Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why can't AC block next seat for SEs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty

Years ago Canadian was able to block seats for its top tier members. AC is not able to do this today.

This is a shame and frankly an insult to top tier members who deserve something better. I am not talking about u/g to J, only to have more room and comfort in Y.

If Canadian could do it some 20 yrs ago, it is about time AC could do it today. I cannot tell you the number of times I have been on flights to be stuck with someone next to me when there are empty seats in other rows. It really pisses me off and makes me feel like a lesser customer despite my status of a long time SE and almost 2MM.

AC the time has come for this enhancement for your FF members!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Years ago Canadian was able to block seats for its top tier members. AC is not able to do this today.

This is a shame and frankly an insult to top tier members who deserve something better. I am not talking about u/g to J, only to have more room and comfort in Y.

If Canadian could do it some 20 yrs ago, it is about time AC could do it today. I cannot tell you the number of times I have been on flights to be stuck with someone next to me when there are empty seats in other rows. It really pisses me off and makes me feel like a lesser customer despite my status of a long time SE and almost 2MM.

If they do it, it would be less likely that people would :

- Pay for a LMU (less revenue for AC)
- Pay for Business class from the beginning knowing that an empty neighbour seat is acceptable and "enough" for good enough comfort
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: Former AC SE, AC50KMM lifetime, IC Plat Ambassador, Fairmont Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Great suggestion! SEs and other elites are permitted "preferred" seating but my understanding is that for those that have not chosen seat assignment due to Tango or other reasons, the usual middle "last choice" seats are assigned from front to back. A prior thread discussed this as my information. If AC assigned these seats from back to front, this would allow a passive "blocked" seat. This would allow true "preferential" seating and a preferred seat would only be filled if all the rear seats were filled first.

I did ask AC to block the middle seat on a previous flight when I was booked into J and the equipment was changed to non-J. I was not happy at the gate with the change but somehow my request was granted since the flight was not full (but pretty close).
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I don't DISAGREE, when there's open seats this would be a great idea.

But let me pose this question to you. Let's say you've chosen 12C for free as an SE.

A couple is willing to PAY for 12B and 12A...you're not suggesting that AC deny this are you? That's literally throwing money away for them.

If there was no such thing as preferred seats this would be easier. Because as an SE you could just pick 12C they'd automatically block 12B (Assuming you got there first, they can't be kicking people out of seats they'd selected, free or not) and we'd move on. But with the pay-for program I don't know that this really works.

Maybe they could do this only for non-preferred seats, but how often would you really take a non-preferred seat?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
As discussed in another thread, AC's IT is incapable of assigning your preferred seat selection (aisle vs window).

This has been discussed ad nauseum even in the current Bens thread. Blocking the middle seat would require some financial investment, money that could be better spent on executive bonuses. So, not going to happen.

BTW, LH does this for all Star Gold passengers.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I have not been on a flight in a long time that isn't full to the gills. It seems even less worth the IT investment to enable this when it's going to end up as only a theoretical block. Maybe I am flying all the wrong places...
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond

This would be a great perk. I remember when flying bmi a few years back I always had the seat next to me blocked as a AC*G-this was a great perk I don't think I have seen anyone else in * adopt.

SYD/YYZ
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: AC SE; Bonvoy Titanium
Lufthansa is doing that for Senators and Hon Circle members. It usually works well. Of course since preferred seats are for sale this option is a bit trickier to implement.
I like the idea of assigning the empty seats from the back. A good compromise.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:03 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold

While I agree its a shame, I don't know if I would characterise it as an 'insult'. It's not like AC is doing this maliciously, to deliberately pi** off its SEs.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SYD/YYZ
This would be a great perk. I remember when flying bmi a few years back I always had the seat next to me blocked as a AC*G-this was a great perk I don't think I have seen anyone else in * adopt.

SYD/YYZ
Originally Posted by CanTraveller
Lufthansa is doing that for Senators and Hon Circle members. It usually works well. Of course since preferred seats are for sale this option is a bit trickier to implement.
I like the idea of assigning the empty seats from the back. A good compromise.
LH is doing this for ALL Star Gold members. I remember booking my seat and giving the seat number to my GF so she could sit beside me, and it didn't matter how many times I changed seats, the seat beside me was never available! That's when I realized that LH offers seat blocking. It's only on very full flights that I don't have an empty seat beside me. Kudos to LH. ^^^
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:45 am

If this board had a "top 10 oldest and most frequently reoccuring discussions" thread, this would would probably make top 3, right after "Why so many crew in J".
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by blue2002
If this board had a "top 10 oldest and most frequently reoccuring discussions" thread, this would would probably make top 3, right after "Why so many crew in J".
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:46 am
Flying Blue Director

As some have alluded to, this is an IT issue. Seat assignments at check in are handled by DCS, which is a legacy system. We have looked into implementing this in the past, but it would actually be a major investment believe it or not (anything touching legacy IT systems always seems to be). It's not that we don't hear you guys, but rather that it's hard to make a solid business case to justify this kind of expense - i.e. sure, our Elite members would appreciate the change, but would it lead to incremental flying? Would revenues increase? I imagine many of you might deal with finance committees in your jobs, and ours is no different: they keep us honest.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
As some have alluded to, this is an IT issue. Seat assignments at check in are handled by DCS, which is a legacy system. We have looked into implementing this in the past, but it would actually be a major investment believe it or not (anything touching legacy IT systems always seems to be). It's not that we don't hear you guys, but rather that it's hard to make a solid business case to justify this kind of expense - i.e. sure, our Elite members would appreciate the change, but would it lead to incremental flying? Would revenues increase? I imagine many of you might deal with finance committees in your jobs, and ours is no different: they keep us honest.
Totally understood. I think financial committees in our jobs also not only keep us honest, but ANNOYED
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
As a one off the business case is no doubt harder! And unfortunately I do not know enough about AC's internal workings and contracts to know what is or is not possible (nor do I expect this info to be shared here).

But, if I make some presumptions, based on an average IT contract with IBM. It may be possible to bring back some of the IT changes in-house. Hiring a small IT team internally, tasked and focused to work only on minor improvements. Like this, ability to change all seats online, etc etc.

The salary cost of the team yearly may only be the cost of a couple IBM changes, so if you bundled them together as such there might be a business case for a much bigger improvement, and with Vancouver becoming a majour IT city there is the talent in Canada to do so.

But I'm really going out on a limb here and guessing because I just don't have enough info to make a post I am confident to stand behind here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.