Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Often1
Focus on dimensions. I don't care if you want to bring a toaster or a change of clothes and I don't care if the container has wheels. All I care is that there are dimensions and that the item meets the dimensions.

Enforce it uniformly so that we stay away from the, "but I've carried this on 9 times in the past 2 weeks" crowd and even a so-called elite can learn.
Exactly ^ And enforce it regardless of the colour of the luggage tag attached to it

Originally Posted by MaritimeTraveller
Being the Devils Advocate here....as I always have a carry-on...what about if checked baggage was free and carry on items required a charge?

Boarding would be a much quicker process ;-)
Maybe, but imagine the outcry when you force someone to pay a carry-on luggage fee for things that must remain in the cabin, e.g. medicine, laptops, etc
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I was guessing that they were going to do this one day soon. So when I recently bought 2 carry on rollers I bought them from AC, and they are the AC branded ones. (simple black, not like the red ones the FA's have, but they say Air Canada on them).

They are exactly the maximum size allowed and I am hoping that they don't have any problems with their own carry on luggage that they sell and put their name on .
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:20 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Often1
Focus on dimensions. I don't care if you want to bring a toaster or a change of clothes and I don't care if the container has wheels. All I care is that there are dimensions and that the item meets the dimensions.

Enforce it uniformly so that we stay away from the, "but I've carried this on 9 times in the past 2 weeks" crowd and even a so-called elite can learn.

Most people who can afford an air ticket can afford a measuring tape. Now, they can learn how to use it.
^^^
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
So are these people just "eyeballing" bags, or are they taking hints from Lufthansa and coming around to every roller with a hand scale and insisting everyone have their bag sized during boarding?

Also, how strict do you think they'll be with one personal item? I bought a Briggs and Riley cabin duffel (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...116&sec=travel) last summer and while its slightly too big as a personal item, its soft and easily fits under every seat, from the airbus, to 767, Embraer, DH3, CRJ, etc. Do you think they'd hassle me about it? It always sits on top of my *very compliant* Transcend 19" roller.

The article says that this is starting in Toronto...any idea when we can expect this kind of action in other airports??
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Here's hoping they also enforce the "personal item" dimensions. That's where I see the greatest violations.

My bags fit the sizers with room to spare. This move doesn't bother me but it will be amusing to see the monster bag crowd get pulled aside.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
A buddy of mine was called out twice this weekend, once during boarding on his way to YYZ and the other time departing YYZ at transborder security.

His roller bag meets AC's size limits, wheels and handles included. The AC agent wouldn't let him put his bags into the sizer to determine if they were actually within the carry-on limits. The agent at the YYZ trans-border security line was only eye-balling it.

If they're going to implement this properly, they'll need scales and sizers to show the passenger's bag is explicitly oversized/overweight.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: FT
It's about time!!!!!!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
His roller bag meets AC's size limits, wheels and handles included. The AC agent wouldn't let him put his bags into the sizer to determine if they were actually within the carry-on limits. The agent at the YYZ trans-border security line was only eye-balling it.
Obviously, that's completely unacceptable. I hope your friend continued through security with his bags.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by 24left
I notice that for my recent DL flights YYZ-ATL, mostly RJs, have an interesting process at the gate. Whether you have Super Diamond Platinum MM on your tag or not, if it has wheels, the GAs come around with pink/orange tags for gate checking. Everyone followed instructions, not a single complaint, we all boarded and left ahead of schedule.
same thing on my flights between YYZ-LGA on AA....only a red tag. easy peasy....
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
I'm not a big fan of this new policy! I'm sometimes slightly over the limit when I unzip the expandable compartment of my carry-on roller, but it still fits in the overhead and doesn't take up any more horizontal space.

I would happy to check my bag is (A) they roll back to the 30-minute cutoff for luggage check-in, (B) delivered my bags quickly at the pickup carrisole, and (C) delivered my bags at all. I've had a number of trips with short connections where my bags never showed up and had to wait till the next day to get them.

My new routine is to always bring a carry-on -- for my 3 weeks of vacation in Europe to 2 week business trip in Toronto. I don't like to check bag because it's always been a bad experience.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by nave888
Also, how strict do you think they'll be with one personal item? I bought a Briggs and Riley cabin duffel (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...116&sec=travel) last summer and while its slightly too big as a personal item, its soft and easily fits under every seat, from the airbus, to 767, Embraer, DH3, CRJ, etc. Do you think they'd hassle me about it? It always sits on top of my *very compliant* Transcend 19" roller.
I think you're fine -- they are after people with larger rollers. I doubt they will go after duffle bags at all.

A couple months ago the check-in agents at YYC were cracking down on weight of carry-ons. I just needed to get a boarding pass (no checked bags) and they asked me to put my roller on the scale to make sure it wasn't over, before they could give me my boarding pass. I complied and was just within the limit.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE
why are we arguing about weight this is a size issue. If it fits wheels out in the overhead that should be all that matters. Yes I am aware that the overheads have a weight limit.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The main issue with this is weight. My carry-on is legal size, but 10kg is very easy to exceed. The US airlines have size restrictions, but no weight restrictions. Pretty sure a lot of us will be irate once our legal size carry-ons have to get checked due to being overweight by a couple pounds.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by nave888
They probably won't hassle you. I've seen some very large backpacks and gigantic purses go on as personal items.

I use a B&R Baseline 231X cabin bag. It fits the personal item sizer providing it is not expanded or stuffed too full. My roller is a B&R U119CX. Neither have ever been a problem. If travelling in business where I get two carry-ons I'll use the cabin bag expanded with a full-size laptop bag as the personal item.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...31X&sec=travel

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...Upright_U119CX
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
A buddy of mine was called out twice this weekend, once during boarding on his way to YYZ and the other time departing YYZ at transborder security.

If they're going to implement this properly, they'll need scales and sizers to show the passenger's bag is explicitly oversized/overweight.
Unfortunately this kind of arbitrary behaviour by AC staff will end up being a common problem, at least for the next 6-12 months.....so a lot of folks who are within both the weight and dimensions restrictions will be forced to check bags....I foresee a rough winter travel season ahead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.