Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update on Baggage Fees for Canada/US/Caribbean Itineraries

Update on Baggage Fees for Canada/US/Caribbean Itineraries

Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by The Lev
Given that AE numbers are not normally entered into redemption itineraries, I guess this means manually phoning in to add AE number or when we do OLCI it will charge us for bags and we'll have to show our card at check-in.
That is worth an effort, but it doesn't work so well always. The ticketing members's FFP number seems to stick to the eticket (or ticketed PNR) somehow. This was never a problem in the era of paper tickets. At some point in the era of etickets, it sort of became a problem across multiple Star Alliance carriers at around the same time.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Easier way to have free bag, get *S by A3. 3000 miles and voila you are *S for at least 3 years
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Easier way to have free bag, get *S by A3. 3000 miles and voila you are *S for at least 3 years
Yeah, but you'd have to fly 12000 (STLAK) or 6000 (GW) miles on lower fares.

I echo many other FTers in saying that I'm not confident loyalty is really worth it anymore with air carriers. Just get the right credit card and fly on the lowest fares you can find. It's a shame too, since I remember taking my first flight (with AC!) on YEG-YYC and being in awe of the experience as a non-status member. I was also six years old . But then, the market will support what the market will support.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:21 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Lev
Given that AE numbers are not normally entered into redemption itineraries, I guess this means manually phoning in to add AE number or when we do OLCI it will charge us for bags and we'll have to show our card at check-in.
Correct. An award PNR can't actually have a FQTV field associated with it (uses FQTR instead; adding a FQTV actually requires overriding the system) so adding to the airport system when using OLCI or showing your card at check in should grant you your status privileges.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,ex-AC*SE,ex-AC*E,ex-AC*P, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Gold, HH Gold
Angry

The race to the bottom continues
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:23 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I assume that BL was referring to economy class award ticket. Primary cardholders of CIBC/TD Aerogold/Aeroplan Visa Infinite and Visa Infinite Privilege cards continue to get first checked bag free when flying on an Aeroplan economy class award ticket. BL already clarified that the status of the actual traveller counts, not who "paid" the tickets. However, it was a little surprise for BL to admit potential YMMV.
I mentioned YMMV simply because, due to the various ways tickets are issued and booked, modified, and ticketed, sometimes the systems don't always talk nicely to each other. Thus sometimes it wants to charge a SE for baggage but won't charge a basic member, etc. Usually an agent will catch this and enforce the correct policy.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
This is a step in the right direction! Allow passengers to pay for the services they use and not pay for services they dont use..This will help to keep prices lower for everyone..If I dont want to check bags,then I dont have to pay for it..Thanks Air Canada..This is the right thing to do! ^
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: FT
racing to the bottom AC.

at least this was not delivered with some punchy marketing crap to somehow suggest they are doing this to help us.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
This is a step in the right direction! Allow passengers to pay for the services they use and not pay for services they dont use..This will help to keep prices lower for everyone..If I dont want to check bags,then I dont have to pay for it..Thanks Air Canada..This is the right thing to do! ^
Ha. Who are you kidding? Just check out the discount you get flying the AC777HD versus a regular 777 between YVR and YYZ. one would think AC should discount your fare if they ram you in a sardine can.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
... and the overhead bin space wars get worse.

When are your GAs (and everyone else in the process) going to start enforcing carryon size rules?
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
Ha. Who are you kidding? Just check out the discount you get flying the AC777HD versus a regular 777 between YVR and YYZ. one would think AC should discount your fare if they ram you in a sardine can.
Not trying to incite an argument, but I don't understand the logic here. Why would we willingly and unnecessarily discount our product? What business would do that? If prices are high, it's because seats are full and people are paying them...

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Wow. The very next day, huh?
Couldn't wait to start charging.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:40 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mendy7511
Wow. The very next day, huh?
Couldn't wait to start charging.
We waited a whole 4 days
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
Did all prices go down by $25 today to accomodate the people who dont carry luggage?

You are dellusional thinking a bag fee will lower prices.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I like that Latitude fares are getting more free bags, and that there's now another difference between Tango and Flex.

However, it's a little disappointing that the US seems to be the exception for Flex fares getting one bag free.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.