Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

WS charges for first checked bag - how long until AC follows suit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS charges for first checked bag - how long until AC follows suit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:36 am

Just think of this as an actual enhancement to the FF program, free bag that you may actually use. As opposed to a 2nd or 3rd bag. Downside, if you were taking the bag for a companion, it ends up more of negative enhancement, I guess a + and a -, makes it a neutral in terms of improving the FF program.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I like that its only on Tango fares, and more importantly, I like that Latitude now gets 2 free bags on domestic and transborder routes. I always felt that charging Y/B for bags was harsh, so I think its a good change.

I wonder what AC will do with the student flight passes though? They book into Tango, and I doubt anyone who bought the pass looking for a "deal" will be impressed to be charged $50 round trip to check a single piece of luggage...

I'm also happy they didn't cut any Altitude allowances. It is nice to have the ability to check 3 bags, even if I only use it once a year!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by nave888
I wonder what AC will do with the student flight passes though? They book into Tango, and I doubt anyone who bought the pass looking for a "deal" will be impressed to be charged $50 round trip to check a single piece of luggage...
Existing ticketholders are grandfathered with the rules at time of purchase... I would assume that covers passholders as well?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by HangTen
I don't want to burst any bubbles here, but Air Canada's own financial statements confirm a net loss of $124m over the last 3 quarters.
Not to derail this thread buy my comment was in relation to AC's overzealousness in reporting its record breaking year of records

See:

"I am extremely pleased to report Air Canada's best full year financial performance in the Corporation's history," said Calin Rovinescu, President and Chief Executive Officer''

I'm aware AC does not follow/believe in GAAP/IFRS but that's another story.

If AC wants to tout their strong financial record, that makes the case of new ancillary fees needed as weak.

If AC wants wants claim they are broke (with austerity measures starting at the top), then that can make their case for new ancillary fees much credible.

Can't/shouldn't have it both ways.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: Horrorplan/Priceline Junkie
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
I bet 3 days - which of you guys has my winnings?
Your winnings were spent on - wait for it - the new baggage fees.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
It is interesting to note that the announcement completely ignores those who are primary cardholder of a CIBC/TD Aerogold/Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card, who are supposed to be entitled to one free checked bag when flying AC on any fare.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Clipper801
It is interesting to note that the announcement completely ignores those who are primary cardholder of a CIBC/TD Aerogold/Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card, who are supposed to be entitled to one free checked bag when flying AC on any fare.
It's also interesting to note no one from AC has officially announced it here on FT as well.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That caps AC being in the ranks of the lower-service-at-a-higher-price carriers.

The race to the bottom continues, and so fast at that.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
I find it reasonable as it is for Tango only, and every status holder (even *S) has 1st bag free. Just credit 3000 miles to A3 to be *S and you will get 3 years at least of 1st bag free.
But I imagine the fee will hit Flex and *S eventually...
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:50 am

This was a huge error on AC part. Yes in the short term this will bring in some cash. But WJ was getting ALOT of bad press and social media over this.

One of the ways WJ was able to steal so much of the domestic market share over AC was their marketing as a low cost airline as well as people friendly. It worked magically even if WJ fares were not any lower then AC. AC has not been able to break this image effectively.

This was a huge opening for AC to market themselves in a positive manner in comparison to Westjet. Yes they would lose the cash in short term but in the long term this was a real opportunity to start re-branding themselves to customers and capitalizing on West Jet NOT being passenger friendly.

Again however - short sighted - as they have lost what could have been a huge marketing advantage that would have paid off in years to come.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:01 am

I am actually wondering if one of those "we will do it if you do it" meeting took place ahead of time; 3 days apart is just too much of a coincidence. I, for one, don't believe that a giant bureaucracy like AC can act that fast, they wouldn't even be able get a team meeting in such a short time.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by llbean
This was a huge error on AC part. Yes in the short term this will bring in some cash. But WJ was getting ALOT of bad press and social media over this.

One of the ways WJ was able to steal so much of the domestic market share over AC was their marketing as a low cost airline as well as people friendly. It worked magically even if WJ fares were not any lower then AC. AC has not been able to break this image effectively.

This was a huge opening for AC to market themselves in a positive manner in comparison to Westjet. Yes they would lose the cash in short term but in the long term this was a real opportunity to start re-branding themselves to customers and capitalizing on West Jet NOT being passenger friendly.

Again however - short sighted - as they have lost what could have been a huge marketing advantage that would have paid off in years to come.
The move was LONG overdue. There's exactly $0 to be earned from maintaining "free" checked bags, as Canadians are even more price sensitive than Americans, killing the marketing benefit of the old policy.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: FT
they took slower than i thought they would. usually leeches start sucking blood right away.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by llbean
...and in the end, people will continue to buy tickets on AC and WS.

What else are they going to do? Take Via / Amtrak? Fly a US carrier (and pay bag fees)?

In the end, bad press and social media hits will not hurt the bottom line.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
Originally Posted by Qster
I am actually wondering if one of those "we will do it if you do it" meeting took place ahead of time; 3 days apart is just too much of a coincidence. I, for one, don't believe that a giant bureaucracy like AC can act that fast, they wouldn't even be able get a team meeting in such a short time.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.