Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone use a CPAP on board?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Anyone use a CPAP on board?

I just got home after picking up some friends from YVR. One of them a wreck because she was forbidden by crew from using her CPAP and thus couldn't sleep. I don't know how many watts it draws but I would have thought that it wouldn't be more than the power supply of a laptop. it was in J on the 777-300ER from LHR. She used it without problem on the outbound flight on LH, in fact the FA even brought her an adapter.
i looked on the AC website but can't find specific info other than it's a 110V plug. Does anyone know if this denial was legitimate or yet another example of an overly officious FA, possibly senior.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
CPAP is permitted on the plane. The FA made an error.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../pop_cpap.html
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:15 pm

AC Policy:

"No medical approval is required for customers travelling with a CPAP or BPAP machine that is required for the treatment of sleep apnea only. However, you must contact Air Canada Reservations if you plan on bringing the machine on board with you, even if you will not be using it."

Did she alert AC in advance she would have it?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
CPAP is permitted on the plane. The FA made an error.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../pop_cpap.html
i found that article but it only mentions bringing the CPAP on board and not actually plugging it in to use it.

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
AC Policy:

"No medical approval is required for customers travelling with a CPAP or BPAP machine that is required for the treatment of sleep apnea only. However, you must contact Air Canada Reservations if you plan on bringing the machine on board with you, even if you will not be using it."

I doubt that she did since she was surprised by situation. I'll find out more in a couple of days when they get over their jet lag and we have a glass of wine or three together.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC S100K / AC-2MM
Actually, the flight attendant did NOT make an error. Read further down in the link above:

Carry-on baggage restrictions:

Portable battery-powered medical devices are accepted as carry-on baggage only under the following conditions:

The device must not exceed 23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm (9" x 16" x 22") in size and 10 kg (22 lb) in weight. If the device exceeds maximum allowable size or weight, it must be transported as checked baggage.
The in-seat power outlets in our aircraft are not designed for use with medical devices, which require constant current. For this reason, you may not use the in-seat power supply to power your CPAP, BPAP or other medical device during the flight, or to recharge the batteries for these devices.

As far as traveling with them, I have been traveling with my CPAP machine for years and hundreds of flights but I have never even tried to use it in flight for the above reason.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:03 pm

Air Canada, as with so many other issues, are totally anal about CPAP usage. Just as the OP's acquaintance experienced, I have happily used my CPAP on some J flights, whereas on a couple of other legs the FA decided to be a Nazi. That is one reason why I have stopped flying AC in J.
quinzinho likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
AC Policy:

What is the rationale for advising AC.....even if you will not be using it?

There are no batteries in a CPAP.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAman
Actually, the flight attendant did NOT make an error. Read further down in the link above:

Carry-on baggage restrictions:

Portable battery-powered medical devices are accepted as carry-on baggage only under the following conditions:

The device must not exceed 23 cm x 40 cm x 55 cm (9" x 16" x 22") in size and 10 kg (22 lb) in weight. If the device exceeds maximum allowable size or weight, it must be transported as checked baggage.
The in-seat power outlets in our aircraft are not designed for use with medical devices, which require constant current. For this reason, you may not use the in-seat power supply to power your CPAP, BPAP or other medical device during the flight, or to recharge the batteries for these devices.

As far as traveling with them, I have been traveling with my CPAP machine for years and hundreds of flights but I have never even tried to use it in flight for the above reason.
Thanks for that LAman. I didn't see that since the whole thing is TLDR and the beginning of that section mentions battery powered devices.

I guess AC planes are special and different from most other airlines. Yet another reason to choose to fly AC.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by TinDrum
Air Canada, as with so many other issues, are totally anal about CPAP usage. Just as the OP's acquaintance experienced, I have happily used my CPAP on some J flights, whereas on a couple of other legs the FA decided to be a Nazi. That is one reason why I have stopped flying AC in J.
Regardless of what anyone may feel about FAs, good or bad, your statement in calling some AC FA's Nazis because they obey the rules and do not permit you to break them is atrocious and disgusting.

You would do well to read the rules regarding CPAPs. You need Air Canada's PRIOR PERMISSION before even bringing CPAPs in your carry-on.

At no stage is there an indication that they may ever be used on board.

In fact, based upon the published rules, FAs would be quite within their rights to confiscate unauthorised CPAPs for the duration of the flight.

Furthermore, anyone using ANY electronics connected to the aircraft 110v ac power supply does so only with the permission of AC and not as a given right. Some electronics drawing too much current could in theory jeopardise the aircraft safety.
PLeblond likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 19, 2014 at 3:13 pm
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: 100K
Originally Posted by TemboOne
Regardless of what anyone may feel about FAs, good or bad, your statement in calling some AC FA's Nazis because they obey the rules and do not permit you to break them is atrocious and disgusting.

You would do well to read the rules regarding CPAPs. You need Air Canada's PRIOR PERMISSION before even bringing CPAPs in your carry-on.

At no stage is there an indication that they may ever be used on board.

In fact, based upon the published rules, FAs would be quite within their rights to confiscate unauthorised CPAPs for the duration of the flight.

Furthermore, anyone using ANY electronics connected to the aircraft 110v ac power supply does so only with the permission of AC and not as a given right. Some electronics drawing too much current could in theory jeopardise the aircraft safety.
really?? so if I plug in my electronic device that draws too much power I can jeopardize the safety of the airplane? can you please elaborate?
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TemboOne
Some electronics drawing too much current could in theory jeopardise the aircraft safety.
i thought that's what fuses were for.

if i plug a device that requires more current than the circuit can safely provide, a circuit breaker (fuse) would trip before any damage can be done. this might inconvenience people with other devices plugged into the same circuit since they would lose power until the circuit breaker were reset but i doubt it would present a danger.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
But but surely the AP is on the same bus? When that breaker blows, down she goes!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
But but surely the AP is on the same bus? When that breaker blows, down she goes!
Redundancy......there is more than one system.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise
i thought that's what fuses were for.

if i plug a device that requires more current than the circuit can safely provide, a circuit breaker (fuse) would trip before any damage can be done. this might inconvenience people with other devices plugged into the same circuit since they would lose power until the circuit breaker were reset but i doubt it would present a danger.
Sorry folks but it seems that we're drifting off track a bit here.

However, in the interest of safety, let me clarify. The whole point of fuses and breakers is to provide an emergency disconnect in the event of an accidental circuit overload; not to see how much you can connect before the lights go out!

Whether or not CPAPs or other medical devices can draw too much current on an aircraft's limited electrical resources I don't know.

However, the rules are there for a reason and AC's FAs should be commended for upholding the restriction. Ideally FAs should be able to shut off power to non-compliant passengers! Heavy handed maybe, but the option should be available as a last resort.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
Actually the breaker blowing is good.^

It's the lack of breakers, or overloaded or weak circuits that can be the problem. Unfortunately human nature being what it is, most people tend to reset a tripped breaker rather than investigate the cause.

Last edited by TemboOne; Sep 21, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.