Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why can't AC block next seat for SEs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K

Concierges used to block seats for SE, but AC put an end to this a few years back.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Years ago Canadian was able to block seats for its top tier members. AC is not able to do this today.

This is a shame and frankly an insult to top tier members who deserve something better. I am not talking about u/g to J, only to have more room and comfort in Y.

If Canadian could do it some 20 yrs ago, it is about time AC could do it today. I cannot tell you the number of times I have been on flights to be stuck with someone next to me when there are empty seats in other rows. It really pisses me off and makes me feel like a lesser customer despite my status of a long time SE and almost 2MM.

AC the time has come for this enhancement for your FF members!
Hear hear! Even E50Ks only when loads permit of course. But I know that is pipe dream. Even for super-duper elites it's likely a dream.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:12 pm

Doesn't sound very realistic, and would lead to a lot of customer service problems. After all, once the door closes, its not uncommon for people to move around to gain a seat next to their family/business partner/etc. There's no way that they could guarantee this wouldn't conflict with the 'blocked' seat of a SE.

A sure-fire way to guarantee a second seat is simply to buy the seat, or fly in J. Frequent flyers should be pressuring their employers to pay for a class of service proper to their needs instead of freeloading on the cheap Y fares.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
I don't think this is impossible to achieve - on flights that are, say, 75% full or less.

At T-24h, simply make those seats unavailable for those who haven't selected their seats. I'd even extend this to all Elite/Prestige members, depending on the flight load; if the GA/automated system started with the SEs and then worked its way down the list.

It wouldn't be guaranteed for anyone, but it would be a nice 'perk' (re: non-guaranteed enhancement) that wouldn't cost AC really anything (unless there's a lot of red tape that AC IT has to deal with...) There could be caveats, such as it does not extend to those in window/aisle Preferred seating (since AC wants to get people to pay for the middle seat in those 'zones').
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by YEGcg
I don't think this is impossible to achieve - on flights that are, say, 75% full or less.

At T-24h, simply make those seats unavailable for those who haven't selected their seats. I'd even extend this to all Elite/Prestige members, depending on the flight load; if the GA/automated system started with the SEs and then worked its way down the list.

It wouldn't be guaranteed for anyone, but it would be a nice 'perk' (re: non-guaranteed enhancement) that wouldn't cost AC really anything (unless there's a lot of red tape that AC IT has to deal with...) There could be caveats, such as it does not extend to those in window/aisle Preferred seating (since AC wants to get people to pay for the middle seat in those 'zones').
With the charging for Preferred seats, there's a bit of that happening already. Not guaranteed or anything but, since they charge for the seats at check-in it will discourage some people sitting up front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.