Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Emergency landing: don't collect miles. Classy, real classy.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emergency landing: don't collect miles. Classy, real classy.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Emergency landing: don't collect miles. Classy, real classy.

As has already been discussed, AC 810 departed YYZ on Aug 22, 2014 finished its journey to IST somewhat early - at LHR - due to an engine problem. I previously described my rather mixed experience with AC ground handling at LHR in the "over Winnipeg" thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23419032-post1672.html .

Now for the kicker: Aeroplan will not credit miles for the flight, because "the airline records indicate the flight was cancelled that day".

Thank you Air Canada. Thank you Aeroplan. Brilliant, just brilliant.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blue2002
As has already been discussed, AC 810 departed YYZ on Aug 22, 2014 finished its journey to IST somewhat early - at LHR - due to an engine problem. I previously described my rather mixed experience with AC ground handling at LHR in the "over Winnipeg" thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23419032-post1672.html .

Now for the kicker: Aeroplan will not credit miles for the flight, because "the airline records indicate the flight was cancelled that day".

Reach out to Ben.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
There's really no reason they shouldn't be crediting you at least to LHR, which is what I assume they'll do with some prodding. It shouldn't really be necessary but it will be.

I had a bit of a similar issue when I missed my connection and made one the next day. They credited me for both, then subtracted them both a couple days later.

I'm not sure how automatic everything is on their end but I'm assuming a call to a "manager" at AP or whatever would solve this. You got to LHR somehow right? You've got a boarding pass. That's pretty good evidence for me.

If you've already done this and they're still insisting that they won't be crediting you for even XXX-LHR then that's bs.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb

Well obviously you're due your money back then.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:17 am

What a crock.

This reminds me of The Onion headline: "Delta Cancels Flight In MidAir"
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: *G
It's this sort of sheer stupidity that reinforces the bad rap AC gets so often, and particularly also shows up the problems associated with the separation between AC and AE. Based on this incident, I bet this sort of thing happens more often than we realize, and AC/AE just do not bother to proactively deal with it.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by fin 645
It's this sort of sheer stupidity that reinforces the bad rap AC gets so often, and particularly also shows up the problems associated with the separation between AC and AE. Based on this incident, I bet this sort of thing happens more often than we realize, and AC/AE just do not bother to proactively deal with it.
Ding, ding, we have a winner! ^

I agree, this is the kind of nonsense that could easily be avoided if there some proactive people at both AC and AE - it should not be this frustrating for passengers.

Today, I am noticing the latest enhancement is that AC and AE are showing different mileage balances for my account.

The fun never ends with AC and AE IT.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE
I am having the same issue right now...flew AC 33 from YYZ-SYD, departure from YVR was delayed to next morning, so they cancelled the flight number (33) and assigned a new one. I received mileage for the new flight (YVR-SYD) but not for AC 33 from YYZ-YVR. Was denied online mileage request and now am waiting response after sending in a copy of my BP.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
+1
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Hilarious!

Forward the notification of cancelled flight to your credit card company and tell them you want your money back! Too funny.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.

out of curiosity .. how did you get to Istanbul ? i assume they got the pax there one way or another.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:22 pm

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...es-points.html

And PM me if you like.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by fin 645
And then AC/AP likes to blame its customers for user error.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karachi
out of curiosity .. how did you get to Istanbul ? i assume they got the pax there one way or another.
AUH was my final destination. Made it on EY direct from LHR.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yeah, that is pretty brutal... you pay for flight that earns status miles based on your fare class, you board and sit through your flight in good faith... your flight gets canceled due to emergency landing through ZERO fault of your own, and yet you can't even get the status miles that your fare class that you paid for allowed you.

Sorry, but the handling of this is just pathetic... com'on AE/AC. Do something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.