Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Was me.

Incidentally having looked at translation of the name of a fish served on GRU-YYZ, which was clearly incorrect, I strongly suspect the same occurs with the barramundi. There is no way they would serve a fish imported from Australia out of Europe.

Must be some more or less local fish that someone made up an inaccurate translation for. And no one checks and no one cares.
Many fish are sold at market as a particular variety when in fact they are not. There's a lot of scamming in fish.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I see that Air Canada is STILL overcooking the beef.

This is an airline that really wants to ensure its meat is very dry, dead, and overcooked.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin

This is an airline that really wants to ensure its meat is very dry, dead, and overcooked.

Well, it's interesting because the beef meal on the AC 4 in June was significantly better (post 1610). Meat wasn't overcooked as much and those vegetables were bright and crisp.

This particular AC 3 and 4 not only had overcooked beef on both flights, but served on cold plates. I mentioned it to the crew and the answer I got was "we don't have ovens to heat the plates".

So, to recap, hot main course served on ice cold plates. Sure FWP, but really?
Also, how is it the galley staff on other AC flights with plated meals manage to serve on warmed plates?

I still refuse to place warm breads or croissants or muffins on the cold plates that come with the meals.

(I suppose how the question is answered is almost as interesting as why the issue exists)

Last edited by 24left; Jul 21, 2017 at 7:16 pm Reason: Correct post number
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
This particular AC 3 and 4 not only had overcooked beef on both flights, but served on cold plates. I mentioned it to the crew and the answer I got was "we don't have ovens to heat the plates".
I suspect the truth is somewhere along the lines of "We don't care".

I cannot imagine an airline which has chosen to invest in on board plating and an improvement to business class meals on international flights to not have taken cold plates into consideration.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC E75K
I still refuse to place warm breads or croissants or muffins on the cold plates that come with the meals.
^^^
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC 3 YVR-NRT July 2017

Yes, that's ice in the champagne because it was warm. I
Sacrilege.

Too bad you cannot provide feedback on the Barbarians.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I suspect the issue is that skeleton crews are just too overworked to be able to do better. So they fill the oven and go bring it. And if you sit further back, it's more overreheated.

Back around 2000 you still would normally get a steak that was not overly dead. Not anymore.

Except occasionally on a flight with very light load in J and a good SD. And, not or.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I suspect the truth is somewhere along the lines of "We don't care".

I cannot imagine an airline which has chosen to invest in on board plating and an improvement to business class meals on international flights to not have taken cold plates into consideration.
As I recall, my last beef dish on EVA out of YYZ featured a hot plate and unlike AC, my utensils were not cold.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum

After +20 years of J travel, I have given up on Beef as a main. To be fair, I like my steak cooked rare and I understand there are many more that like it cooked to cardboard verging on charcoal so it can be rather difficult to cater to all
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
After +20 years of J travel, I have given up on Beef as a main. To be fair, I like my steak cooked rare and I understand there are many more that like it cooked to cardboard verging on charcoal so it can be rather difficult to cater to all
Fairly certain the majority of us want the beef cooked a few shades less than charcoal but unfortunately Air Canada cabin crew will not oblige. Perhaps they are only happy until we are unhappy.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Fairly certain the majority of us want the beef cooked a few shades less than charcoal but unfortunately Air Canada cabin crew will not oblige. Perhaps they are only happy until we are unhappy.
I'm sure beef is a challenge to cook precisely on an aircraft, but targeting for somewhere between Medium Rare and Medium Well would satisfy most people. I find AC beef is typically off the charts and so far past well done into "extra well done hockey puck/shoe leather/cardboard" territory. About 10% of the time, it'll be more reasonable with some pink in the middle, so it's possible, but it seem to be a rare event.

Some interesting stats on steak preferences from south of the border - basically 70% either prefer medium rare or medium, so they'd be catering for the masses if they could get it somewhere in that range.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gcashin
I'm sure beef is a challenge to cook precisely on an aircraft
Respectfully, I would suggest trying the beef on a variety of different airlines, inclusive of airlines operated by our friends south of the border, let alone various meat dishes operated by Asian and European carriers.

Air Canada is unusually rough when it comes to cooking their meat.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC SE
Respectfully, I would suggest trying the beef on a variety of different airlines, inclusive of airlines operated by our friends south of the border, let alone various meat dishes operated by Asian and European carriers.

Air Canada is unusually rough when it comes to cooking their meat.
Totally agree - I've had beef on Asiana and Singapore Airlines that was cooked perfectly. UA isn't the model of consistency, but even they seem to be better than AC at cooking beef on their overseas flights. My spouse goes for beef pretty consistently, but I tend to avoid it on AC, as about 90% of the time, it turns out the consistency of a hockey puck.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gcashin
about 90% of the time, it turns out the consistency of a hockey puck.
Just like mom used to make.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
International Business Class Meal YVR to ICN

I though the meal was great. The fish appeared to be as advertised, salmon
Attached Images    

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.