Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
The limits wrt weight are b.s. and have been dropped by the competition.

The sizers do not accurately reflect the dimension limits.

The crew bags do not conform to the limits.

Fix these three things and those of us who are so very entitled will be just fine.

Further, assuming someone who is pissed off is obviously a whiner who didn't buy a tea is extraordinarily presumptuous.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by tireman77
overhead bin latch mechanisms were designed to contain a certain about of weight. In the case of turbulence, a heavy bag (with the g forces exerted by the sudden mouvement of the airplane) could exceed the tolerances of the latch mechanisms. F=MxA M being mass is the only factor that can easily controlled.
Sure, but that doesn't explain your statement that 7kg for regular pax/10 kg for frequent flyers with status is "good policy". Why isn't it 12kg for both?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:27 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Simon
The limits wrt weight are b.s. and have been dropped by the competition.

The sizers do not accurately reflect the dimension limits.

Point #1 disagree wholeheartedly. Some US/CA may not be enforcing but many other airlines are.

Point #2 Aren't the sizers the limit. Different bags fit in different overhead bins. The limits cannot be equipment related, since those change, so the sizer becomes the only standard.

Point #3, I agree, however, I'm not gong to tell them, I like getting good service. Also, many aspects of their job stinks as it is, I'm willing to give them that as a perk for carry-on.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Really? Where do you see bags being weighed at major US airports?

It's been pointed out elsewhere that the way the bars are built, it prevents legally sized bags from fitting.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by traacs
How about flight staff that fly say from YVR to YYC ? Most likely non revenue as well on standby and get seats in business class come on board with 3 pieces [or more ] luggage and take up overhead bin space. Do these bags fit in the sizers? Some but not all. This as well should be regulated.
I'm on the fence about this. Yes, it's annoying when flight crew bags take up bin space that would otherwise have been available to paying customers. But, on the other hand, they're carrying stuff because they're doing their jobs. Much like I hope they don't get harassed by CATSA screeners for carrying a regular-sized tube of toothpaste

Further, assuming someone who is pissed off is obviously a whiner who didn't buy a tea is extraordinarily presumptuous.
Word ^
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:47 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Really? Where do you see bags being weighed at major US airports?

It's been pointed out elsewhere that the way the bars are built, it prevents legally sized bags from fitting.
The world (and AC competitors) is bigger than the US. The US, in aviation travel terms is third world. NH, NZ and LX have all weighed mine (laptop bag...I don't do carry on).

My point was the sizers ARE the legal size limit now...

On a side note...I also always find it funny in here that people want the service level of SQ and ANA, the cleanliness and efficiency of LH, the points of service of Emirates, and the limited perks of the US carriers all in one, but not the confinements of each. To all who cherry pick benefits from one airline an another individually against AC's policies... Please pick your poison.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:51 pm

The weighing is just preposterous, even if OS or LH do it. For the type of bags we're all talking about here, which are not the kitchen sink, it's completely unnecessary.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by tireman77
The world (and AC competitors) is bigger than the US. The US, in aviation travel terms is third world. NH, NZ and LX have all weighed mine (laptop bag...I don't do carry on).

On a side note...I also always find it funny in here that people want the service level of SQ and ANA, the cleanliness and efficiency of LH, the points of service of Emirates, and the limited perks of the US carriers all in one, but not the confinements of each. To all who cherry pick benefits from one airline an another individually against AC's policies... Please pick your poison.
If the US is 'third world' in aviation travel terms, why is AC copying it instead of, say, BA, who introduced a cheaper economy fare when they started charging for checked baggage.

AC has chosen to go the US way of charging fees without cutting fares for those who travel with carry-on only. They've picked the poison for all of us.

