domestically because it's invariably way too dry (easy with salmon, or for that matter, halibut) and occasionally the fat is a bit rancid, i.e. not so fresh.

Black cod/sablefish reheats well and does not get easily dry OTOH.
It can already be argued that the "proper" way to eat salmon is with a raw center. Since that can't happen for a caterer, and combined with ghetto ovens, I don't even consider Salmon to be an option for me (not that I wouldn't eat it, but I wouldn't debate having that over something else).

I also agree with cod. It sustains re heating very well, and is very resilient (fish of choice for me when I want to buy a batch and cook a few meals in advance). It's a very respectable fish too, and can even be more refined than most "common" salmon dishes.

I don't know what's served in PE, but I have a flight in that COS so maybe I will try the fish and see if I change my mind. Dreading that Y breakfast though LOL. Such a contrast from the main course...
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
(bolding mine)

Not sure it's invariable, but I agree it's quite probable.

I can think of a few salmon dishes where overheating / reheating isn't nearly as much of an issue, e.g.

- salmon in a light cream / white wine sauce
- salmon cooked alongside spinach

I wonder whether cooking the salmon separately from the other stuff would be a feasible option, though I could see how that may be too much effort for J.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Just flew in on 869 today. Same cheese omelette for breakfast and same standard lunch service before landing.

Nothing new to see here.

(And nothing new that this 777 would have benefited from being soaked in bleach for a week. These planes are just disgustingly dirty. I doubled up the paper towels and wiped down all the mold from around the lav faucet myself.)
Wait.. as in Monday? If so we were on the same flight! Where were you seated?
I was in 6D. The guy with the red and white checkered sport jacket and blue jeans.

(Actually, the menu was not the same! The entire Wine List is new and appetizer was clearly different from September's menu - will post later)

Last edited by yyznomad; Oct 6, 2015 at 12:11 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
It can already be argued that the "proper" way to eat salmon is with a raw center. Since that can't happen for a caterer, and combined with ghetto ovens, I don't even consider Salmon to be an option for me (not that I wouldn't eat it, but I wouldn't debate having that over something else).

I also agree with cod. It sustains re heating very well, and is very resilient (fish of choice for me when I want to buy a batch and cook a few meals in advance). It's a very respectable fish too, and can even be more refined than most "common" salmon dishes.

I don't know what's served in PE, but I have a flight in that COS so maybe I will try the fish and see if I change my mind. Dreading that Y breakfast though LOL. Such a contrast from the main course...
Just bring the cod as-is off the boat and we'll have one ginormous screech-in.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: AC.SE
My experience has been different. Maybe I've lucked out with the crews.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Just got off AC 15 (YYZ-HKG).....the food menu is essentially the same as before, but with the appetizer, one main and one dessert listed as a 'Hawksworth Creation'...

On my flight the appetizer was the Tuna Tataki and the main from Hawksworth was the Sablefish (with brown rice, bok choy and a miso vinaigrette)...both were excellent! The fish held up well....was cooked perfectly and was nice and flaky. There was also a chocolate torte for dessert.

Flavours of appetizer and main were really nice. Well done on this one AC!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New Wine List starting October 2015

(Only the Champagne and Port remain the same and are carryovers from previous J Wine Lists - but all Wines have been changed.)

OUR SELECTION

To complement your dining experience, Ken Chase, a world-renowned oenologist, viticulturist and key collaborator for our wine program, has chosen a selection of wines from some of the world's top vineyards for you to discover.

"I am pleased that you can join us today and invite you to explore our latest collection. As I travel the world looking for new and unknown wines, my most important mission is to bring a sense of adventure to you. Most of the wines you will try today are not available locally, so I invite you to sit back and enjoy!"

WINE LIST

CHAMPAGNE

Champagne Drappier, Carte d'Or Brut, Reims, France
Champagne Drappier has become a favourite on board, and we will continue to share with you this wonderful Cuvée.

WHITE WINES

Moko Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand
This wine delivers dramatic notes of zesty citrus and white peach with expressions of gooseberry rolling into a full-layered palate finishing and resulting in a refreshing balance of texture and crispness.
Meaty and smoked fish dishes such as salmon marry perfectly with this classic Sauvignon Blanc, as do medium-flavoured cheeses.

Henry of Pelham Family Estate Chardonnay, Niagara Peninsula, Canada
Produced from single vineyard vines, this well-balanced Chardonnay captures the full expression of its varietal. Subtle hints of smoky vanilla support the dynamic fresh aromas of pear, apple and apricot.
Creamy pastas, seafood and chicken dishes as well as soft cheese selections are superb choices for this versatile Chardonnay.

RED WINES

H J. Fabre Reserva Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina
An award-winning Malbec with fresh aromas of black cherries, spice and toast on the nose. A big structured wine with dark chocolate and mocha flavours on the finish.
The richness of this wine pairs beautifully with beef, duck and Asian-flavoured meals.

Portia Ebeia Roble Tempranillo, Ribera del Duero, Spain
Wonderfully elegant with dynamic and intense red fruit accents. Long on the palate and expressing roasted nut tones, with hints of almonds and hazelnuts lingering in the background.
Pasta, beef and spicy dishes are excellent matches for this wine.

Château Martinolles Classic Cabernet Sauvignon, Limoux, France
This wine presents bold and distinctive scents of blackcurrant and capsicum. It offers a well-structured and composed smoothness, with infused undertones of coffee.
Full-flavoured pasta meals and chicken dishes, particularly those enhanced with sweet and tangy flavours, complement this wine perfectly.

PORT

Dow's Port, Portugal
This Port has a red plus jam aroma with a silky smooth texture. The sweetness of this Port is not persistent, allowing freshness on the palate after each sip.

Occasionally, some varieties of wine may not be available. Your crew will be happy to recommend an alternative.

Last edited by yyznomad; Jan 15, 2016 at 4:12 am Reason: To add the introductary narrative and quote

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.