Now when AC start charging US fares or offering high levels of service, people will probably stop complaining, but as value-for-money goes right now, you would be hard pressed to argue the US or EU is anywhere as close to third-world levels in aviation terms as Canada is.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
There, I fixed it.
Wow. I've been away for a day. Is Badenoch now the new CloudsAbove guy?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Agreed. If AC wants to "align itself" with Westjet, I hope AC aligns itself with weight policies of its N. American counterparts. This weight thing is royally annoying me.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ridefar
That may be a solution, but it is not an acceptable solution. Carrying 10 kgs is not acceptable for health and medical reasons for lots of people with bad backs, shoulder injuries, neck injuries, etc. Why do you think so many bags have wheels these days? Even ones that would have been called a briefcase 20 years ago? Luggage needs wheels.

I don't get why people are so self-righteous about this issue (not pointing any fingers at the above poster btw). As long as your bag fits into the overhead, meets the published dimensions (which may be different than the sizers at the airport) and is of a weight that you can lift yourself into the overhead, and you don't have too many of them, then who cares?

Nobody has a problem with complying with reasonable policies. This one isn't reasonable because: a) it is out of line with all major competitors with respect to weight; b) doesn't meet any reasonable fairness test. And by fairness I mean that if an airline, any airline, insists that I check my bag, I think it is fair that they deliver it promptly, not 30+ minutes after landing (and that is not just a problem at YYZ, try YYC US arrivals), and that they take full responsibility for the contents if damaged or lost as long as they are properly packed.

AC fails to be reasonable in both categories.
Agreed. Especially the part about not being reasonable and the part about back problems. I feel strongly about both.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ffsim
What's with the sudden lack of reading skills? Since when does suggesting a change to the current limits imply ignoring said limits?

Let me spell it out: the current limit of 10kg is too low. Most other North American airlines, especially those to which AC likes to compare itself, have eliminated carry-on limits.

Furthermore, if a bag fits in AC's sizers and can be lifted into the bin by the passenger, there should be no reason for the gate agent to tag it and send it below.

Sadly, you wouldn't get to laugh out loud while I quietly board ahead of you and place my bag in the overhead bin with speed and ease.
This is the same self-indulgent bleating that comes from chronic speeders.

They pay no attention to the limits even though they know what they are. When the cruisers show up at the side of the road and the tickets start being handed out they argue and angrily demand the speed limits be raised while furiously pointing to higher limits in other jurisdictions.

Meanwhile the rest of us drive by and wave while they are pulled over at the side of the road.

Suck it up BOWS (Bags of Weight and Size.) Your days of breaking the rules are nearing an end and every time you go to the gate you'll be wondering if this is the day you get caught.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Badenoch
This is the same self-indulgent bleating that comes from chronic speeders.

They pay no attention to the limits even though they know what they are. When the cruisers show up at the side of the road and the tickets start being handed out they argue and angrily demand the speed limits be raised while furiously pointing to higher limits in other jurisdictions.

Meanwhile the rest of us drive by and wave while they are pulled over at the side of the road.

Suck it up BOWS (Bags of Weight and Size.) Your days of breaking the rules are nearing an end and every time you go to the gate you'll be wondering if this is the day you get caught.
How often do you travel? I don't disagree about rules, but I think AC should have a different weight limit for those who travel weekly. I will not spend my life waiting around for a bag when others wait once a year. DYKWIA? LOL, i'm kidding - ish.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
How often do you travel? I don't disagree about rules, but I think AC should have a different weight limit for those who travel weekly. I will not spend my life waiting around for a bag when others wait once a year. DYKWIA? LOL, i'm kidding - ish.
I'd say a couple dozen flights each year at least so say bi-weekly. The flights aren't evenly spread out so I might go a couple or three months on the ground and then in the air constantly for a few weeks. Most are business trips with half in North America and the others split between Europe, Asia and Africa.

I don't want to wait around either nor do I want to go through customs and pick up a checked bag transiting through JFK when my carry-on and I can stay airside. I rarely check unless going to winter destinations and if not making multiple stops.

Last edited by Badenoch; Oct 2, 2014 at 5:32 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
I'm sitting here on 822, pondering whether the guy in the seat behinds guitar would fit in the bag sizer? Perhaps it's one of those folding guitars?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.